Job description / Role
Audit Intern - based in Sharjah (6 month contract)
Who is Grant Thornton?
Grant Thornton is a collaborative, entrepreneurial firm on the move! As part of a dynamic, global organization of more than 42,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries, we have the agility and focus it takes to be a leader.
Founded in Chicago in 1924, Grant Thornton is one of the world’s leading organizations of independent audit, tax and advisory firms.
We work with a broad range of publicly and privately held companies, government agencies and financial institutions. Core industries served include financial services, hospitality, real estate and construction, technology, manufacturing and trading. We focus on serving dynamic organizations that pursue growth holistically – whether through revenue improvement, leadership, mission fulfillment or innovation.
We are committed to capitalizing on our strengths and serving dynamic organizations that share our values and drive. Our global values of collaboration, leadership, excellence, agility, respect, and responsibility (“CLEARR”) guide our behaviors and fuel our ambition to be the firm that makes a difference every day.
We provide companies with the guidance that they need to help run their businesses, establish robust internal controls, use information effectively and improve performance. These services include compliance, consulting services, information technology solutions, forensic accounting and investigative services, recovery and reorganization, tax preparation, and valuation, to name a few.
What is Audit?
Grant Thornton’s Audit practice provides our clients with valuable insight regarding managing risk and improving business performance. We assist our clients with improving their overall financial reporting processes. Our goal is to help our clients better understand their business by keeping them regularly informed about their financial progress and by discussing accounting, financial, and regulatory developments that may impact their business.
Why become an Audit Intern at Grant Thornton?
During your internship at Grant Thornton, you will be exposed to audit procedures in the areas of cash, receivables, inventory, fixed assets, payrolls, and expense analysis. You will have an opportunity to work alongside Partners, Managers, Associates and other interns as a member of the engagement team. Additionally, you will have an opportunity to learn new skillsets, be involved in office community activities, and build lasting relationships with members of the Grant Thornton team. Your internship will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
• Working on a variety of client engagements in varying industries
• Networking with your peers
• Meeting with your mentor for regular feedback and professional development discussions
• Connecting with fellow interns and Grant Thornton staff at social events
• Participating in team-building exercises
• Giving back to the community through outreach activities
• Sharpening your leadership skills
Additional Job Responsibilities Include:
• Reviewing and auditing business transaction cycles including cash, treasury, capital expenditures, and other income and expenses
• Researching audit issues, utilizing electronic data bases, and review-tracking financial information utilizing audit related software
• Identifying, assessing, and informing senior staff members of audit related issues
• Collaboratively working with client team members while building rapport and strong client relationships
• Working closely with staff, managers, and partners on all phases of the project
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting
• The willingness and ability to work additional hours, as needed, and travel to various client sites is also required.
• Excellent analytical, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
• Strong technical aptitude and skillset
• Demonstrated project management skillset including project planning and time management
• Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a complex team environment
About the Company
Grant Thornton UAE is a member firm within Grant Thornton International Ltd. Grant Thornton UAE has been providing assurance and advisory services to growth oriented, entrepreneurial companies which are based in all markets and industries since 1966.
The extensive local and regional knowledge gained through the years has supported the development of the firm's reputation for providing a distinctive client service to its local, national and international client base.
The firm adopts best in class international tools, methodologies and independence/ risk management standards across all service lines in order to ensure the service provided is to the highest technical, professional and ethical standards for the benefit of all its clients.
The firm's mission is to be the adviser of choice to dynamic businesses, whilst being known as a bold and positive leader in its chosen markets.