This position is closed or expired.
See other Academic jobs
Saudi Electric Services Polytechnic (SESP)
Role: Technical Instructor / Trainer – Electricity Supply Services
PINZ has been contracted to provide training and management services for the new Saudi Electric Services Polytechnic (SESP). The polytechnic, based in Baish in Saudi Arabia’s Jizan province, opened in September 2012 with an intake of 430 male students who started a 2.5-year training program. The students selected are mostly high school graduates at beginner English levels. Class sizes average around 22 students each. The curriculum is provided through three trimesters per year.
The training program begins with a year of ESL and foundation studies (maths, physics, health & safety and foundation electrical principles); followed by a year of technical training focused on mechanical or electrical engineering. Students complete their Diploma with six months of on-the-job training in the power utility industry and related sectors.
Technical Instructor / Trainer
PINZ is seeking applications from qualified Technical Instructors with strong electrical supply sector experience that includes current hands on industry experience, along with recent experience in tertiary training of electric supply industry workers. Around 25 technical instructors are required. They will start work on the 5th of August 2013 with classes beginning in early September 2013.
Due to cultural sensitivities, we are looking for male teachers and preferably on an unaccompanied status. The minimum level of commitment is expected to be for one-year initially, renewable by mutual agreement. Preference will be given to candidates willing to commit to a two-year assignment.
The Technical Instructors will deliver the second year 3-trimester technical training programme. Students will build core knowledge in trimester 1 and undertake specialisation study in trimesters 2 and 3. The first rotation of the Year-2 program begins in September 2013. Technical Instructors must have experience teaching in at least one to two of the eight specialisations below:
1. Power Plant Maintenance Technician Electrical
2. Power Plant Maintenance Technician Mechanical
3. Power Plant Technician Instrumentation Measurement and Control
4. Transmission/Distribution Protection Relay Technician
5. Transmission Power Service Technicians (Substations)
6. Distribution Network Operator (Electrical Network Operation)
7. Cable Splicing (Jointing)
8. Power Plant Operation Combined Cycle
The curriculum will be provided across three trimesters per year; where trainers each day have five to six or more contact hours with students, subject to training requirements.
Overall contractor package valued at around SAR330,000 includes: annual salary (SAR270,000), local transport allowance; furnished shared accommodation with utilities and internet or an in-lieu accommodation allowance; one-off relocation allowance; annual leave provision of 21 working days; paid public holidays (up to 11 days, subject to SESP policy); at the discretion of the employer, an additional 20 days leave may be available; private medical insurance; initial one way economy class flight to Saudi; and thereafter an annual flight provision, prorated monthly.
All candidates will need to be approved by PINZ initially and then validated with the SESP (during Feb - April 2013 period) prior to their appointment being confirmed. SESP will assess candidates according to the following criteria:
• Native English speaker
• Citizen of either US, Canada, UK, Australia or New Zealand;
• Minimum of 5 years engineering or 10 years technician experience relevant to one or more of the specialisation areas. A combination of work experience and similar experience in an environment relevant to the specialisation(s) will be considered;
• Proven experience in teaching/training in one or more of the specialisation areas: a combination of experience in specialisation(s) and other engineering disciplines will be considered;
• For specialisations 1 to 6, a tertiary qualification in Electrical Power Engineering or an equivalent relevant qualification; for specialisation 7, a tertiary qualification in Electrical Cableman craft or an equivalent relevant qualification; and for specialisation 8, a tertiary qualification in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering or an equivalent relevant qualification;
• Client has a preference for applicants aged between mid-20s and mid-50s;
• Prepared to relocate to Saudi on an unaccompanied basis; and
• Be able to provide at least 3 work referees that have monitored or supervised you in a role related to the instructor specialisation(s).
If you are interested in this role, please provide an updated CV (that highlights skills and experience relevant to role requirements) and a cover letter.
Please apply online. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis.
Please note that due to the large number of applicants, we will only contact those candidates whose applications we wish to progress. We appreciate you taking the time to apply.
About the Company
PINZ is an international project management and consulting firm with a proven track record of success throughout Asia, the Pacific and the Middle East.
Our services include; system reform, capacity building, institutional development, qualifications frameworks, curriculum development and reform, quality assurance, and higher education and training.
We specialise in delivering projects in the education and wider social sector. We manage programmes in finance and governance, health education and training, government reform, monitoring and evaluation, and programme review and design.