Job description / Role
A brief summary of the responsibilities of the position. The objectives of the Senior Technical Expert position for the JCPDI Smart City will include providing high level strategic and technical advice to the DGTA, to ensure the successful planning and implementation of a program to ensure that the JCPDI project achieves “Smart City” status.
• A brief synopsis of reporting relationships; i.e., reports to, supports section, group, etc.; interfaces with senior management, clients, etc.
• Reports to the DGTA, interfaces and works closely with other DGs and RC Directors.
Major Activities Performed: List the major job function(s) of the position.
• Work closely with the DGTA to plan and implement strategies, annual business and work plans to meet the JCPDI program’s objectives with a focus on achieving Smart City status.
• Advice the DGTA in establishing and implementing divisional objectives, policies and procedures relating to Smart City.
• Actively establish the divisional business plan, budget planning and performance schedules.
• Provide technical advice and guidance to the DGTA, to ensure best practices and technology is utilized from a Smart City perspective. Identify the resolve technical and other issues.
• Undertake high level reviews of Smart City project interfaces and ensure that coordination with all departments are established and functional.
• Participate in monthly program-wide status reviews, and in the maintenance of effective Smart City KPI's and QA/QAC procedures.
• Oversee and review existing and planned infrastructure to ensure that it can perform to the required Smart city requirements acceptable health and safety, quality and environmental requirements.
• Represent the DGTA in Executive Management Meetings as necessary.
• Coordinate with other Divisions in the implementation of the Master Plan deliverables and initiatives.
• Oversee and review the preparation of key contractual documents and correspondence with the JCPDI Management.
• Oversee private-sector projects and rehabilitation contracts.
• Oversee contractors' performance and ensure that contractor/subcontractor quality and health, safety and environmental concerns are appropriately handled.
• Review the development of detailed progress report for Smart City status for inclusion in the Unified Monthly Report prepared by the Project Management Department.
• Assist the DGTA in identifying gaps in knowledge and skillsets of staff, and implement appropriate training and career path advancement tools.
Experience and Qualifications:
• List the background experience required for the position, number of years’ experience, in what fields.
• Describe the desirable academic background.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning/Development, or a related field from an accredited college or university - specializing in smart cities is preferred.
• Minimum 15 years of experience within the urban planning industry including minimum of five years of smart city experience is preferred, preferably with 10 years working at a manager or director level for PMCs or Client representatives.
• Experienced in the management of multiple simultaneous mega projects and various contracting formats.
• Effective leadership in major Smart City and urban planning projects including technical and contractual problem solving.
• Evidence of superior initiative, judgments, and ability required to assume the total leadership of complete large-scale programs.
• Evidence of recent experience at a level commensurate with this classification.
• Large-scale residential/commercial and infrastructure construction experience including major civil works (site development, buildings, roads and other works).
• Experience with government or municipality projects, coordinating & dealing with public agencies etc.
• Excellent English language skills including reading, writing and speaking is essential.
• Computer literate with experience using MS Office packages (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access and Power Point Presentation).
About the Company
Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, planning, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security.
Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide.