Process Safety Engineer
Job description / Role
Aramco energizes the world economy.
Aramco occupies a unique position in the global energy industry. We are the world's largest producer of hydrocarbons (oil and gas), with the lowest upstream carbon intensity of any major producer.
With our significant investment in technology and infrastructure, we strive to maximize the value of the energy we produce for the world along with a commitment to enhance Aramco's value to society.
Headquartered in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and with offices around the world, we combine market discipline with a generations' spanning view of the future, born of our nine decades experience as responsible stewards of the Kingdom's vast hydrocarbon resources. This responsibility has driven us to deliver significant societal and economic benefits to not just the Kingdom, but also to a vast number of communities, economies, and countries that rely on the vital and reliable energy that we supply.
We are one of the most profitable companies in the world, as well as amongst the top five global companies by market capitalization.
We are seeking a Process Safety Engineer to join the Operational Compliance Group of the Northern Area Oil Operations' (NAOO) Business Support Division. Job title: Engineer II, GC-13; Source: Global
The Operational Compliance Group is responsible for providing expertise advise and support on Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Management System support to NAOO management and Operations and Engineering Departments.
The candidate will be responsible for developing, recommending, and implementing programs and procedures that will ensure recognition, measurement, evaluation, and control of potential major health and safety hazards associated with high pressure and high temperature hydrocarbon operations. The candidate shall provide NAOO operating facilities and supporting organizations with support on the latest industry health, safety and environmental best practices, codes, standards and government regulations to ensure protection of workers, environment and company assets.
The candidate is expected to collaborate with Area and Corporate Loss Prevention, Fire Protection Departments Representatives, and Subject Matters Experts on technical matters related to safety, fire and loss prevention. Furthermore, the candidate may lead or participate in major loss and fire prevention studies covering (but not limited to) safety management, process safety reviews, fire prevention, quantitative risk analysis and behavioral safety to ensure minimization of losses and major accident prevention.
In fulfilling the requirements of this position, the role holder would be required to occasionally visit NAOO offshore or onshore oil and gas processing facilities (including well-heads and flow lines) and associated facilities.
You will be required to perform the following:
- Act as Subject Matters Expert (SME) on matters related to safety, loss prevention, environment, occupational health, compliance and operational excellence
- Provide safety engineering expertise in the resolution of plant operations safety problems. Formulate and implement long-term strategies to improve safety operations and reduce costs
- Participate in developing and promoting on or off-job safety educational programs, to address safety issues or concerns
- Participate in or lead various safety reviews/studies, such as PHAs, HAZOPs, JSAs, incident investigations, loss prevention inspections and audits
- Participate in standards reviews to ensure inclusion of requirements that are of practical benefit to field operations and maintenance in regard to safety and efficiency of the plants. Provide guidance on standards development through the technical review committee
- Develop processes and procedures to comply with corporate standards and work closely with NAOO departments to implement these processes, measure implementation effectiveness and recommend further improvement solutions where required
- Provide technical assistance and advice covering but not limited to safety management systems, process safety, fire prevention, quantitative risk analysis and behavioral safety to ensure minimization of losses and prevention of fires
- Review plant designs and ensure compliance with prevailing standards and operational safety requirements. Review waiver requests for non-compliant designs and construction and provide technical advice for satisfactory resolution
As a successfully candidate you will have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Sciences or related discipline from a recognized and accredited program/institution. A higher qualification (MS) is desirable
- Professional membership and certification from reputable organization such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Chartered Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (CIOSH), Member, International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (MIIRSM), Certified Functional Safety Expert (CFSE) or Certified Functional Safety Professional (CFSP), etc. is desired. An experienced facilitator of qualitative and quantitative risk assessments (e.g., What-If, HAZOP, FMEA, SIL, BowTie, etc.) is recommended
- CMinimum of 12 years of relevant and practical experience in health, safety and environmental management, within the oil and gas industry. The experience should cover areas such as operations maintenance, plant engineering, safety program development, and process safety management
- Knowledge of international codes and standards, engineering practices and principles, as well as industry fire codes and safety standards
- Demonstrated leadership skills, excellent ability to communicate in technical English with peers as well as members of management
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and determined to overcome significant challenges
Our high-performing employees are drawn by the challenging and rewarding professional, technical and industrial opportunities we offer, and are remunerated accordingly.
At Aramco, our people work on truly world-scale projects, supported by investment in capital and technology that is second to none. And because, as a global energy company, we are faced with addressing some of the world's biggest technical, logistical and environmental challenges, we invest heavily in talent development.
We have a proud history of educating and training our workforce over many decades. Employees at all levels are encouraged to improve their sector-specific knowledge and competencies through our workforce development programs - one of the largest in the world.
About the Company
Saudi Aramco is an integrated global energy enterprise. The company markets and exports crude oil, petroleum products, natural gas liquids and sulfur. It also ships crude oil worldwide through an affiliated company and participates in petroleum refining and marketing activities at home and abroad. Its overseas affiliates are in the United States, Egypt, the Philippines, the Republic of Korea and Japan.
Saudi Aramco's subsidiaries span the globe, with offices in Houston, Washington, New York, London, Leiden, Dubai, Singapore, Beijing, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Seoul.