Job description / Role
Creative Lab Description
The Creative Lab is hands on tinkering and making space for kids and families. The exhibits and activities in the Creative Lab Gallery are designed to facilitate opened-ended exploration and creation by children of all ages and their families.
The Creative Lab Team specializes in the development, and facilitation, of high quality, hands on making and tinkering activities for children that take place throughout the museum. These programs range from Drop In Activities, Weekend Workshops, Holiday/Summer Camps, After School Programs, Field Trip Experiences, Special Events, Off-site Outreach Programs, Corporate Team Building, and more. From high tech to low tech, and the artistic to the engineered, we teach kids and families how tinker, design, make, and create together.
The Creative Lab Manager will oversee all of the exhibits, activities, and operations of the Creative Lab Gallery. This includes the day to day set up of the gallery, as well as the maintenance, repair, and continual improvement of its exhibits and activities. The Creative Lab manager will train museum staff on how to facilitate these different exhibits and activities. The Creative Lab is the hub for art supplies, tools, and materials for the entire museum, and the Creative Lab Manager will be in charge of the organization and management of all of these supplies.
The Creative Lab Manager will assist the Director of the Creative Lab in all aspects of Creative Lab programming, from ordering and preparing materials, to teaching workshops, camps, classes and facilitating other types of events. The Creative Lab Manager, with the assistance of the Director of the Creative Lab, will also have the opportunity to develop new exhibits, activities, tinkering experiences, camps, workshops, and other programs.
The Creative Lab Manager will work towards OliOli’s vision of creating awesome experiences and memories for children, acting as OliOli’s brand ambassador, with the primary objective of engaging with all visitors in an empathetic, thoughtful and joyful manner. Ideal candidates have strong experience as educators or teachers; strong experience and interest with making, tinkering, and creative use of technology; and most importantly, are looking for a highly collaborative opportunity where they can design, and implement their most exciting ideas for museum exhibits, activities, and programming.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain all daily operations of the gallery:
- Prepare, setup, repair, and improve all of the activities and exhibits in the Creative Lab
- Train, and help, museum floor staff on how to facilitate these activities in the Creative Lab
- Manage, purchase, track, and organize all the tools and materials of the Creative Lab
- Help keep the gallery, its classroom, cabinets, and work areas neat and tidy.
- Assist in all aspects of Creative Lab programming
- Help with the setting up, preparation, and facilitation of all Creative Lab programs, including but not limited to, weekend workshops, holiday camps, school group workshops, offsite events, and museum wide activations.
- With the assistance of the Director of the Creative Lab , prototype and develop new exhibits and activities for the Creative Lab Gallery as well as develop new workshops, camps, and other programs
- Ensure safe use of tools and machines by visitors and colleagues
- Support other museum colleagues as needed for special events and programs
- Improve communication with visitors to the Creative Lab
- With the assistance of the Director of the Creative Lab, develop and implement new signage and instructional videos for our exhibits and activities
- Help develop new ways to get feedback from visitors
- Assist in developing new ways to track visitor numbers to the Creative Lab Gallery and our programs
AED 12,000 to 14,000 per month inclusive of fixed allowances.
Additional benefits: - Relocation allowance if applicable - Health insurance - Annual return air-ticket back home (once every 12 months) - Gratuity in accordance with UAE law - 30-days annual leave
- Strong interest in prototyping and making
- Ability to learn technical skills quickly
- Fluency with using computers and G Suite (Google Docs, Sheets, Etc)
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and problem solve in a fast paced work environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service experience
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact positively with children, adults, and large groups
- Experience working with young children (ages 2-13) and their families in informal or formal education settings
- Experience developing and facilitating, lesson plans, curriculum, classes, activities, or workshops for kids
- Ability to work with diverse staff and visitors
- Excellent grasp of the English language. Arabic is a plus
Preferred Technical Skills
Candidates should have basic understanding of, and experience with, at least 3 of the following:
- Vector based digital design programs (Illustrator or Inkscape)
- Digital Fabrication with a Laser Cutter
- Simple 3D modeling (TinkerCAD or Sketch Up)
- Basic block based coding (MakeCode and Scratch)
- Microcontrollers (Arduino, micro:bit, Raspberry Pi)
- Hand tools and small power tools (Hammers, Saws, Clamps, Drills)
- This is a full-time position based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
General Requirements & Physical Demands
- Be an ambassador for the OliOli brand; ensure that every visitor’s experience at OliOli meets or exceeds expectations, specifically through inclusive, culturally appropriate, positive and memorable interactions with a friendly and sincere approach
- Contribute to a positive, team-based, work culture
- Collect and communicate visitor’s feedback and suggestions
- Attend to guest queries, and complaints. Amicably resolve matters with any dissatisfied guests
-The role is expected to be physically demanding and the candidate must have the physical and emotional capacity to deal with the role’s requirements
- This position requires the ability to do one or more of the following throughout the day stand, sit, walk, bend, and reach above and below shoulder level, carry objects of differing sizes and weights. Involves frequent repetitive motion
- The noise level in the work environment is highly variable, from quiet to loud
- The working timings include morning and/or evening shifts. Weekends and holidays work are required
- Working weekends (Fridays and Saturdays) is a requirement for this position. Off days will be on weekdays (Sunday - Thursday). Scheduling will be coordinated with the Director of the Creative Lab
- School and government holidays are the busiest times for any museum. All employees must be prepared to plan their vacations for different periods of time.
Traits & Characteristics
- Ability to learn technical skills and interest in growing those skills
- Self-starter and self-motivated; thrives working in a team-oriented and collaborative environment
- Lots of positive energy; respectful of diversity; patient and empathetic; friendly; courteous
- Interest and enthusiasm for working with children and families
- Ability to work with diverse staff and visitors
- Adaptable to perform a variety of duties
College degree is required. Majors in art, technology, design, or education will be a plus.
About the Company
OliOli® is the Hawaiian word for 'joy'. With 8 galleries and over 40 exhibits, OliOli is an interactive play museum of delights to stimulate a child's body and mind.
We exist to bring wow experiences to children of all ages - creating a wholesome and delight-filled alternative to screen-based fun. Each space has been thoughtfully conceived with creativity and innovation, designed to inspire, stimulate imagination and curiosity, and spark a love of learning.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Business Development Manager - Architecture
Senior Interior Designer