Job description / Role
The Senior Urban Designer is responsible for addressing the design aspects of urban development at all levels: the city structure (overall urban form and image), specific area plans (e.g. the waterfront, city center, etc.), subdivision plans, streetscape plans, and site planning e.g. lot layout, façade details etc.).
• To review existing plans and analyze urban design issues at the level required (city scale to lot scale) and make recommendations for change as necessary.
• To prepare urban designs solutions and reports (text and especially graphics) on all aspects of urban design, including city image, site design, building design, streetscape, signage, landscaping, lighting, and public art.
• To make presentations when required.
• To work with engineering and planning staff on resolving design issues.
• To review developer proposals and make comments as necessary.
• To prepare Specific Area Plans for localized parts of the city.
• To provide advice on elements of urban design at the streetscape and site-specific level.
• To provide input on urban design for Zoning Regulations and similar implementation measures.
• To sit on committees and provide advice and input to senior management on urban design factors.
• To prepare Technical Scope of Work for projects carried out by the Urban Design Unit.
• To perform any task in the related field assigned by Urban Planning Director & Manager or by Royal Commission Upper Management.
• Candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning/Architecture or Landscape Architecture and/or a Post Graduate degree in Urban Design with at least (12) years of relevant experience. This experience should be in urban design preferably with a consulting company, related to residential, recreational, commercial and mixed used developments. International experience, particularly in the Middle East, is desirable.
• Must have excellent graphic skills, and be capable of independent report production and graphic presentations.
• Must be capable of developing conceptual urban design plans and work independently from others.
• Candidate must have good written and verbal presentation skills in English. Knowledge of Arabic language is desirable.
• Must be skilled in PC computer environment. Familiarity with graphic computer software commonly used by Urban Designers i.e. Autocad based software, 3D SudioMax, and Abode Creative Suite etc.
• Must be capable of working independently and in a team environment with both Saudi and Expatriate staff.
About the Company
Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, planning, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security.
Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide.