Job description / Role
The College of Science at the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) invites applications for a faculty position to conduct research related to Mars atmosphere to support Emirates Mars Mission (EMM) Research Program (http://www.emiratesmarsmission.ae/). The EMM probe will study the influence of climate, cycles, and behavior of the lower atmosphere on the escape of oxygen and hydrogen from the upper atmosphere, what atmospheric processes drive diurnal variations, and how energy is transferred from the lower-middle atmosphere to the upper atmosphere. The proposed research will be performed using data from the state-of-the-art EMM instruments and employ physical models to explain these observations. The selected candidate will lead a Martian Atmosphere Research Program housed in different Colleges and in the National Space Science and Technology Center at UAEU. The multidisciplinary research group will focus on the characterization of Martian lower atmosphere on global scales and its geographic, diurnal and seasonal variability. The team will also investigate conditions affecting atmospheric escape as well as key ingredients of spatial structure and variability in the Martian exosphere. The faculty member will also be involved in the training and skill development of students as well and young faculty members at UAEU.
A successful candidate should:
• Hold Ph.D. degree in physics, atmospheric sciences, planetary remote sensing, Mars atmospheric studies or a closely related field.
• Demonstrate expertise in space data processing, analysis, modelling, interpretation, and the use of remotely sensed data for Mars atmospheric studies.
• Show a track record of scientific publications on related topics.
• Preferably, have three to five years post Ph.D research experience such as postdoctoral or equivalent.
• Excellent communication skills in English, both verbal and written.
• Ability to work independently and take responsibility for the progress of the project.
• Well established skills to lead and work with a team. The position is located at the UAEU’s main campus in Al Ain, about one and half hour drive from Abu Dhabi.
The UAEU is the largest and the top ranked public sector University of United Arab Emirates. The space science team at UAEU consists of experts in various fields of Astrophysics, space sciences, data analysis, remote sensing and geophysics. The application package should include a cover letter, a detailed resume, a brief description of the applicant’s current research activities, future research plan and a few selected refereed publications relevant for this position. The applicant should also arrange at least 3 reference letters, which should be directly submitted to the search committee. The position offers a competitive monthly tax-free salary, free housing, an excellent medical insurance package for the applicant and his/her family, economy class tickets for the applicant and his/her family, and private school tuition for the applicants kids. Screening of applications will continue until the position is filled.
• Applicants must have an earned doctorate in the applicable field.
• The ability to teach undergraduate courses is a must. Industrial and professional experience is a plus.
• PhD. Specialty in Space Science and Mars atmosphere.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.