Job description / Role
The role will lead business development activities for individual ASUs, SMRs, Gasification and Carbon Capture investments in the Middle East. They will work with the regional team and AP local subsidiaries to assess the local markets and identify prospects. Once opportunities are identified, the business development manager will lead all aspects of the opportunity including screening for economic viability, developing proposals, negotiating contracts, and then maintaining overall commercial responsibility for the investment during project execution. The opportunities will range from around $100MM to over $ 500MM with complex technical, contract, regulatory and financing structures.
NATURE AND SCOPE
This role will be the central focal point for all activity related to a new investment and asset buy-back opportunity. The primary interfaces for this role include the customer, local AP subsidiaries, internal and external engineering teams, internal and external legal counsels, government and local authorities, and operations teams. They will need to balance the objectives of various stakeholder groups to develop a compelling value proposition to our customers and win new business at or above our capital return targets.
Investments: from around $100MM to 500 MM for each opportunity
Indirect Employees: Bid teams 5-15 per project
The business development manager will perform a number of key functions including:
• Screening opportunities to identify the projects that have the highest probability of moving forward through economic analysis of the customer’s proposed process and end market, economic and political factors, etc.
• Developing the high-level scope to create the optimal value proposition including providing targets for availability, efficiency, and pricing requirements
• Develop the optimal commercial structure for each opportunity
• Meeting potential customers and stakeholders to understand and progress opportunities
• Leading the negotiation and execution of agreements that can include feedstock, asset purchase, land lease, product supply agreements, etc..
• Providing the commercial guidance to the project execution team until on-stream of the project.
This position is accountable for the following end results:
1) Win 40%+ of large industrial gas opportunities we pursue in the Middle East
2) Achieve profitability targets by winning projects at or above our target returns and within an appropriate risk profile
3) Develop the opportunity pipeline for projects at all stages of development to meet our growth objectives for the next 3-5 years
• 10-20+ yrs of experience in primarily commercial management within an industrial manufacturing industry
• Strong business and financial acumen including cash-flow analysis and capital structures
• Creative thinker who can develop strategies and solutions to complex issues
• Experience managing cross functional teams
• Experience negotiating complex contracts
• BS Engineering with MBA or MS Engineering
• Ability to commit to support the project development based on the project’s timeline
• Experience with a build, own, operate model of large projects is preferred.
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.