Job description / Role
To develop, conduct, and participate in technical studies involving dynamic process modeling and advanced process control to support the company’s production operations and provide technical support to regional operations, global technology, and global operational excellence teams on deploying dynamic simulation and plant virtualization technologies
The job holder is a member of the Process Intelligence Center (PIC) team which is a highly specialized staff of professionals who provide advanced plant data analytics, process monitoring and diagnostics, dynamic process modeling, and advanced controls support to regional operations, ESPS, and Roto-flow teams. This position is in Saudi Tech Center in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia and reports to PIC team lead in Dhahran. This position also collaborates closely with the global Smart Systems and Operational Excellence teams based in Air Products’ corporate headquarters in Allentown, PA, USA.
The job holder is responsible for developing, conducting and participating in technical studies involving industrial gas process and product development with emphasis on dynamic process modeling for virtual plants, operator training, and advanced control. Primary internal clients are in the company’s operations in Middle East, Egypt, and Turkey. The job holder works independently on key projects, but most often participates in team efforts. A typical project will require the job holder to understand the PFD, P&ID and control logic of an industrial gasses process, aid in establishing the goals of a research study on that process, formulate a custom-made and cost-efficient plan to achieve those goals, decide on an appropriate modeling methodology, and report the results in a clear fashion. Frequently, the goal of such a project is to create a dynamic model of a new plant under construction to aid in understanding of process dynamics for safety analysis, advanced control analysis, and operator training. The job holder will also be required to maintain and update existing dynamic models per the end-user’s needs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide integrated consulting services in dynamic process modeling of industrial gas operations to the internal research, engineering and operations communities.
- Perform applied research on new engineering modeling capabilities for process improvement and coordinate the introduction of pertinent technologies with the Smart Systems team in Allentown. Work with universities and external research organizations as required.
- Develop mathematical models, solve numerical problems, write specific code as needed, and effectively perform applications testing to ensure robust performance.
- Communicate technical results to a wide audience in a manner that the solution strategy and business impact are readily understood.
- Coordinate closely with operational excellence and regional operations teams in deployment of dynamic models.
- Proficiency in use of dynamic simulation softwares like Hysys, Unisim, Aspen Dynamics etc. is required. Industrial experience in developing and deploying dynamic refinery/chemical process models using some of these or similar tools is required.
- Ability to understand process flow and control logic by reading P&IDs is required.
- Experience with dynamic modeling of processes with gas compression is preferred.
- Knowledge of industrial control systems including advanced process control is preferred.
- Programming skills in Python/R/MATLAB platforms is preferred.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills are a must.
- Proficiency in English is required. Arabic proficiency is highly desired.
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.