Job description / Role
This position is responsible for leading procurement of materials, equipment, and services for capital projects executed by Global Engineering, Manufacturing, Technology and Equipment (GEMTE). The Project Procurement Manager is charged with the efficient and effective material control of the project equipment and materials from planning through sourcing, expediting, inspection, transport, and receipt. Measures of success are buying below budget and delivering on schedule to the required quality. The Project Procurement Manager is expected to develop competitive sourcing strategies, actively engage suppliers, professionally negotiate purchase orders, and resolve performance issues.
This position manages supplier relationships to ensure alignment with project strategy and goals. This position challenges technical specifications, commercial practices, operating practices and business processes with a focus on driving cost-effective solutions. Strong planning, project management, cost control, sourcing, communication, and negotiating skills are required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Project Procurement Manager is expected to
• Act as single point of contact between the Procurement team and the Project Execution team
• Direct the Procurement team and work closely with the Project Manager to successfully plan and execute the Capital Procurement scope within GEMTE Capital projects.
• Develop Project Procurement Strategy aligned with overall Project Execution Strategy
• Compile and maintain Project Material Registry to plan and track equipment and material status
• Prepare and issue enquiries, requisitions, and purchase orders according to project schedule
• Negotiate with Suppliers to obtain globally competitive price, delivery, and contract terms
• Author Bid Tab evaluations and Sole Source justifications
• Run and analyze material status reports, and communicate risks and problem areas to Project Manager on regular basis.
• Liase frequently with Expeditors, Inspection Leads, and Transportation Specialists
• Lead timely resolution of escalated supplier issues
• Maintain Commercial interface with Suppliers. Manage warranty claims, back charges, and liquidated damages
• Manage budget for Capital Procurement scope of the project, including the equipment/materials costs as well as the Procurement hours expended
• Work with cross-functional team to manage supplier qualification status and performance
• Monitor global market conditions and business drivers to maximize leverage and minimize risk.
• Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Building Customer Loyalty
• Effectively meeting customer needs; building productive customer relationships; taking responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
• Clearly and succinctly conveying information and ideas to individuals and groups in a variety of situations; communicating in a focused and compelling way that drives others’ thoughts and actions.
• Engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
• Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
• Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
Contributing to Team Success
• Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
• Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
Managing Work (Includes Time Management)
• Effectively managing one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
• Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification.
• They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Air Products Values
• All Air Products divisions are committed to the effective use of the AP Values. It is important that all employees understand and utilize these values when performing the duties of his/her position.
• Quality encompasses all aspects of AP’s business, and every employee shares the responsibility to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformity relating to product, process and the quality system.
• All employees have an obligation to identify and record any such nonconformity, and through designed channels, initiate and recommend solutions.
• Strong project management and planning skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively and work with internal and external customers.
• Strong influencing, communication and facilitative skills.
• Ability to bring teams together to resolve issues and achieve targets and goals.
• Strong commercial awareness and negotiating skills.
• Knowledge of strategic sourcing strategies and procurement work processes.
• Sense of ownership and urgency.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher, in Engineering or Business Management.
• 15 years experience in Technical, Engineering, Commercial or Project environment.
• Experience in issuance and managing execution of requisitions/purchase orders for material, equipment, and services.
• EPC experience.
• Accreditation from Supply Chain industry organization (i.e. MCIPS, CPSM).
• Knowledge of commercial purchasing procedures and practice, including aspects of negotiation and contract law.
• Familiar with SAP and Smart Plant Materials.
• Industrial Gas industry experience.
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.