Job description / Role
The Commercial Manager is responsible for leading bids in the delivery of best practice commercial governance and the application of the Serco Management System in a clear and consistent manner with innovative solutions appropriate to client requirements and risk. In addition the Commercial Manager’s primary objective is to achieve contract signature of commercial agreement that represents a sensible commercial deal for Serco Middle East and positions the delivery team to be able to achieve the anticipated margin on the contract.
Structure and reporting relationship
• Manager that provides a professional service to the sales and bidding function of the organisation.
• Typically working across a medium sized diverse business unit/division of Serco.
• Reports to the Head of Commercial and Contracts and is deployed to support specific bid teams formed to compete for Transport, Aviation, Defence, Technology and HIFM projects across the GCC.
• Lead the process that monitors, reviews and challenges all pre-contract commercial negotiations across all sectors and territories to ensure key financial risks and opportunities have been identified and mitigated (amendments to contract, insurances, flow down to sub-contractors, etc), there is completeness and robustness of price and the submission is competitive and rewarding.
• Playing a pivotal role at a detailed level, on those commercial negotiations that are either material in terms of impact on financials, impact on strategy or level of complexity.
• Develop bid specific strategy to deliver key commercial deliverables, including modelling, sensitivity analysis, assumptions, financials, structures, risks, rewards, terms, innovative solutions and price for small to medium sized projects.
• Development of innovative contract solutions in support of proposals in the acquisition stage.
• Interpret and operate both standard form and bespoke contract procedures and mechanisms.
• Identifies risk and takes mitigating action such as additional contract drafting.
• Working knowledge of commercial procedures, the principles of contract law.
• Providing advice and support to aid correct mobilisation of new contracts.
• Providing accurate and timely commercial information.
• Having an awareness of the key financial risks and opportunities facing the business, and leading the delivery of innovative initiatives, aimed at addressing those risks for the Middle East business.
• Support the bid lifecycle governance process including preparing appropriate documentation and processes and assist in the audit process across all sectors and territories.
• Create and develop close working relationships with existing and potential customers.
• Building strong relationships with key internal senior stakeholders. In particular, establishing excellent working relationships with the divisional executive team, the divisional senior finance team, the business development team and the operational team.
• Assist the Head of Commercial and Contracts on adhoc basis.
• Related degree or equivalent experience.
• High level knowledge, understanding and demonstrable adoption of Serco’s governing principles.
• Strong technical grasp of bidding, commercial dialogue, contract drafting, negotiating and being the commercial lead on large complex bids.
• Strong and demonstrable skills of working with a multi-disciplinary team.
• Experience of working in a multi-site organisation.
• Familiar with varying contract structures and principles.
• Experienced / advanced ability in the reviewing, drafting and negotiating of small to medium contracts / agreements.
• Experienced in bonds, guarantees, letter of credit, and other financial instruments applicable.
• Experienced in procuring project specific insurances.
• Ability to demonstrate an understanding and adoption of Serco’s governing principles.
• Experience of bidding and large operational projects.
• Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team.
• Is able to provide innovative solutions to complex commercial and contractual problems.
• Is able to negotiate to win, compromise, mediate opposing views and resolve conflict.
• Is able to influence and motivate when recommending a course of action.
• Is able to gain customer trust, set expectations, and accommodate requests but also diplomatically decline unreasonable demands.
• Is able to work equally well at a detailed level and at a strategic level, as required.
• Must have a flexible approach with an ability to adapt to a constantly changing environment.
• Continually seeks improved and more efficient methods of working.
• Works well in a pressured environment.
• A willingness and ability to travel including abroad, if required.
Additional/specialfeatures of the role
• A minimum of 7 years’ experience in the management of commercial business activities and commercial advice.
• Experience in leading commercial negotiations.
• Experience at working at a strategic level.
About the Company
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Serco customers are looking for expertise in managing their people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise economic decision makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver quality services directly to the public.
Serco supplies to governments, government enterprise, agencies and companies who seek a trusted outsourcing partner with a solid track-record of service excellence. Serco people offer operational, logistical and technical expertise in the Transport, Justice and Immigration, Defence, Education and Healthcare industries as well as in the commercial sectors of Facilities Management.
Serco Middle East have been in the Region since 1947, starting out delivering Air Traffic Control Services in Bahrain; a service we are proudly still running today and have expanded to include many other Airports in the region.
We have expanded significantly since that time across the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. We have been supporting the RTA to operate the Dubai Metro since 2009, are preparing to launch the flagship Saudi Arabia Passenger Rail service from Riyadh to Qassim in 2016. We deliver Facility Management services to both Cleveland Clinic and Healthpoint Hospitals in Abu Dhabi, large-scale medical facilities in Saudi Arabia and a range of educational and commercial properties in the UAE. We also deliver postgraduate education to Officers in the Qatar Armed Forces through the Joaan Bin Jassim Joint Command and Staff College in Doha.
Focusing on our core values, and creating a positive environment for employees to thrive, we look forward to a bright future as we continue to grow with the region.