Job description / Role
Senior Designers Site Representative
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you - from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
This role offers the opportunity to join our Engineering Practice in delivering a wide range of schemes from nationally important highways schemes for Welsh Government through to multiple improvement projects for Local Authority clients within Frameworks including WECA, Gloucestershire Highways and SWTRA to name but a few.
You will manage site teams of deputy Designers Site Representatives, Engineers and Inspectors. A key aspect of the role will be to build relationships with Contractors and Clients. You will act in a spirit of mutual trust and co-operation with the Employer, the Contractor and the Project Manager on projects and perform an independent role regarding the quality of the works.
You will be based at our Cardiff office but with some travel to other Atkins locations nationally to ensure you can deliver value for our clients.
- Management of the Designer's site team comprising Engineers, Specialists and Inspectors.
- Act as the main link between the Contractor and the Design Office in matters related to construction and design issues and ensuring the Designer's obligations are fulfilled whilst the works are being constructed.
- Carry out duties expected of a Designers Site Representative including, but not limited to: Witnessing construction operations; inspecting the works; raising and closing out Non-Conformance Reports; and establishing and managing systems for receiving and answering Technical Queries and Material Approval Forms directly or after consultation with the Design Office.
- Maintaining a register of certified design packages including all drawings, specifications, certificates, design statements and other documents forming each package, for producing paper copies of design packages for issuing to the Contractor.
- Supporting the Engineering Practice in developing bid opportunities.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction or equivalent. Alternatively, a significantly long practical experience in construction disciplines relevant to the role.
- IEng or CEng with a relevant professional institution or nearing said status with same is preferable.
- Extensive experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Developers and/or major Contractors.
- Demonstrable experience of managing quality on multi-disciplinary projects and the ability to communicate and engage with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrable experience in the operation of NEC contracts, particularly in design and build, and in the quality control and assurance of the delivery of major infrastructure programmes.
- Valid CSCS card, with SMSTS or SSSTS desirable.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
About the Company
Atkins is one of the leading providers of professional, technology based consultancy and support services to the industry, commerce and governments in all of the worlds major economies. With over 17,000 staff operating in Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and the Americas, Atkins has a broad range of skills and resources and provides Clients with a comprehensive service throughout the entire life cycle of the projects in the built environment.
We aim to be the international first choice supplier of technical and integrated services. Shaped by our customers' needs, our vision is to:
- focus on quality
- seek world class design and excellence
- strive to add value
- be flexible to the evolving needs of a changing society
Atkins first carried out design and supervision commissions in the Gulf area in 1967. From its regional head office in Dubai, U.A.E. Atkins Middle East now employs over 2000 staff located in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Oman (Muscat ), Qatar (Doha) Bahrain (Manama), Kuwait (Kuwait City) and India (Bangalore).