Job description / Role
What we are looking for ?
SSH are looking for a Discipline Lead - Structures to join our offices, where we provide front-end design leadership for the wider group. The location of this role will depend on the right candidates' mobility and ability to travel between KSA, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar and Cape Town'
Our portfolio of live projects includes cultural, healthcare, hospitality and retail projects across the Middle East and North Africa. We are looking for individuals with exceptional design skills and a passion for working towards excellence in design delivery. You will work as part of the wider engineering teams based in Kuwait, Dubai, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar and Cape Town.
SSH is a master planning, infrastructure, building design, construction supervision and project management company. We are proud to present a reputation for design integrity and a portfolio of landmark projects throughout the Middle East region.
What will my responsibilities look like in this role?
Leads and mentors a design group and is responsible for large scale projects from bidding to delivery.
• Contribute to preparation of bids.
• Lead the design team throughout the design stages.
• Responsible for key design input at early design phases and for general design leadership during the course of the project.
• Contribute from the onset of a project, to the design of innovative and progressive design solutions that reconcile SSH and client's goals and priorities while fostering opportunities for design excellence.
• Make appropriate value judgement with respect to corrective work that supports the design concept and performance goals of the project.
• To perform and direct material and building systems research and participate in the coordination and preparation of project specifications.
• Set an example of leadership among team leaders.
• Participate in marketing and business development.
• Act as the client's point of contact for design related issues.
• Act as the project's design coordinator and contributes (fully or partially) to the overall design management activities.
• Conduct performance evaluation reviews to subordinate (junior) team members.
• Take initiatives to develop design manuals, standard design documents, presentations, etc. to increase efficiencies, knowledge and awareness across the wider engineering community.
What do I need to apply?
• Outstanding Structural Design skills
• Extensive Middle East project experience
• Multidisciplinary projects of various scales including but not limited to: Master Planning, Destination Developments, Parks and others
• Flexibility and attitude towards company objectives.
• Cordial relationships with clients and stakeholders.
• Understanding of commercial and financial management of projects.
• Full understanding of risk management and ability to transmit the same to others.
• Commitment to innovation and design excellence.
• Understanding of scope definition and scope interface and ability to transmit the same to others.
• Outstanding presentation skills.
• Experience in completing project reports on project quality, safety, technical compliance and progress
• Full knowledge of local and international industry standards, policies, codes and procedures and ability to transmit the same to others.
• Full knowledge of Statutory Authorities requirements
• Knowledge of codes, regulations and submission requirements
• Developed knowledge of Health and Safety in Design
• Developed knowledge of Sustainable Design principles.
• Ability and will to mentor and provide support to subordinate (junior) staff members and spread knowledge across the wider architectural community.
• Ability and will to update knowledge
• Excellent command of English (written and spoken).
• Knowledge of other languages is an added value
• B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Structural or Civil Engineering
• Registered membership of an internationally recognised engineering body is an advantage
About the Company
Having been in business for 50 years, we have accumulated unparalled knowledge, skill, and creativity. We use our expertise to develop a truly tailored innovative and creative solution that is in line with our clients' specific requirements. We don't sell a "house style" - that's not our style.
The firm has its headquarters in Kuwait and has completed a wide range of projects locally and throughout the Middle East. A recent survey conducted by the World Architecture Magazine shows that SSH is currently ranked as number fifty two in the world.
We treat our employees as valued members of the team. We believe in the power of every single person who works here and the individual expertise they bring to a project. We reinforce the worth of every individual by giving them the room to excel.
SSH is registered in Kuwait with the Ministry of Planning, Ministry of Public Works, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Ministry of Defense, the Kuwait Municipality and many private enterprises.
The Firm is registered with international and bi-lateral agencies such as the United Nations Development Programme, the International Road Federation, the Arab Fund for Social and Economic Development, the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development, the Committee for Reconstruction and Development in Lebanon.