Job description / Role
Air Products, Saudi Aramco and ACWA Power are in final negotiations to form an over $11 billion Gasification/Power joint venture (JV) located at Jazan Economic City (JEC) in Saudi Arabia.
The JV will purchase, commission and operate the gasification assets, power block and the associated utilities from Saudi Aramco. These assets are currently under construction and will be transferred to the JV upon successful completion, currently scheduled for the end of 2019.
The JV will own and operate the facility under a 25-year contract for a fixed monthly fee. Saudi Aramco will supply feedstock to the JV, and the JV will produce power, hydrogen and other utilities for Saudi Aramco. Air Products will own at least 50 percent of the JV, with Saudi Aramco and ACWA Power owning the balance. The JV builds upon the importance and recognition that critical infrastructure assets in the region are being developed and operated under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model."
The Jazan IGCC is the world’s largest IGCC and ASU facility making 2100 MMSCFD syngas, 18,000 MT/Day Oxygen and 4 Gigawatts of power. Facilities and assets include: liquids gasification, acid gas clean up, soot ash recovery, sulphur recovery, combined cycle power plants, materials handling systems, hydrogen recovery, water utilities systems and waste water treatment facilities.
An opportunity is now available for an experienced Process Safety Engineer to support the Jazan IGCC commissioning and start-up phase. The duration of the assignment is approximately 24 months with an additional option to roll into a long-term operations assignment. This is an on-site position in Jazan, Saudi Arabia working 8 weeks on with 2 weeks off.
The objective of Process Safety is to manage the risk of hazardous consequences due to the loss of primary containment of material or energy from a process. The hazardous consequences considered include serious injury or fatality, asset destruction, loss of corporate reputation, environmental harm or adverse impact on society. Managing Process Safety requires the identification of potential hazards due to loss of primary containment and the implementation of mitigations that reduce either the frequency or severity of the consequence.
The applicant will report to the Process Safety Engineering Manager and will be part of a team of Process Safety Engineers focused on supporting the commissioning and startup activities plus the development and execution of disentanglement projects across the major operating units of the facility, including Gasification/Acid Gas Removal/Hydrogen Recovery, Soot Ash Recovery, Sulfur Recovery, Air Separation and Utilities. Disentanglement projects are those required to segregate the JIGPC assets as a separate operating entity from the Aramco refining assets
This position is intended to target candidates that are highly skilled and experienced process safety practitioners to support these activities, as well as to provide mentoring to less senior Process Safety personnel who may become longer term employees of the JV. The Jazan IGCC team supports the safe and efficient leadership, planning, commissioning and start-up of process gas units, including our newly acquired gasification technologies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This opportunity is for a key member of a process safety team functioning as a part of an overall engineering, commissioning and startup team. Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
Process Hazard Analysis – Lead hazard reviews of process units using HAZOP methodology and risk ranking criteria. Generate recommendation action lists and manage their reconciliation. Update PHA file to represent current status of plant design and operation. PHA types include:
• Project Development Preliminary Hazard Review
• Project Execution Design Hazard Review
• Operating Plant Hazard Review Validation or Revalidation
• Management of Change Hazard Review
Layer of Protection Analysis and Risk Gap Closure – Develop or review layer of protection analyses for process deviation hazards identified during process hazard analysis. Identify risk gaps and lead multi-functional teams in developing solutions.
Support Commissioning and Startup Activities:
• Participate in pre-startup safety review (PSSR) and punch list closure work process
• Perform risk assessment for siting of portable buildings
• Lead PHAs for deviations from design and for proposed changes
• Review fixed locations for ambient gas detection and determine requirements for personal gas detection monitors for field personnel
• Develop, measure and report process safety performance metrics specific to commissioning and startup
Support project teams developing and executing disentanglement projects:
• Define scope of safety work and develop workhour estimates
• Participate in operability reviews
• Lead and document design or change management PHAs, issue recommendation lists, review and approve recommendation reconciliations, and facilitate DHRV activities
• Perform QRAs and/or consequence modeling as appropriate
• Participate in the planning and execution of the PSSR activities
• Establish a work process to identify and report process safety events consistent with API RP 754. Facilitate investigation using root cause analysis methodology and identify effective correct actions.
• Perform duties and responsibilities while leading in a master-apprentice relationship to mentor and develop less experienced process safety engineers.
• Reconcile process safety standards and procedures from JV partners
• Promote the development of an organizational culture where safety is highly valued. Provide process safety education and awareness training.
• Lead by example with regards to following procedures and our highest priority of maintaining personnel safety.
• Possess a strong working knowledge of industry standards and specifications.
• Critical thinking skills and problem solving capability.
• Effective communicator who will seek out cross-functional technical expertise as required.
• Proven experience in conducting Hazard, Operability and Safe to Operate reviews (using HAZOP methodology), including verification and documenting close out of PSSR closeout items
• Proven experience performing dispersion calculations for vents and loss of containment
• Proven experience performing building siting and enclosed space audits
• Previous experience of any of the operating units in the IGCC facility (Gasification, Acid Gas Removal, Hydrogen production, Combined Cycle Power Generation, Utilities or Air Separation) would be beneficial.
• Experience with identification and development of practical solutions for mitigation of process safety risks.
• Proven experience performing quantitative risk assessments using fault tree, layers of protection analysis, common mode failure analysis, human error probability, consequence analysis etc.
• Experience leading incident investigations, including developing corrective actions and categorizing process safety events
• Experience generating a safety integrity level (SIL) assessment to define performance requirements for a safety instrumented function (SIF) such as defined in IEC61511, including documenting the intended risk reduction, process safety time and independence requirements, reviewing and approving the SIL verification of each SIF, and reviewing a validation plan and safety life-cycle mechanical integrity program for each SIF.
• Have an in-depth working knowledge of PHA documentation software such as PHA Works or PHA Pro.
• Have a strong knowledge of all phases of a project life cycle, including understanding of process design documents (PFD, P&ID, process and mechanical specifications etc.), change management procedures and development of operating instructions.
• Experience in process safety valve (relief valve) sizing including evaluation of sizing cases and calculation of hazardous over pressure scenarios.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• BS in Engineering (Chemical Engineering preferred)
• 15+ years in an engineering design or operations technical role with a minimum 5 years of experience in Process Safety Engineering, preferably in large and complex industrial facilities
• Demonstrated experience in being a member of a multi-disclipine team
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.