Job description / Role
Air Products, Saudi Aramco and ACWA Power are in final negotiations to form an over $11 billion Gasification/Power joint venture (JV) located at Jazan Economic City (JEC) in Saudi Arabia.
The JV will purchase, commission and operate the gasification assets, power block and the associated utilities from Saudi Aramco. These assets are currently under construction and will be transferred to the JV upon successful completion, currently scheduled for the end of 2019.
The JV will own and operate the facility under a 25-year contract for a fixed monthly fee. Saudi Aramco will supply feedstock to the JV, and the JV will produce power, hydrogen and other utilities for Saudi Aramco. Air Products will own at least 50 percent of the JV, with Saudi Aramco and ACWA Power owning the balance. The JV builds upon the importance and recognition that critical infrastructure assets in the region are being developed and operated under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model." The Jazan IGCC is the world’s largest IGCC and ASU facility making 2100 MMSCFD syngas, 18,000 MT/Day Oxygen and 4 Gigawatts of power. Facilities and assets include: liquids gasification, acid gas clean up, soot ash recovery, sulphur recovery, combined cycle power plants, materials handling systems, hydrogen recovery, water utilities systems and waste water treatment facilities.
Opportunities are now available for a Senior Machinery Commissioning Engineers to support the Jazan IGCC commissioning and start-up phase. The duration of the assignment is approximately 24 months with an additional option to roll into a long-term operations assignment. This is an on-site position in Jazan, Saudi Arabia working 8 weeks on with 2 weeks off.
The incumbents will report to the Machinery Commissioning Engineering Manager and will direct machinery technicians, SMEs and OEM representatives in the commissioning of the IGCC rotating machinery scope for several operating units: Gasification/Acid Gas Removal/Hydrogen Recovery, Soot Ash Recovery, Sulfur Recovery, and Utilities.
These positions are intended to target candidates with field/operations experience in large process plants. The Jazan IGCC team supports the safe and efficient leadership, planning, commissioning and start-up of process gas units, including our newly acquired gasification technologies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Jazan IGCC Senior Machinery Commissioning Engineer will provide knowledge and experience on process rotating machinery to facilitate successful commissioning of the IGCC machinery assets through the commissioning, start-up and start-up stabilization periods. The incumbents will function as part of the IGCC commissioning team, to bring equipment online in a safe, consistent manner in support of the overall IGCC project.
The machinery assets include a wide array of high-value equipment from major oil & gas OEM’s including: process hydrocarbon pumps (centrifugal & reciprocating); large vertical sea-water pumps; centrifugal fans and blowers; and in-line multi-stage centrifugal process compressors in split-case and barrel designs, with advanced protection systems for surge control and mechanical health.
Other duties and responsibilities include:
• Plan and prepare machinery systems for first time start-up as part of the machinery engineering team.
• Contribute to the creation and/or improvement of machinery commissioning procedures where required.
• Lead & execute specific commissioning test activities, such as performance measurement and surge testing.
• Work alongside other discipline engineers (such as controls & process) to complete joint tasks such as verifying machine control systems & protective functions are thoroughly tested, and that the performance of the machine matches that of the process requirement.
• Provide training and guidance to junior or less experienced engineers.
• Lead by example with regards to following procedures and our highest priority of maintaining personnel safety.
• Adaptability to migrate between equipment from many different suppliers.
• Working knowledge of API standards relevant for the equipment being commissioned, such as API pump seal-plans.
• Have a thorough understanding of basic pre-commissioning requirements, such as lube-flushing, alignment, nozzle loads, instrument checks and be able to communicate your requirements to field technicians.
• Have experience in:
- Rotordynamics and vibration-diagnostics
- Rotor high-speed balancing
- Torsional vibration
- Machine performance analysis & turn-down limitations
- Machinery process control logic
- Leading & coordinating compressor surge-testing activities
- Trouble-shooting machine problems on the run, with available instrumentation.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• BS in Mechanical Engineering or 15+ years of relevant field experence and thorough understanding of mechanical theory relating to machinery.
• Have a minimum 5-10 years of experience in commissioning and start-up of machinery in large process plants.
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.