Job description / Role
Join the team of the first LEGOLAND Park in the Middle East and help us create amazing experiences for families from around the world. At LEGOLAND Dubai we rely everyday on our Model Citizens (employees) in meeting our ultimate goal of bringing the LEGO values of creativity, imagination, learning, quality and fun to life and deliver truly memorable experiences to our guests.
With over 40 interactive rides, live shows and attractions you will be able to find a diverse range of career opportunities in one of the most unique and stimulating work environments you could imagine.
Come and work where work is PLAY. At LEGOLAND we make every child a HERO!
Play Your Part
The Assistant Manager - Retail will lead the Retail department team and concession partners. The role is to achieve set targets in revenue, profit and spend per guest. Health and safety and guest satisfaction KPIs are also a key priority.
- The development and delivery of the Retail strategy in conjunction with the Head of Commercial. To deliver budgeted spend per guest and best in class merchandise and operational standards.
- To ensure full compliance with Trading Standards. Compliance with all Retail pricing legislation laws.
- To drive the team and be focused on exceptional guest experience achieving all KPI targets.
- To achieve the Retail budget revenue and profit target. Applying high- street marketing approaches (within the context of the LEGOLAND brand) to ensure revenue maximization and robust cost management systems to convert to profit.
- To fulfil shifts as required during a 7 day trading week, involving weekend and Public Holiday commitment.
- As a key member of the Departmental Management Team participate in and drive the strategic direction of the business and the five-year plan.
- Annually work with the head of retail in setting budgets for the stores and partners incorporating the Resort strategies and delivered in line with finance dept timetable expectations
- Manage the units against this budget, applying management processes to pro-actively adjust cost performance in light of revenue projections to manage profit.
- Create clear lines of budget responsibility for each supervisor and ensure budget holders are suitably trained to manage these responsibilities.
- Measure and maintain high operational standards on a daily basis, by taking appropriate action to rectify identified poor standards.
- Perform shifts as as required and as a senior Department Manager at weekends ensure that the daily operation of the park is geared to meet the guests and employees needs.
- Review store layouts and visual merchandising techniques to ensure they are at a high standard and that layouts reflect current trading/ weather conditions
- Continue to aid development of brand values.
- Work closely with the Head of Retail and Buying Manager to ensure all Retail products are selected for the coming season are as per group strategy and that they reflect our core market / age profile.
- Manage and oversee the day to day operational challenges within the units through a strong and empowered management competency level, commitment, drive, energy and postive approach.
- Hold regular operational measurement and action review meetings with the team.
- Measure and maintain high operational standards on a daily basis, taking appropriate action to rectify identified poor standards.
- Forge close communication with the Buying Office and Retail central support teams accurately review sales, understand current consumer trends / Profit per Guest.
Decision Making & Autonomy
- Responsibility for the units on site and be accountable for the development of the look and feel so that it is consistent with the brand standards.
- Ensure the units in conjunction with the Head of Retail have a clear and logical strategy, updated annually and aligned behind the brand and strategy
Applied Knowledge & Specialist Skills
- Apply latest high street / industry standards to ensure the products we sell are appealing in the context of the external marketplace.
- Work closely with Marketing team to ensure we are adhering to brand standards on signage and products
- Work as part of cross-Group Retail as required, assisting in new projects as required.
- Develop the team through regular performance reviews, action planning, and encouragement and on the job coaching.
- Ensures employee development initiatives are in place and that these are regularly monitored.
- Ensure all employees in the department have objectives and appraisals completed annually in line with the Merlin way.
- Develop a succession plan for the department working with HR to identify training and development needs. Support the Talent Management and Personal Development Plan programmes.
- Drive customer service training instilling a best practice culture amongst employees ensuring employees are accountable for their actions.
- Ensure training programmes result in sustained improvement in service and operational standards working with the park Training & Development team.
- Improve staff survey scores where possible on employee satisfaction, leadership capabilities, understanding of job and responsibility, teamwork and working environment.
Complexity & Problem Solving
- With the Head of Commercial align the Retail strategic plan and in conjunction with the group teams, create a long term development plan for the commercial function, incorporating sales trends and expectations, customer feedback and relevant financial return expectations.
- Build promotion plan to ensure sales are maximized through the Retail operation.
Health & Safety:
Managers/Supervisors are responsible for all aspects of Health, Safety & Security within their department, in line with the Group Policy (HS001). In particular, they must ensure that risk assessments have been carried out, that safe working procedures are in place for all work activities and that all employees under their management are aware of the Group Health, Safety and Security Policy and their obligations under it. They must ensure that safe working practices are monitored, and that risk assessments and procedures are reviewed regularly. Where incidents do occur, they must ensure that they are investigated appropriately and that where necessary, corrective action is taken to ensure that such incidents are not repeated
Are You a Star?
In order to be qualified for this role you should possess the below criteria:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent experience required.
- 2 - 4 years of successful retail experience in a similar position
- Experience managing a team of direct reports with a proven track record of motivating a team to provide an outstanding experience
The Best Part of The Story
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; housing allowance, comprehensive medical coverage, life and accident insurance and other generous allowances.
We also care about your career development supported by Learning opportunities for those seeking a long-term future in the Company.
About the Company
Dubai Parks and Resorts offers new heights in experiential entertainment through an inspired concept that brings the best of the east and the west in the entertainment industry. Conceived and developed by Meraas Holding, Dubai Parks and Resorts articulates the Dubai leadership’s vision of positioning the emirate as a compelling global tourist destination.
The first phase of Dubai Parks and Resorts will comprise three theme parks: motiongate™ Dubai, Bollywood Parks™ Dubai, and LEGOLAND® Dubai. The development will also feature Riverland - a grand entrance plaza and Lapita, a family themed hotel. The first phase is scheduled for completion in 2016. Ground work commenced on site in February 2014