Job description / Role
We are Chalhoub Group, a leading family business in the world of beauty, fashion and gifts. We have blended our Middle East expertise and intimate knowledge of luxury to offer service excellence to all our partners and a unique experience to all our customers for over 60 years
As we continue to grow, it's our vision to become a hybrid retailer, bringing luxury experiences to the fingertips of customers everywhere.
Our passionate teams drive our vision forward, without them, we couldn't create luxury experiences for our customers. Through opportunities, development and support, we empower each and every employee to achieve their career goals - and beyond. It's an exciting journey we're on, and one you could be part of.
The Data Engineer will help us leverage our existing Big Data and Analytics platforms to derive insight and value outcomes from our data assets. You will work closely with business stakeholders and IT colleagues to understand opportunities where the application of data analysis, reporting and visualisation will drive business benefits.
You will work with data sets from across multiple online and offline retail businesses and distribution operations. Responsibilities will include data ingestion, integration & cleansing, data warehousing and data analysis.
In this role, you should have a background in Big Data, Business Intelligence and data analysis. You should be an analytical thinker and a quick learner. If you also have business acumen, good communications skills, and are a self-starter then we would like to meet you.
Ultimately, you will build, deploy and enhance analytical capabilities to help us make better decisions.
What you'll be doing:
- Create datasets in Hive using the Zaloni Data Platform and HD Insight
- Develop Data Warehouses and Data Marts to enable Reporting and Analytics
- Exploratory Data Analysis with SQL, Power BI, HiveQL, Python or R
- Implementing Machine Learning models in Spark (pyspark/scala)
- Building and deploying ETL/ELT procedures for populating databases & data lake
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Technical & Business Analysis
- Ad-hoc data analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
- Develop and update technical documentation
What you'll need to succeed in this role:
- Undergraduate degree in the following disciplines Computing, Engineering or Mathematics
- Strong technical background, with understanding or digital technologies, business processes.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Data manipulation with SQL, HiveQL, Spark.
- HDFS & Linux environments
- Administration and monitoring of Big Data environment (Linux, Ambari, HDInsight, ADLS)
- Data Mart implementation in Hive & SQL
- Integration between Big Data and Tradition BI environments (e.g. Sqoop)
- Data exploration, analysis and visualisation
- Understanding of SDLC, Source Control, IT Project management
- Creation of indexes in Elastic Search and configuration of Kibana for visualisation
- Implementation of Machine Learning Models
- Implementation of workflows in Zaloni Data Platform
- Knowledge of Data Science practices and processes
- R/Python for data analysis
- VB.net/C#.net/Java application programming
- Understanding of Cloud Data Architecture
- Expertise with 'traditional' BI Stack (MS SQL BI Stack)
- OBIEE / PL-SQL
- Minimum of 3 years as a Data Engineer/Data Scientist
- Retail/Customer Data/Finance
Ready to join our exciting transformation to become a hybrid retailer, bringing luxury experiences to the fingertips of our customers everywhere? Now's your chance. By being part of our journey here at Chalhoub Group, you can make a real impact on customers and some of the finest brands in the world. In return, you'll have everything you need to innovate your career.
What we can offer you
We will help shape your journey with us through enriching experiences, learning and development opportunities and exposure to different assignments within your role or through internal mobility.
Our Group offers the opportunity to support careers that may span different teams, different job roles, different categories and even different countries. We offer diverse career paths for those who show drive and passion as well as the desire to learn and grow.
We recognise the value that you bring, and we strive to provide a competitive benefits package which includes health care, life insurance, child education contribution & exclusive employee discounts.
About the Company
The Chalhoub Group is the leading partner for luxury across the Middle East since 1955. As an expert in retail, distribution and marketing services based in Dubai, the group has become a major player in the fashion, beauty and gift sectors regionally.
By blending its Middle East expertise and intimate knowledge of luxury, Chalhoub Group is building brands in the region, by offering service excellence to all its partners and a unique experience to its customers through its passionate teams.
With a growing workforce of more than 9,000 people, implemented in 14 countries, as well as the operating of over 470 retail outlets, the group's success is attributed to its most valued asset of highly skilled and dedicated teams. Professionalism and passion are what fuel the Chalhoub Group's competitive edge in today's market.
By being committed to implementing sustainable practices into their business, the Chalhoub Group has been awarded in 2013 the CSR Label from the Dubai Chamber of Commerce.