Job description / Role
NEOM Project Summary: Saudi Arabian Bechtel Company is providing Executive Programme Management (EPM) consultancy services (including technical, commercial, and construction management) for the development of certain defined aspects of the NEOM Infrastructure in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
NEOM is a planned cross-border city in the Tabuk Province of northwestern Saudi Arabia. The site is near the Red Sea and the borders of Egypt, Isreal and Jordan. It will cover a total area of 26,500 km2 (10,200 sq. mi) and will extend 460 km along the coast of the Red Sea.
NEOM will be the home and workplace to more than a million residents from around the world. It will include towns and cities, ports and enterprise zones, research centers, sports and entertainment venues, and tourist destinations. As a hub for innovation, entrepreneurs, business leaders, and companies will come to research, incubate, and commercialize new technologies and enterprises in groundbreaking ways.
Detailed Job Description Summary:
This position reports to and helps the EPM Design & Implementation Gate Manager with the management of the Project’s assurance gates. The gates process allows NEOM assure that each design package has reached a specific level of maturity in terms of pre-set criteria at the Conceptual, Preliminary, Detailed and Issued for Construction levels. These are titled 3A, 3B, 3C and 3D respectively. EPM are overseeing the design process on behalf of the NEOM client and timely Gate certification is a key aspect in overall delivery of a ambitious programme. The position holder will help the planning and execution of the gate assurance process working closely with EPM Design Project Managers and contracted consultants and future design and build (D&B) contractors alike.
- Preparation of procedures plans and schedules in regard to the gate certification process.
- Input to the Project pre-gate reviews and certification process to ensure timely submissions and gate endorsements are met in accordance with project timescales.
- Help the management of non-compliances with technical Codes and procedural documentation.
- Review of the quality and completeness of Project’s design assurance gates (e.g., task information deliverables plan, configuration status report, verification and validation matrix, design and implementation close out phase and conformance certificates) facilitating completion of project lifecycle stage gate.
- Help the management of regular progress reviews, tracking and reporting of assured deliverables and associated certification to meet program.
- Monitor, track, and report on engineering, construction, and test & commissioning assurance deliverables required for input to Gate deliverables.
- Help the set up and maintenance of assurance surveillance management tools such that project life cycle periodic reports / metrics can be presented on the status of the Gate assurance process throughout the project. Such reports are required for internal and external stakeholders.
- Help the risks to the certification process and execution.
- Provide input to the management of the progress of each work package, keeping track of special conditions raised for the attainment of certification. Maintain a centralized database for design and operation Certificates.
- Work with the Project’s Backbone Engineering Consultant (BEC) and other Design & Build (D&B) Contractors and in collaboration with Quality, Document Control, and other key functions to define the requirements and Client / Stakeholder expectations for the submissions seeking endorsement.
- Carry out procedural compliance audits during the design, construction, sub-system and system testing phases of the Project and identify areas of improvement.
- Arrange the submission of rail assurance documentation for each Gate, these encompass system safety, RAM, security, requirement and configuration) to the Client, Independent Safety Assessor (ISA) and the Independent Checking Engineer (ICE).
Qualifications/Experience Essential Technical Skills:
- Grade 26: Degree or postgraduate qualification in science/engineering from an accredited university or equivalent with minimum 12 years proven experience on railway projects including 3 years of experience within a Safety Assurance & Certification role or similar position
- Grade 27: Degree or postgraduate qualification in science/engineering from an accredited university or equivalent with minimum 15 years proven experience on railway projects including 5 years of experience within a Safety Assurance & Certification role or similar position
- A professional license from a recognized licensing or registration board is desirable
- Proven track record in leading the development, execution of approval / certification process preferably in a system safety context such as a major rail / infrastructure project or within an oil & gas, aviation, or nuclear environment.
- Willingness to work in a collaborative environment involving the client and flexible enough to carry out new / revised planning tasks required to complete the work, review, or expedite acceptance of a range of documentation.
Essential Behavioral Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical and communication skills (oral and written).
- Willingness to relocate to the job site in Saudi Arabia.
- Proactive, supportive, questioning, ambitious and result driven.
- Hard working and motivated with high self-initiative.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments, changing priorities and work with ambiguity.
- Help others and receive help from others in achieving goals.
- Willingness to mentor others.
- Acknowledge and value contribution from other team members.
- Promote the creation of a work environment, helped by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
About the Company
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.