Job description / Role
• Air Products is looking for a Project Engineering Manager to work in the Engineering Organization located in their office in Dhahran Techno Valley, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
• The successful candidate will be required to have a good approach to health, safety and environment and can lead multi discipline teams as well as different cultures around the world. We are looking for a candidate with good communication skills in both verbal and written English and all-round flexibility to commit time and effort to achieve project requirements.
• The ability to travel when required, both to job sites and other engineering offices in the UK, US, India and China on a planned basis.
• The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
• Leading the Engineering activities on capital projects (Sale of Gas/Sale of Equipment).
• Planning and directing all engineers and designers working on the project to ensure completion of the project as efficiently as possible.
• Evaluating and approving changes that substantially impact the scope, budget, or schedule of a project.
• Monitors progress and performance against the project schedule.
• Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility.
• Provides strategic direction when developing project budgets.
• Capable of resolving and escalated issues arising from operations and resource constraints.
• Managing subordinate Project Engineers on large or complex projects.
• Engineering Management
• Cryogenic Air separation and liquefaction
• Cryogenic hydrocarbon and natural gas separation and
• Helium recovery, purification/liquefaction
• Adsorption separation/purification systems
• Steam-methane reforming
• High-temperature catalysis
• Absorption systems
• Partial oxidation/gasification
• CO2 purification/liquefaction
Typical Project Value:
• $20-500 million
Number of Direct Reports:
• 8 - 10 Functional Lead Engineers
• Development of the Project Engineering and Design Execution Strategy;
• Development of project specific instructions and procedures (if required);
• Consolidate engineering discipline budgets and manage them during the project;
• Directing internal engineering and design resources to produce engineering deliverables on schedule and within budget;
• Takes the necessary technical decisions to resolve conflicts between disciplines;
• Ensures effective technical coordination with Clients or third-party representatives:
• Co-ordinates the review of Client’s specifications and procedures, preparation of deviation lists, and manages Client review of AP deliverables & vendor drawings;
• Manages third parties for outsourced engineering & design;
• Ensures all changes are managed in accordance with the project procedures;
• Ensures that lessons learned for engineering are clearly identified, recorded and communicated;
Minimum Requirements And Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering;
• Min. 10 years relevant professional experience;
• Strong track record in the management of detailed engineering activities of process plants;
• Experience on Engineering Procurement and Construction (EPC), Industrial Gases or Petrochemical projects;
• Strong organizational, communication and facilitation skills;
• Ability to bring teams together to achieve project targets and goals;
• Good commercial awareness with ability to manage change.
• Experience in process plant construction would be advantageous but should have spent considerable time at construction sites.
Project Engineering Management
• Supports the introduction to the engineering team of RFQ/contract/project requirements;
• Provides input to the engineering part of project execution strategies, including the proposal as well as execution phases.
• Supports the setup of the project engineering and design organization, staffing and roles within engineering disciplines on local projects
• Supports the distributed engineering and design activities across all project execution location.
• Provide input and supports the Execution Strategy/Scope of Work for outsourced engineering to Local Engineering Contractors and manages the interfaces;
• Supports development of manpower histograms for projects;
• Participates and supports project planning by providing engineering milestones and requirements.
• Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of complex designs.
• Participates in risk management for the engineering concerns;
• Acting as the focal point for discipline leads in the local office and liaise with Project Engineering Managers across different locations.
• Ensures the engineering team properly interface with other project members;
• Attends the design and safety reviews and manages the follow up of the outcomes related to his scope.
• Manages the local project engineering team to issue the engineering deliverables on schedule related to his scope.
• Manages the interface with Customers for review of Air Products vendor drawings and engineering and design documentation;
• Capable of resolving issues arising from Operations and requiring coordination with other departments;
• Initiates and contribute to Value Engineering and best practice;
• Contributes to Project reporting for the engineering part;
• Support the Construction Manager and the Site team on solving all engineering issues;
• Maintains the project equipment list and other key engineering documents as applicable to the project;
• Evaluates and approves changes up to their authorized limit that substantially impact the scope, budget, or schedule of a project.
• Participates in contract management by initiating, collecting and consolidating the variation requests and change orders;
• Alerts project management in case of variations (scope/cost/schedule/quality) and suggests if needed mitigation measures;
• Ensures that the engineering final documentation is properly prepared and filed
• Escalates resourcing issues to the Regional/Global Head of Engineering.
• Organization and Functional Reports to Engineering Manager of the Dhahran Office.
• On assigned Project report to Project Director
• All Functional Lead Engineers report directly to them at a project level.
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.
Senior Project Manager
Rider Levett Bucknall
Ignite Search & Selection
|Abu Dhabi||15 May|