Job description / Role
Empowered energetic Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Manager accountable for making Air Products Middle East Region the safest industrial gases company to work for. This position provides overall regional safety leadership to facilitate the implementation of the company's EHS Management System and ensure compliance with corporate, local, provincial and national policies & governmental regulations.
The incumbent will be responsible for promoting a culture of safe working habits, improving safety performance, establishing safety directives and implementing safety improvement strategies for the region in alignment with Air Products values along with corporate goals and objectives. In addition, the incumbent will assist with planning, establishing, implementing and maintaining a wide variety of activities encompassing all aspects of occupational health, safety, driver safety, training, process safety as well as environmental programs to assure the highest possible degree of safety for our employees & facilities.
The role would be interfacing and engaging with key internal and external stakeholders and customers - engineering, corporate, operations, regional leadership team members and functional leadership teams.
Success in this position is dependent on strong interpersonal and influencing skills, sound judgement, operational and technical credibility, proactive leadership, implementing change, with a good understanding of the operations and EHS local/regional standards.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES
- Facilitate the implementation of new or revised Global or local company EHS Standards and training materials; to participate when requested in the revision of Global materials.
- Meet AP goal of Zero injuries and accidents to employees and contractors by establishing the AP EH&S culture and AP EH&S management systems and driving compliance.
- Provide timely, accurate and relevant EHS specialist advice and leadership including: Training, Site Assessments, Accident and Incident Investigation, review of and assistance in applying Safe Systems of Work.
- Lead and coordinate direct field support on a broad array of activities specific to Health and Safety and ensure employee / business compliance and consistent adherence to corporate policies and standards as well as all applicable local regulations.
- Develop bespoke risk assessments necessitated by high risk activity or by deviation from established base policy, working with Global and Regional Teams.
- Review current EHS processes and implement safety initiatives to address observed trends in incident or other safety data and manage their implementation.
- Provide direct support during planned or unplanned regulatory inspections (e.g., Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and Global or external EHS audits ( including critical system audits ).
- Goal of zero unauthorized releases to the environment and zero environmental KPIs.
- Ensure full compliance with applicable country environmental and worker safety regulations by establishing the necessary procedures, training, verification, measurement systems, and reports as required to prove compliance.
- Represent Air Products on relevant local and regional external bodies and regulatory groups and maintain up to date knowledge of Environmental, Health and Safety practices and issues.
- Assess and develop a regional and local Risk Management Plan as per operations size and business setup.
- Lead Incident Investigation and facilitation for all sites and locations in the region & Collect, verify, and report sustainability metrics .
- Where applicable in the region, establish site medical programs in coordination with the HR organization having a goal of around-the-clock coverage for site medical cases treatment.
- Conduct regular project safety inspections of operating plants, equipment and sites ( including JV’s ).
- Establish process and methods for maintenance safety plans and participate in all facility maintenance outages and/or repair projects to ensure safety planning and safety execution are in line with our goal of zero injuries.
- Support, as needed, EHS due diligence activities in support of a successful acquistions and the development and implementation of robust EHS integration plans.
- Coach and support leadership team, site leaders and operations on EHS issues, concerns, and questions.
- Be the process owner for regional Crisis Management at the senior management level.
- Demonstrates practical industrial field experience with strong leadership and communications skills.
- Must have a hands-on and proactive approach with clear accountability in steering the regional EHS processes and strategy.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills are a pre-requisite.
- Strong communication and relation building skills; ability to successfully interact with stakeholders at all levels within a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrates experience of working in an international or multi-national organisation and appreciation of international cultures. Preferred to have exposure to matrix reporting.
- Needs to have a business and customer service focus and passion for quality.
- Good organizational and project management skills.
- Possess critical thinking skills and has the ability to build trust and confidence with frontline workers, supervisors and management .
- Confident and assertive with self-motivated approach and flexible attitude. Has the ability to overcome obstacles to solve problems & achieve results. Can cope with pressure and work to tight deadlines.
- A personal commitment to corporate values & objectives and towards a culture of continuous improvement.
- A personal commitment to continuous self-development and flexibility to work outside normal working hours to meet commitments.
- Possess good interpersonal skills and enthusiasm about his/her mission. To respect and work positively with others and create a workplace that is inclusive which generates credibility & confidence in others.
- Good communication skills, written and verbal, preferably in Arabic and English. Multi-lingual capability is an advantage.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Engineering or other technical undergraduate degree (Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical). An advanced degree is preferred;
- A qualification in EH&S or equivalent experience (CSP, ASP, SMS, etc.). Prior operational & plant management experience is a plus;
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in gas, petrochemical, or related industries;
- Minimum 7 years’ of progressive field safety & EH&S Management experience in a complex petrochemical, refinery, or related facility;
- Strong Knowledge of EH&S Legislation/regulation and compliance strategies employed by multi-national companies with strong emphasis on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s requirements and expectations;
- Knowledgeable of the elements of process safety management (e.g. management of change, hazard reviews, operational readiness inspections, operating procedures, etc.);
- Direct experience in at least one or more, and knowledge of other operating units: Air Seperation, Genrated & Packaged Gases, Hydrogen & Syngas, Gasification, hydrogen recovery/purification, sulfur recovery (claus technology), incineration, combined cycle power generation, wastewater treatment, salt water desalination and demineralization, CO2 & Helium.
- Good understanding of EH&S monitoring programs such as leak detection and repair (LDAR), source emission testing, CEMS, COMS, PEMS, industrial hygiene monitoring, noise monitoring, ambient air quality monitoring. including the technologies employed as well as the analytical methods used to produce credible high-quality results;
- Strong leadership, interpersonal skills, and customer relation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in matrix organization, across functional and reporting relationships;
- Excellent communication and influencing skills are a major requirement for the job holder;
- Able to handle high level communication with customer and internal/external stakeholders on EH&S matters;
- Fluent in both Arabic & English.
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.
HSE Manager - Port Operations
Swisslinx Middle East
HSE Manager - Port / Marine
Big Fish Recruitment
Health & Safety Manager
Health and Safety Manager - High Rise