Assistant Principal-Teaching and Learning (Secondary) - September 2023
Job description / Role
About the Role
This position is a fantastic opportunity to make an impact in the growth and development of Teaching and Learning at GEMS Wellington Academy, Al Khail. You will work as part of the Secondary Leadership Team to ensure the students at the Academy receive a world class education.
The UAE is determined to become an inclusive, barrier-free, rights-based society that promotes, protects, and ensures the success of all groups of students. As a non-selective school with a reputation for producing well-rounded students, through academic rigor and a strong pastoral focus, the role will require you to build and promote opportunities to empower students to aspire, create and excel in the world that is, so they can create their world that will be.
To do this, the Assistant Principal will be accountable for driving the standards and consistency in learning skills and the use of AfL in the classroom, ensuring all learners can reach their full potential at WEK. The Assistant Principal Teaching and Learning will work with the VP for Teaching and Learning, and the VP Assessment and Data to ensure:
- There is high-quality teaching across all subjects and in every classroom,
- Teachers are using data effectively to plan and best support learners in the classroom
- Progress and Attainment outcomes are outstanding for all pupils.
The Assistant Principal will also actively participate in whole-school self-evaluation and school improvement planning and will be responsible for the coaching, mentoring and development of staff.
About the Role:
Teaching and Learning:
- To work with the VP T&L to oversee and monitor the effectiveness of learning and teaching including lesson observation, learning walks and work scrutiny, holding middle and senior leaders to account for the consistent implementation of the teaching and learning policy and Teaching Principles
- To work with the VP Assessment and Data to raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the school by ensuring the highest standards of teaching is in place alongside high quality assessment
- Support with, and at times lead Internal Quality Assurance processes in order to effectively monitor the implementation of teaching and learning strategy in the classroom
- Model consistently high-quality teaching and be able to demonstrate excellent practice to others
- Prepare, deliver and participate in professional development across the school to improve teachers' practice
- To work with the Academic Mentor to use data to identify individuals or groups that need further teaching support.
- Alongside the VP Assessment and Data and the Academic Mentor, develop and implement strategies to raise the quality of teaching and measure impact of these using data.
- To coordinate the mentoring/coaching to individual teachers' in need of 1-to-1 support to improve their practice
- To be an active lead member of the whole school teaching and learning team
- To work with and support the inclusion team to ensure Teaching and Learning for all groups of students is at the highest standard.
- To communicate regularly with the inclusion team and work alongside them to maximise teaching and learning.
- To collate and share best practice approaches in relation to supporting the learning of all groups of learners.
- To liaise with the Director of Innovation in regards to opportunities to innovate within the curriculum and wider curriculum offering
- Ensure that curriculum provision is responsive, appropriate and meets the needs of the student body and of the requirements of external assessment and regulatory bodies.
- Ensure personalised learning remains a core priority in curriculum planning and deliver.
Safeguarding and Health and Safety:
- Work in line with statutory safeguarding guidance (e.g. Keeping Children Safe in Education, Prevent) and our safeguarding and child protection policies
- Work with the DSL to promote the best interests of pupils, including sharing concerns where necessary
- Promote the safeguarding of all pupils in the school
- To fulfil any reasonable additional responsibilities as may be from time to time requested by the VP T&L.
- To consider the holistic view of students through triangulating with information such as attendance, behaviour, NGRT and PASS data.
- To support with transition across core subjects from primary to secondary to ensure Teaching and Learning allows students to be best prepared for secondary.
- NPQSL/LT or MA/MSc or equivalent qualifications
- Excellent classroom practitioner
- Proven track record of delivering outcomes
- Experience of middle leadership (minimum of 3 years)
- Commitment to continued professional learning
- Previous experience of SLT desirable
About Your Benefits
Working with GEMS offers you a unique opportunity to enhance and progress your career in a global setting. Whether this is your first role in international education or the latest in your successful career overseas, GEMS provides you with the unparalleled chance to be part of the world's largest K-12 private school operator.
All positions attract an excellent remuneration package including a competitive tax-free salary, accommodation, school tuition fee concessions, private medical insurance, annual airfares to country of residence, and end of service gratuity.
About the Company
GEMS Education is a pioneering education company with an international network of award winning K-12 schools. Over the past 55 years GEMS has grown from one school to being a truly global company with one incredible mission â€“ to make quality education available to every student. Over 20,000 education professionals unlock the potential of over 250,000 students across 14 countries each and every day, preparing children of all ages for real world success.