Job description / Role
As a Chief Accountant, you will work directly with the Section Head and the Financial Controller, supporting the day-to-day financial activities including; transactional activities, preparation of month end accounts, bank and balance sheet reconciliations, accruals and advance payments, audits and year-end statutory accounts.
The Chief Accountant is accountable for supporting, and providing technical expertise, within the general accounting operations section as to the consistent use of international based statutory, and regulatory-based accounting principles of the entity.
- Supporting the consistent application of entity policies for revenue and cost transactions
- Provide data needed to support the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports (statutory format) in conjunction with the Financial Controller and Management Accounting and Reporting Section
- Supporting the Maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records (both approved Policy, Procedures, and ERP system performance, as required).
- Enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and
- Ensure that reported results comply with international financial reporting standards (Approved Accrual Standards) and Modified Cash Basis (regulatory).
- Maintain/Revision of the documented system of accounting policies and procedures (guides financial decisions by reviewing and enforcing policies and procedures)
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary activities, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by reviewing and enforcing internal controls.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
- Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Regular review of the chart of accounts
- Ensure an orderly accounting filing system
- Monitor that the system of controls over accounting transactions is adhered to and enforced
- Support VAT Tax preparation and reconciliation (in conjunction with the Financial Controller and Section Head)
- Supports the issuance of timely and complete statutory financial statements (Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Cash Flow)
- Regular Working Capital reporting
- Provide financial analyses as needed
- Ensure the consistent application of entity policies as per statutory and regulatory requirement
- Provide and support data (as needed and directed by Financial Affairs management) to meet external and internal audit requirements
Support the Financial Controller and Section Head by:
- Mentoring Accounting Operations staff by coaching, counseling, and providing knowledge transfer as applicable
- Regularly review compliance requirements (federal, state, local, and legal), advising Accounting Operations and Financial Affairs management on identified potential risk.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, CA/CPA (or equivalent) strongly preferred
- 7 - 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience for a major company or division of a large corporation.
- CPE / Continuous Professional Education - to maintain certification
- Advanced Accounting refresher courses (i.e., IFRS updates, Consolidations, Legal Rights, etc.)
- Advanced Spreadsheet, data, and ERP techniques.
- English and Arabic fluency require
- Strong ERP and Spreadsheet skills essential.
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.
National Marine Dredging Company
Senior Accountant - Treasury
Green Gulf Careers