Job description / Role
As part of our regional growth plans, we are currently looking for QSE Manager to work closely with the team in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Senior Manager Health, Safety, Environment & Quality (HSEQ) with a minimum of 12 years’ managerial experience will be required to verify, approve and monitor safety/environment standards across the Riyadh Metro network and operations. The scope of Health & Safety includes procedures and conditions of Operations and Maintenance of any staff, visitors, contractors inside any part of the Riyadh Metro premises and vehicles. He will be responsible for overseeing each O&M Contractor’s safety management system, safety case development and submissions to the SRC. Through his inspection and audit team he will ensure a safe environment for passengers and staff including the investigation of incidents and accidents. He shall review all safety reports and advise the Employer on matters related to safety. The SM(HSEQ) manager will assist the Employer in the approval of the O&M Contractors Health and safety management system, railway safety procedures, fire safety procedures, occupational health and safety procedures and ensure the O&M Contractors compliance during the contract period. The SM(HSEQ) will also assist the Employer in the approval of the O&M Contractors environment management plan, and ensure the contractors compliance during the contract period.
• Reporting to and supporting the Project Manager, in effective management of QSE on the project
• Act as a catalyst for management system compliance and continual improvement over all project phases by influencing actions for quality.
• Support Project Manager in developing the management plans, objectives and targets for quality, that are aligned with client and contract specific needs, and that meet the requirements of the Business Management System
• Ensure the effective execution of management plans to achieve quality through active participation in readiness checks and quality gate reviews
• Support Project Manager in ensuring quality control through the supply chain with focus on the supplier capability, qualification, assessment, and the selection processes, and the interface relationships for quality, including partnerships and collaborative working arrangements
• Investigate and ensuring action to eliminate the cause of potential non-conformities to prevent their occurrence and in all cases of non-conformity, the actions to eliminate the root cause and prevent a recurrence
• Plan and coordinating continuous improvement actions for all phases of the project to share good practice, feedback experiences and drive best practice, typically through continuous improvement workshops, lessons learnt reviews, etc
• Plan and conducting project specific internal and external supplier audits, etc. and ensuring implementation of required actions, including the follow-up of corrective actions to a conclusion
• Manage professional feedback to and from the customer and acting as the internal voice of the customer on quality matters, including complaints, non-conformities, etc. to ensure satisfactory outcome
• Report noncompliance status, noncompliance incidents and root-cause-analysis and participating in quality status reviews
• Identify qualification requirements and initiating training for project employees to ensure knowledge of quality methods to be applied, process awareness and enhancement of knowledge.
Health & Safety
• Providing H+S advice, guidance and coaching to project teams to embed natural safety
• Assisting in site inspections and audits both internally and externally
• Interface with clients, contractors and other stakeholders, ensuring a proactive and effective approach to project QSE and supporting delivery (e.g KPIs, briefings, induction)
• Promoting policies, processes, legislation, regulations and standards and any changes best practice identified
• Engaging with Atkins behavioural safety programme, Safe by Choice, and other initiatives as required
• Supporting implementation of Management system processes and procedures
• Working effectively and contributing to the project liasing with regional Rail team and Regional
• Collaborating with other staff on one’s own initiative and able to interact and support other members of the QSE team as required.
Safety & reliability
• Developing strategies to ensure our products, systems and applications are safe and reliable
• Identifying hazards and assessing safety risk
• Defining and analysing safety and reliability requirements
• Carrying out safety and reliability analysis of designs
• Participate with the functional and safety validation of Rail Products and Systems
• Putting together safety arguments and safety cases to gain railway authority approval
• Contributing to the improvement of our development processes
• To monitor the system design and implementation and produce Engineering Safety and RAM analysis material and also application safety case material that provides sufficient evidence to all concerned such that the developments and changes to Schemes, Configurations, Systems and Products and meet their System Safety requirements throughout the whole lifetime of that development or change
• To implement a common and auditable approach in the identification of Safety and RAM requirements, their implementation, and the demonstration of compliance with those requirements
• It is important that all personnel implement the following actions:
• Ensure that they understand the risk issues associated with their work and the company’s policy on safety
• Ensure that they keep up to date with risk assessment and risk management issues through continuing professional development
• Communicate relevant information on risk issues (e.g. to managers, project leaders, health, safety and environment engineers and colleagues)
• To liaise with the client and external Independent Safety Assessors as necessary.
Technical assurance and health + safety manager
• Good knowledge of engineering safety (e.g. RAM/Safety/assessment), configuration management, document management, verification and validation, and associated products and processes (essential)
• Experience working in an engineering safety critical work environment (essential)
• Good knowledge of 9001 quality management systems and processes, including quality and milestone planning, quality assurance, quality reporting and audit management (essential)
• Must hold a QMS Lead Auditor Certificate (or equivalent), with at least 12 years experience leading QHSE function or conducting audits (essential);
• Proven interpersonal and influencing skills, within a site or construction or safety critical environment, with a demonstrable track record of influencing at a senior level and facilitating change
• Rail sector experience
• Knowledge and experience of OHSAS18001, ISO14001, ISO9001 standards
• Effective communication skills
• Knowledge of safety rules, standards and legislation
• Ability to identify best practice and improvement opportunity
• NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health or equivalent (with or intending shortly to obtain, CMIOSH)- Desirable
• Must be client focused, with a passion to achieve internal and external client satisfaction (essential)
• Must be an excellent team player and able to work with, coach, mentor and energise others in the team (essential)
• Must have a good analytical approach with drive and orientation to achieve results and required quality in execution (essential)
• Good knowledge of project management processes and tools for controlling project delivery, including contract law, change management, risk management, etc (desirable).
About the Company
Atkins is one of the leading providers of professional, technology based consultancy and support services to the industry, commerce and governments in all of the worlds major economies. With over 17,000 staff operating in Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and the Americas, Atkins has a broad range of skills and resources and provides Clients with a comprehensive service throughout the entire life cycle of the projects in the built environment.
We aim to be the international first choice supplier of technical and integrated services. Shaped by our customers' needs, our vision is to:
- focus on quality
- seek world class design and excellence
- strive to add value
- be flexible to the evolving needs of a changing society
Atkins first carried out design and supervision commissions in the Gulf area in 1967. From its regional head office in Dubai, U.A.E. Atkins Middle East now employs over 2000 staff located in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Oman (Muscat ), Qatar (Doha) Bahrain (Manama), Kuwait (Kuwait City) and India (Bangalore).