Job description / Role
The Director of Finance will support the Vice Chancellor in delivering on the University's strategic goals and objectives and engaging in decision making at executive level. S/he will establish a high performing finance function - delivering cost effectiveness and value for money by taking a lead in driving initiatives, supporting revenue diversification, managing compliance and risk, supporting financial reporting and planning through the provision of timely and appropriate management information and financial insight. The Director of Finance will provide strong leadership skills, inspiring and managing a team as well as guiding them through a significant period of change. S/he will provide the necessary assurance to the University and relevant stakeholders that the University's resources are being managed effectively and in a financially sustainable manner.
Strategic Planning and Effective Utilization of Financial Resources
- Develops financial solutions and models that contribute to the achievement of the University's strategic objectives, diversifying revenue and driving value for money whilst planning and providing for financial sustainability.
- Advises and supports the Board, Chairman, Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, Provost and other University Officers on the utilization and optimization of financial resources.
- Builds and maintains relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, relating to academic and other staff at all levels and ensuring a high level of responsiveness and accountability to the University community at all times.
- Represents the University in discussions with the CAA, ADEC, KHDA, MOE, relevant Government Departments/Agencies and Auditors (internal & external).
- Contributes to the leadership and strategic planning of the University by becoming a partner in decision making at executive level.
- Ensures robust budgeting and financial planning strategies are employed and that the University has a vigorous and effective financial reporting function, implementing good financial practice, policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Directly supports the VC in effectively controlling and managing the University's budget, through income generation and cost effectiveness.
- Undertakes other duties that may be required upon request of the Chairman, Chancellor and Vice Chancellor.
Financial Systems Development
- Engages with and support the ERP team to enhance system developments and ongoing process review and improvement, thus ensuring the provision of accurate, unambiguous, timely and relevant reports.
Management of the Finance Department
- Leads out on service delivery in the finance function, ensuring it is fully aligned to the University's Mission, Vision and Values.
- Delivers continuous improvement in organizational effectiveness against "best in class" comparators.
- Ensures that resources are used to provide a professional, cost effective, customer driven and high quality service, with an appropriate focus of energy on efficiency, compliance, control, risk and insight.
- Leads out on the creation of the Finance Department Service Level Agreement, along with KPI's and metrics that provide robust and meaningful measures of success.
- Manages the availability of talent, ensuring that change is proactively initiated and implemented by developing a culture of engagement.
- Continues to build capabilities of the team to ensure good succession planning in all finance functions.
- Champions the Finance Department by fostering a team spirit, thus ensuring that staff are motivated to work to their full potential and individual contribution is optimized.
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant discipline
- Professional accounting qualification, with membership of a recognised accounting body
- Minimum of 10 years' experience at a senior management level, preferably in a similar environment.
- Bilingual (Fluency in both English and Arabic)
- Critical Thinking & Innovative Approach - Ability to work flexibly and operate strategically within a busy and complex environment; dealing with competing demands in order to produce high quality responses; pay attention to detail and possess a very high standard of accuracy; be highly motivated with proven organisational and administrative experience.
- Interpersonal skills - An ability to interact and build networks with colleagues across all departments and external stakeholders; demonstrate a strong service focus with the skills to positively influence and negotiate; demonstrate an awareness of and empathy for the cultural environment and specific needs of the academic community.
- Staff Management - proven ability to lead, inspire and manage a team; coach, train and mentor staff as required; manage and develop talent and ensure robust succession planning measures are in place; establish robust staff management practices and procedures; pro-actively tackle issues and disputes in a constructive manner and implement performance management measures.
- Problem Solving - capable of working on own initiative and also in a team; to multi-task within a busy environment; able to prioritise tasks and work under time constraints; ability to prioritise and be a dedicated professional, committed to delivering a service whilst carrying a wide-ranging and considerable work load.
- Written - Can produce written communications that reflect the standing of the University
- Verbal - a demonstrated ability to interact with people at all levels, both internal and external to the organisation; demonstrate emotional intelligence and communicate with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality
- IT Technology - Highly developed computer skills with use of IT as a driver of efficiency; experience of databases, spreadsheet applications, financial information systems and other Microsoft Office products
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of financial accounting standards, policies and regulations and a proven ability to interpret and advise accordingly. Knowledge of the University environment and culture would be an advantage.
- Substantial experience of financial management, reporting and associated oversight, working in an environment requiring the highest standards.
- People management and leadership experience, experience of significant institutional/organisational change and change management is desirable. Can demonstrate where they have identified efficiencies and improved work practices and delivered change in a positive way, through investment in innovative, cost effective solutions.
- Experience of strategic financial management initiatives, ensuring both compliance and cost effectiveness whilst identifying, exploring and implementing income diversification strategies and ensuring financial sustainability.
- Project Management - possess the necessary skills and experience, including the development of significant projects as demonstrated by prior example, monitoring of progress towards achieving project objectives within the required time frames.
- Demonstrated ability to develop executive financial reports of the highest standard.
About the Company
Abu Dhabi University is the largest private university in the UAE and is committed to becoming the institution of choice for students across all Emirates and more widely in the region.
With four Colleges offering over 40 undergraduate and postgraduate programs, campuses in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Dubai and Al Dhafra Region, and multiple affiliations with globally renowned institutions, a UAE-wide, truly international quality education is guaranteed for all of our students.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Senior Finance Manager
Group Finance Director / CFO (Construction)
Chief Financial Officer for Fire Protection Systems Company
A Leading Recruitment Agency in UAE