Job description / Role
Key objectives of the position: This role will be fully responsible for performing/supervising all fixtures and manage the post-fixture activities for bulk vessels chartered by the Company. He or she will develop and maintain a system to provide the Company with up-to-date visibility of all vessels chartered. The Chartering Manager will keep in constant contact with brokers, owners and report regularly about actual positions, freight markets, cargo movements, trends and analysis. He or she will introduce best practice methods and or adjust existing processes accordingly.
• Responsible for all aspects of vessel chartering activities.
• Monitor and manage demurrage claims, especially for negotiating with vessel owners.
• Monitor market conditions and rates for the industry through all appropriate means.
• Coordinate with agency and operations on all aspects that will influence customers’ satisfaction.
• Conduct background checks on brokers and/or owners to ensure conformity with company standards.
• Ensure compliance on vessel standards on all chartered / nominated vessels.
• Prepare regular and periodic reports/reviews.
• Assist in organizing operational matters or activities as and when required.
• Maintains channels of effective communication with Sales, Traders, Logistics, Terminal, Finance, etc. and branch offices.
• Establish & enforce the proper working procedure by making proper corrective and preventive actions through the analysis and investigation of problems, feedback and complaints
• Propose and review guidelines, standard operations procedure (SOP) and key performance indicator (KPI) to monitor the team’s performance
• Make sure shipments are planned according to the agreed schedule & time frame.
• Report bulk chemicals moves and market intelligence
• Networking and engaging with key external stakeholders to raise profile of the business
• Developing and contributing to key business strategy and ongoing business plan
• Sales Director
• Producers / Shippers
• Logistics Manager
• Terminal Manager
• Customers / Receivers
• Ship agents
Competencies required to carry out the responsibilities:
• Strong experience in dealing with vessel owners / brokers / agents
• Possesses profound knowledge of chartering chemicals parcel tankers, including Demurrage and Laytime calculations
• Adequate knowledge on Products (Easy chemicals) and the cleaning standards to load in different coatings
• Knowledge of HSSE requirements, Marine claims, Ship operations and Port & Customs procedures
• Interpersonal skills: patience, listening, and communicating; able to work well with others in a fast-paced working environment
• Negotiation skills: Strong negotiator and ability to outperform market levels
• Attention to detail: being able to follow procedures in the way the employer wants keeps the Customer experience consistent and in line with the company’s image.
• Meticulous, pro-active with positive attitude and willing to learn
• Time-management: Work on tight deadlines based on responsiveness required from the Traders and external stakeholders
• People-management: Manage a team including appraisal and development
• Discretion: privy to personal or sensitive information, need to be of high integrity and respect confidentiality.
• IT skills: MS-office; Online portals; Records management; ERP systems
• Values and Ethics
• Team player who has the discipline to work along and meet pre-defined deadlines
• Ability to achieve results in a demanding and challenging environment
• Academic qualification: Graduate in any discipline, Maritime Studies / Commerce / Economics or equivalent is preferred.
• MICS will be an added advantage
• Experience: 5 years of relevant experience in Chemicals Chartering / Broking.
• Drive to excel and progress with a growing organization
About the Company
The year 1995 saw the inception of Petrochem Middle East FZE. We have since transformed the face of the regional petrochemical business and become one of the largest independent chemical distributors in the Middle East.
Petrochem has built one of the most modern, state-of-the-art distribution terminals in Jebel Ali. This facility includes bulk Storage Sea fed tanks, dedicated drum storage facilities, four fully automated drumming lines and a separate dry goods storage area. The terminal adheres to the strictest of health and safety norms and is environment friendly, making sure all operations upkeep the health and safety of its personnel.
We began operating from one office in the Jebel Ali Free Zone, Dubai, but rapid developments and a focused vision have ensured Petrochem’s global expansions. We currently have offices in Dubai, Jebel Ali, Shanghai, Antwerp and London. We also have an office and distribution facilities in Singapore, India and United Arab Emirates.
We are an ISO 9001:2008 company and also have ISO 14001:2004 and OHSAS 18001:2007 accreditations.
Naran General Trading
TGC Middle East
Assistant Manager - Operations
Arab Media Group (AMG)
Logistics Coordinator (Industrial Projects - 3PL)
Search Heads Middle East
Manno Trading DMCC