Job description / Role
Our globally coordinated tax professionals offer connected services across all tax disciplines to help our clients thrive in an era of rapid change. We combine our exceptional knowledge and experience with the people and technology platforms that make us an ideal partner for all their tax-related needs. In Tax, we equip clients to make better business decisions by bringing insights to the forefront. We help companies understand the tax policies and tax laws of governments around the world to plan and comply accordingly.
Our teams leverage transformative technologies to deliver strategy and execution, from tax and regulatory obligations to operations and workforce management, to reduce risk and drive sustainable value. Tax has six sub-service lines which cover a wide range of issues: Business Tax Services, Global Compliance and Reporting, Global Law, Indirect Tax, International Tax and Transaction Services and People Advisory Services.
Joining our Indirect Tax team, you'll be a part of a globally integrated team helping leading organizations to move goods and services around the world more effectively. You'll combine your technical skills and practical experience across industries and geographies to provide tailored advice to clients. This will include identifying risk areas and sustainable planning opportunities for indirect taxes throughout the tax life cycle. You'll advise clients on VAT treatment of new and complex transactions and help resolve classification or other disputes and issues with the authorities. Your proactive, pragmatic and integrated strategies will help our clients achieve their potential in today's global environment.
Your key responsibilities
- You are expected to work effectively as a member of a worldwide network of professional advisors, sharing responsibility, providing support, maintaining communication and updating senior team members on progress.
- You must also collaborate with a team of VAT professionals to combine diverse cross-border transaction experience with local tax knowledge across a broad spectrum of industries.
- Participating and assisting in preparing for meetings with management teams will be part of your role.
You will be assisting in preparing reports and schedules that will be delivered to clients and other parties. You will also develop and maintain productive working relationships with client personnel and build strong internal relationships within the VAT practice, Indirect Tax and across other service lines.
- You must build a deep understanding of the Customs Law and its practical application across the countries.
- You are expected to understand and apply the regional Free Trade Agreements and key customs concepts such as valuation, classification and origin.
- You will be identifying and discussing VAT considerations for clients to be aware of in their outbound investments.
- Engaging with colleagues in overseas offices to deliver VAT advice in respect of global jurisdictions will be part of your responsibilities.
- You will also prepare for the potential introduction of VAT in the different countries and to discuss with clients how this may impact them as well as work with internal teams to provide indirect tax expertise for audit and transaction projects.
Skills and attributes for success
- You must be able to build strong client relationships & excellently communicate in a range of situations in both written and oral English.
- You should also be able to identify areas of risk, carry out an effective review and know when to refer upwards.
- You are expected to be a client focused and commercially aware team player with the ability to build effective relationships at all levels.
- You must also possess project management skills, plan and prioritise work, meet deadlines, monitor own budget.
- You should also be able to solve problems creatively and pragmatically.
To qualify for the role you must have
- A degree in economics, finance, tax or accounting
- A relevant Masters degree, CPA or ACA/CA/CPA/CMA/SOCPA/Law qualification/CTA or equivalent tax qualification
- At least 4 years of relevant experience as Indirect Tax professional
- Experience working for a Big 4 accounting firm is preferred. However, we will consider candidates with from law firms or with relevant industry experience
- Customs duty advisory experience is preferable, but we will also consider candidates with VAT/GST advisory experience
Ideally, you'll also have
- Experience working in multicultural teams
- Good verbal/written communication skills
- Strong organizational, project management and analytical skills.
- Strong drive to excel professionally, and to guide and motivate others
- Coordination and prioritization skills
- Independent in managing own workload, ability to work under pressure and to keep things moving and to juggle multiple tasks
- Excellent team player
What we look for
Highly motivated individuals with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to prioritize shifting workloads in a rapidly changing industry. An effective communicator, you'll be a confident team player that collaborates with people from various teams while looking to develop your career in a dynamic organization.
What we offer
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be rewarded based on performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. Plus, we offer:
- Continuous learning: You'll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We'll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We'll give you the insights, coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You'll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
If you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
The exceptional EY experience. It's yours to build.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
About the Company
EY is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services. The insights and quality services we deliver help build trust and confidence in the capital markets and in economies the world over. We develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders. In so doing, we play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities.
EY refers to the global organization, and may refer to one or more, of the member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide services to clients. Information about how EY collects and uses personal data and a description of the rights individuals have under data protection legislation are available on our site.
The MENA practice of EY has been operating in the region since 1923. For over 95 years, we have grown to over 7,500 people united across 21 offices and 16 countries, sharing the same values and an unwavering commitment to quality. As an organization, we continue to develop outstanding leaders who deliver exceptional services to our clients and who contribute to our communities. We are proud of our accomplishments over the years, reaffirming our position as the largest and most established professional services organization in the region