Job description / Role
Unilever is one of the world`s largest FMCG businesses, with interest across Personal Care, Homecare, Refreshment and Foods product categories. Within Unilever the Personal Care Category represents 30% of its business, and owns some of Unilever´s largest brands, such as Dove and Vaseline
It has ambitious growth plans, which will be fulfilled by product innovations that incorporate superior, differentiating technologies and design. Unilever recognizes Packaging as an important part of the product mix. Packaging is the first touch point for consumers. It must engage the consumer, reflecting the brand proposition, and delivering a delightful experience
Reporting into the Regional Cluster Design Manager, the Packaging Development Assistant Manager is responsible for the landing of global and regional projects in the market. Packaging projects that sustainably drive value for our consumers, our brands, our business and the environment. Working in partnership with, x-functional partners (from engineering, procurement, quality), brand team, design functions and external packaging partners, the Packaging Development Assistant Manager applies his/her packaging engineering expertise to realize best practice engineering and project management.
The new job holder has to relocate to Dubai, UAE from mid Oct 2019
• Enable and Deliver the Packaging Project Program OTIF.
• Management and delivery of assigned Skin Care packaging initiatives. Develop a strategic vision for the project with team members as required, agree the project goal, objectives and milestones with the Project Leader and relevant stakeholders, and translate these into a technical project plan.
• Partner with Supply chain, design resource, brand, product development, consumer research and agencies to co-create and facilitate flawless global packaging initiatives.
• Embed packaging excellence best-practice and processes for sustainable packaging solutions.
• Partner with suppliers to deliver best in class packaging innovations.
• To manage the generation and safeguarding of intellectual property arising from project work, including careful management of IP agreements with suppliers and other agencies as required.
• Plan, execute and validate packaging trials in respective Unilever plants.
• Be responsible for technical specifications for packaging components.
• Manage a specific packaging portfolio / platform including specification harmonization and simplification.
• Understand, embrace and leverage the internal and external fast prototyping and digital ecosystem
• Enable overall sustainability agenda in alignment with engineering and procurement team, support and drive the Skin Care Category towards our medium/long-term sustainability ambition.
• In collaboration with global packaging teams, help facilitate and roll-out the packaging sustainability program.
• Master packaging functional requirements.
Consumer centric packaging engineering
• Shape, inform and participate in consumer research work. In close collaboration with our internal and external consumer insight departments and agencies.
• Connect packaging engineering, consumer insight and design.
• Scouting the market for technology and design innovation.
• To comply with the Unilever Code of Business Principles and all SHE and QA policies, including the support of product claims, risk management and environmental awareness;
• To interface with other internal and external functions in support of project delivery (e.g.: marketing, supply chain, supply management, packaging GDC, other RDC functions);
• To manage and deliver their own agreed workplan
• Business Partners in MSO - Market facing Brand, Customer Development and Supply Chain teams.
• R&D partners in global and deploy teams.
• Packaging community and capability teams.
• Category Stakeholders, Packaging Suppliers
• 3-7 years FMCG environment, with packaging development experience
• Educated in packaging technology and packaging machines or a related technical discipline
• Experience in working with multi-disciplinary teams in the development of high impact innovative solutions.
• Business fluent English, Arabic/Madarin/Russian is a plus
• Solid verbal communi¬cation skills, with ex¬perience presenting to all levels of clients and co-workers.
• Sound packaging engineering experience
• Project management
• Fully operational in MS office
• Excellent facilitation and problem-solving skills.
• Self-motivated and keen to help drive change in an organization.
• Volition and willingness to change
• Ability to convince and influence others.
• Strong internal/external network builder
• Technical degree in Physics, Chemistry, Material science or in an engineering discipline like Mechanical or Industrial engineering.
• Work stream leadership in a cross functional project environment.
• Project leadership in functional area.
• Packaging methods and measurement, testing, data analysis and reporting.
• Trial briefing, planning, co-ordination and execution. Trial reporting and analysis of outcomes
• Bias for Action
• Accountability & Responsibility
• Growth Mindset
• Holistic Product Design
• Functional Requirements
• Risk Assessment and Management
• Concurrent Engineering
• Failure Mode and Effect analysis
• Measurement and Testing Plans
• Product Design Lock
• Scale-up and Validation
Other Functional Skills:
• Supply Chain
About the Company
Unilever is one of the leading FMCG company with 400 brands spanning 14 categories of home, personal care and foods products, no other company touches so many people's lives in so many different ways.
Our brand portfolio has made us leaders in every field in which we work. It ranges from much-loved world favourites including Lipton, Knorr, Dove and Omo, to trusted local brands such as Blue Band and Suave.
From comforting soups to warm a winter's day, to sensuous soaps that make you feel fabulous, our products help people get more out of life.
We're constantly enhancing our brands to deliver more intense, rewarding product experiences. We invest €1 billion every year in cutting edge research and development, and have five laboratories around the world that explore new thinking and techniques to help develop our products.