Process Engineer - Crude and Vacuum Distillation Unit
Job description / Role
Aramco energizes the world economy.
Aramco occupies a unique position in the global energy industry. We are the world's largest producer of hydrocarbons (oil and gas), with the lowest upstream carbon intensity of any major producer.
With our significant investment in technology and infrastructure, we strive to maximize the value of the energy we produce for the world along with a commitment to enhance Aramco's value to society.
Headquartered in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and with offices around the world, we combine market discipline with a generations' spanning view of the future, born of our nine decades experience as responsible stewards of the Kingdom's vast hydrocarbon resources. This responsibility has driven us to deliver significant societal and economic benefits to not just the Kingdom, but also to a vast number of communities, economies, and countries that rely on the vital and reliable energy that we supply.
We are one of the most profitable companies in the world, as well as amongst the top five global companies by market capitalization.
We are seeking a Downstream Process Engineer with an experience in Crude and Vacuum Distillation Units to join the Global Manufacturing Excellence (GME) organization, under the Downstream Global Manufacturing, to support and oversee the performances of Saudi Aramco global manufacturing assets.
Your primary role is to provide process engineering, operations and technical process expertise to monitor, optimize, and drive performance improvement programs for refineries' atmospheric crude distillation units (CDU) and vacuum distillation units (VDU), including remote and field technical advisory support, benchmarking, and CDU and VDU technology knowledge management and exchange. Drive the performance improvement programs which enhance process safety, optimize manufacturing cost, and increase plant reliability.
As the successful candidate you will be required to perform the following:
- Assess operations of atmospheric crude distillation units (CDU) and vacuum distillation units (VDU) existing facilities to optimize operation by developing/set key performance indicators (KPIs) that will represent performances in different aspects such as profitability, operability, energy efficiency, reliability, process safety, etc.
- Perform process parameters gap analysis and benchmarking among Global Manufacturing facilities (wholly-owned and affiliates) having CDU and VDU process technologies to capture and effectively share best practices, lesson learned, areas for improvements, and technical recommendations.
- Perform benchmarking and best practices technical exchange workshops internally among Global Manufacturing facilities (wholly-owned and affiliates) having CDU and VDU process technologies. Execution and deliverables of the workshops will be based on Benchmarking & Best Practices Exchange Agreement among Global Manufacturing facilities.
- Issue bi-monthly CDU and VDU technical best practices bulletin for sharing within Global Manufacturing facilities.
- Provide on-demand remote and/or field technical advisory support to Global Manufacturing facilities on matters concerning the operation of CDU and VDU which may include but not limited to process troubleshooting, start-up and shutdown activities, capacity test runs, technology pilot testing, and process design. Issue service report for every support activity provided highlighting the facilities need, actions taken, results, and lessons learned.
- Enhance the competitiveness of CDU and VDU asset base by capturing integration opportunities between process units and facilities.
- Conduct internal assessments on CDU and VDU process engineering standards using Saudi Aramco engineering standard references. Highlight any deviations or better standards applied by affiliates for endorsement to facility management or Saudi Aramco Central Engineering. Support the implementation of relevant engineering standards to CDU and VDU across Global Manufacturing upon each facility management's approval.
- Participate on demand with Business Plan development and coordinate with stakeholders for possible capital investments on assigned process units and support techno-economic evaluations required by Global manufacturing portfolio.
- Recommend and coordinate proven technology deployments in atmospheric crude distillation units (CDU) and vacuum distillation units (VDU). Liaise with Engineering Services Department or Contracting Unit for any technology assessment and piloting support.
- Collaborate with Joint venture companies, Saudi Aramco subsidiaries, and third-party companies to consolidate best practices related to the operation of CDU and VDU. Coordinate implementation of suitable best practices to facilities.
- Participate as subject matter experts on external benchmarking with 3rd party entities, which include but not limited to, Japan Cooperation Council Petroleum (JCCP), Gulf Downstream Association (GDA) and Saudi Aramco Committees.
- Act as the Admin Area overall coordinator for cascading and driving Global Manufacturing and Corporate programs to the operating facilities for execution and effective monitoring. represent the Global Manufacturing Admin Area in corporate committees and initiatives concerning his field of expertise.
- Ensure continuous learning on CDU and VDU process engineering and technology specialist skills to ensure expertise is preserved through internal and external trainings. Provide in-house technical trainings to Global Manufacturing facilities when needed in specific process topics related to the CDU and VDU operations.
You must hold a Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering or related specialization. An advanced degree is preferred.
A minimum of 15 years' experience in refinery operations, engineering and process design but at the very least 10 years direct experience in handling CDU and VDU process units. Experience with more than one operating facility is strongly desirable.
You should be able to demonstrate a solid background developing and understanding the key performance indicators (KPI) involved in operating the process units concerned in terms of meeting the crude feed and product specifications, energy efficiency, asset management, economics, etc. Knowledge of Solomon indices associated with operation of the process units concerned is an advantage.
Familiarity and understanding of the best practices, design principles, international engineering standards and specifications relevant to operation of the concerned process units is required.
Experience in Turnaround, Start-up, Shutdowns, Management of change (MOC), HAZOP's and performing technical assessments, investigations and case studies is an advantage.
Familiarity with basic computer software, and proficient user of HYSYS, PRO II simulation programs is essential.
Our high-performing employees are drawn by the challenging and rewarding professional, technical and industrial opportunities we offer, and are remunerated accordingly.
At Aramco, our people work on truly world-scale projects, supported by investment in capital and technology that is second to none. And because, as a global energy company, we are faced with addressing some of the world's biggest technical, logistical and environmental challenges, we invest heavily in talent development.
We have a proud history of educating and training our workforce over many decades. Employees at all levels are encouraged to improve their sector-specific knowledge and competencies through our workforce development programs - one of the largest in the world.
About the Company
Saudi Aramco is an integrated global energy enterprise. The company markets and exports crude oil, petroleum products, natural gas liquids and sulfur. It also ships crude oil worldwide through an affiliated company and participates in petroleum refining and marketing activities at home and abroad. Its overseas affiliates are in the United States, Egypt, the Philippines, the Republic of Korea and Japan.
Saudi Aramco's subsidiaries span the globe, with offices in Houston, Washington, New York, London, Leiden, Dubai, Singapore, Beijing, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Seoul.