Job description / Role
Job Title : Crewing Officer
Department : Crewing
Reporting to : HR & Crewing Manager
- Payroll Officer for Sea staff
Provides support to the HR & Crewing Manager in the provision of full HR training services to ZMI Shore Staff. Manages and coordinates all training for ZMI Sea and Shore Staff.
Key Performance Areas Key Performance Indicators
- Monitors Training Plan for all seafarers (officers & crew).
- Tracks all STCW training requirements and validity ensuring courses do not expire during term of employment contract.
- Tracks all
- Open Personnel Training Matrix for all new joining staff.
- Carry out Staff Induction for all new junior shore staff.
- Develop, maintain and update a database of all shore and sea staff training.
- Reviewing and verifying Training Invoices from training providers and agencies ensuring accuracy prior to approval process for payment.
- Prepare and monitor Training Budget for all sea and shore staff.
- Renews agreements (through negotiation) by having HR & Crewing Manager signing off approved (OPCO & OPITO) training service providers contractual arrangements.
Training and Coordination
- Raises skills levels by arranging appropriate training; scheduling and planning of all client requirement training for joining crew.
- Ensures all OPTIMA cards and HSE inductions are carried out with all new recruits.
- Ensures that all training required in terms of ISM is completed timeously.
- Check local and client requirement training for every new joining crew member.
- Check training requirements of all returning crew members.
- Book required training courses to commence the first working day after arrival of the crew member.
- Ensure each joining crew member receives a training schedule on arrival.
- Ensure transport is arranged for conveying staff to training courses and visa medicals.
- Where applicable, apply for Travel cards as soon as crew members arrive.
- Provide MSI’s with all relevant data for booking client interviews.
- Arrange and schedule Client Inductions timeously.
- Ensure all staff joining ships have completed all the required training before embarking.
- Maintains a daily status report detailing training completed, underway and planned.
- Monitor and track Travel card applications and take necessary action to ensure these are issued within the required time period.
- Plan all training for sea staff to ensure time spent ashore is kept to an absolute minimum.
- Liaise with Training providers to ensure priority bookings for ZMI sea staff.
- Liaise with Crewing Officers to coordinate availability dates for crew requiring additional training so as to coincide with port calls and not to delay sailing.
- Liaise with Departmental heads for training requirements of offshore based staff and plan according to departmental needs.
- Keep a detailed Master List of all training required, planned and carried out complete with dates.
- Maintain personnel files for all offshore based staff.
- Develop and maintain a leave record keeping system for all ZMI shore staff.
- Maintain a database of all accredited training providers which must include applicable courses offered, costs and special discounts/services offered to ZMI.
- Maintain an up to date database of all additional training requirements as required by each client.
- Ensure that certificates of attendance/completion are received for every person who has undergone training.
- Liaise with the Crewing Filing Clerk/Data Capturer to ensure that copies of all training certificates are added to the personnel files and uploaded correctly into the ERP database system.
- Ensure that all staff who have undergone training receive the original Certificates of Attendance.
- Contributes to team effort by undertaking related tasks as needed.
- Maintains and develops effective communication between office and sea staff.
- Contributes to the overall business unit effort by carrying out other operational responsibilities as defined by the Crewing Team Leader and HR & Crewing Manager.
- Continually optimise and improve efficiencies of the Department by planning, and optimising control measures.
- Manage the content of the ERP database by reviewing deficiency lists and capturing data on daily basis.
- Ensure input and update to the ERP data is carried out on a regular basis.
- Ensures that personnel training records are kept up to date.
- Provide statistical data as required for monthly management reports.
- Liaise and communicate with other Crewing & HR staff to ensure other staff are able to carry out the Training and HR Admin roles as required for periods of absence.
- Maintains sufficient knowledge of other Crew Administration activities in order to be able to relieve other Crewing & HR Staff when necessary.
- Training new office staff in Crewing Department with HR & Crewing Policies, Procedures and related SHEQ management requirements.
- Encourage staff to place a strong emphasis on Safety, Health, Environmental Protection and Quality management.
- Comply with UAE Labour Law pertaining to Sea Staff.
- Comply with all requirements of the STCW Convention and ISM Code.
- Comply with the International Maritime Labour Convention.
- Comply with all Flag State Requirements.
- Keep abreast of developments in STCW, ISM, IMO & ILO legislative instruments.
Policies & Procedures
- Review changes to the Fleet Personnel Policy relating to Sea Staff training and Development and submit proposals to the HR & Crewing Manager.
- Maintain a culture that supports staff welfare and ensure that good communication systems are maintained in support of this objective.
- Participate actively in monitoring/reviewing and maintaining the Company SHEQ management system.
- Comply with Company SHE-Q document control procedures.
Statistics/ Management Reports
- Ensures that sea and shore staff training and development statistics are prepared and submitted timeously.
- Provide input to monthly management reports timeously.
- Provide statistical training, development and mentoring data as required by Company/Clients/Government departments.
- Ensures that any information associated with ZMI trade secrets is kept strictly confidential.
- Ensures good and secure record keeping and daily backup of ERP and sensitive electronic information.
Performance Objectives Performance Standards
- Ownership & Accountability
- Diligence in completing the expected amount of work.
- Reliability on carrying out instructions and completing tasks within allocated time periods.
- Complying with quality expectations.
- Demonstrating judgement and ingenuity, in the absence of firm guidelines/rules.
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Delivering work which is accurate and with sound attention to detail.
- Provides high standard of service to internal and external customers (personnel, quality, productivity, timing, feedback, etc.)
Training, Education & Development
- Understanding of job requirements and mastery of skills and techniques to meet them.
- Demonstrate willingness to learn new processes; and takes the lead in own development.
Fairness & Respect
- Maintains dignified, honest and harmonious relationships with all colleagues, managers and internal clients.
- Able to co-operate and act in the best interest of the Company, in spite of differences with other individuals or departments.
- Ability to convey information simply and effectively.
- Ability to keep information confidential where necessary.
- Ability to generate own correspondence and keep records thereof.
- Demonstrates high motivation levels and loyalty.
- Ability to perform tasks independently and without unnecessary assistance.
- Willingness to co-operate and work constructively with department heads.
- Ability to maintain acceptable and punctual attendance and work time behaviour.
- HR & Crewing Manager
- Crewing Team Leaders
- Head of Departments
- Marine Superintendents
- All Shore and Offshore management & supervisory staff
- Training Service Providers
- Maritime & Flag state authorities
- Recruitment & Manpower Agencies
- Ship owners and operators / Ship agents
- Industrial bodies & associations
Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Competencies
Minimum Required Qualification
- Post school diploma or similar.
Minimum Years of experience
- 3 years’ experience in Marine industry.
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to convey information in simple and effective manner.
- Have sound Inter-Personal skill set (Soft Skills)
- Able to perform tasks independents, without assistance.
- Maintains acceptable and punctual attendance and work time behaviour.
- Ensure secure record keeping of sea staff data.
About the Company
Zakher Marine International provides services to the Offshore Oil and Gas Industries and Offshore Marine Construction Companies and is clearly focused on client satisfaction and retention.
The Company was established in Abu Dhabi in 1984 where the Head Office remains, a branch office was established in Alexandria, Egypt in 2000.
In the past ten years the ZMI has achieved remarkable growth, built new vessel’s to meet the high standards and requirements of local and international clients. ZMI currently operate over 50 offshore support vessels.
The Management of Zakher Marine is committed to provide safe and healthy working conditions for our employees and client personnel based on board our vessels. Our aim is to sustain safe, environmentally friendly operating practices that comply with applicable national and international codes and regulations, relevant standards, guidelines and client requirements.