Job description / Role
• Field supervisory mechanical engineering position in building construction management. Application of mechanical engineering expertise on mechanical systems – specifically; multi-story buildings, Heating Ventilation and Cooling (HVAC), plumbing, gas and fire protection systems as well as Building Automation and Temperature Control Systems (BAS).
• Responsible for monitoring and inspection of on-site mechanical installation and testing work activities. Provides technical guidance to contractors, and utilizes his expertise to ensure that the permanent works are constructed in accordance with applicable codes, standards, and approved drawings and specifications.
• Resident Field Construction Engineer – representing the Client/Owner, for 20 story office building to be built from the green site.
• Monitors contractor’s mechanical installation and testing activities.
• Provide leadership to the General Contractor in the construction of the project through technical expertise and diplomatic persuasion.
• Witnesses contractor’s quality control inspections to ensure that the permanent works are constructed per the applicable codes, standards, and approved drawings and specifications.
• Witnesses all testing, pre-commissioning, commissioning, and start-up activities to assure contractor’s compliance with the approved plans and procedures. Reviews tests result generated by the independent test agencies and approve those complying with the specification requirements.
• Reviews contractor’s mechanical shop and as-built drawings, quality assurance procedures, materials submittals, tie-in procedures, project schedules, Operation and Maintenance Manuals and approves and/or coordinates approval of same.
• Clarifies the requirements of the Contract Documents for the Contractor via responding to RFI.
• Review and approve mechanical equipment and materials per contract specifications.
• Review cost proposals and applications for payment submitted by the Contractor for Mechanical work. Verifies that mechanical items submitted for invoice billing or Work Estimates are justified. Determines the percentage of work completed for mechanical trades and design disciplines.
• Perform conceptual and detailed estimates of potential changes to the project’s Mechanical work.
• Verify the accuracy of Prices and Quantities included in the Contract Documents for Mechanical work.
• Collaborate with Client in expediting all critical aspects of site development and building construction.
• Assist Contractor with local utilities – sanitary waste, storm, natural gas, domestic water and irrigation water systems work permits, witnessing and inspections, and documentation such as permitting, coordination, and start-up procedures on all aspects of tie-in work for new equipment, connections, or additions to existing systems.
• Identify and makes a recommendation on mechanical design issues during construction. Identifies and reports on discrepancies in the original design or in contract documents which necessitate contract modifications.
• Coordinates with other Client’s End User Departments, and possibly US-based Engineering and LEED teams.
• Initiates and prepares for PM’s or SRCM’s signature on mechanical related letters, memos, and correspondence.
Experience and Qualifications:
• Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering or Building Construction Management from accredited recognized university
• Minimum of 12 years of on-site construction administration or construction management experience in different types of building or developments.
• Field Construction or working knowledge for supervision of building; mechanical installations, testing and commissioning of HVAC, plumbing and fire protection systems and equipment.
• Experience with Construction drawings, One-lines, Shop drawings, Material submittals, and appropriate mechanical codes and requirements (IBC, ASHRAE and NFPAA and other related building codes and standards).
• Must have or able to obtain a Driver License
• Must be able to communicate in both spoken and written English skills.
• Be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a positive attitude to solve problems and get things done.
• Knowledge of computers and basic software applications: MS Office is required (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Read construction schedules (Primavera and/or MS Project).
• AutoCAD is a benefit, but not a requirement.
• LEED, energy savings, or other Green technology experience is not a requirement but would be a big plus.
About the Company
Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, planning, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security.
Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Senior HVAC Engineer