Job description / Role
The Administrative Assistant performs a variety of secretarial and administrative work for the department requiring initiative and independent judgment. The incumbent works independently under general direction, handles problems and non-routine situations and interpret guidelines and University and department procedures. Performs some or all of the duties listed below, as assigned.
* Performs a variety of administrative and/or secretarial support activities such as composing replies to correspondence on own initiative, interpreting and explaining established policy and procedure in response to inquiries from a variety of sources.
* Assigns work to office staff and monitors its production.
* Prepares or directs preparation of minutes, notices, manuals, agendas, decrees and correspondence with all supporting documentation, requiring application of a specialized knowledge of the assigned function.
* Researches, summarizes and analyses information; compiles data to prepare special and recurring reports containing specialized information; selects relevant information from a variety of sources.
* Screens phone calls and visitors, directing to appropriate staff or department when necessary; provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge and may interpret department policy, procedure and operations.
* Types or word processes correspondence, reports or other documents from rough draft, corrects grammar, spelling and punctuation errors; edits wording without changing intended message.
* Corresponds with University and department staff answering queries and providing assistance to enhance customer service and unit workflow. Develops and maintains processes and procedures for handling customer matters.
* Takes minutes at meetings.
* Develops presentations for meetings.
* Schedule meetings.
* May handle petty cash and other financial transactions.
* May assist the design, writing and editing of various documents and publications.
* May administer and provide training on databases or systems which support the unit.
* Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor
* Microsoft Office Suite
* Interpersonal and communication skills
* Knowledge of one foreign language preferably English
* Baccalaureate Degree / Higher Diploma
* 6 - 10 years relevant experience
* Knowledge of basic accounting
* Receiving and directing visitors
* Extensive software skills are required, as well as Internet research abilities and strong communication skills
* Disseminating information
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.