Job description / Role
Tasks and Responsibilities
- The NSSTC is looking to hire an embedded systems engineer to support the development of NSSTC Space mission projects and R&D activities.
- The NSSTC is looking to hire an embedded computer hardware engineer to support the development of NSSTC Space mission projects and R&D activities.
- The embedded engineer must have an understanding of real time embedded systems including micro-processors, micro-controllers, Memory types and systems, mass memory storage (solid state recorders), digital input and output interfaces, data communication links (both serial and parallel).
- The engineer must have experience in specifying, developing and testing real time embedded computer hardware and required low level software - for time critical real time applications, such as those applied to spacecraft, landers, rovers, UAVs and Robotics.
- The position requires good understanding of computer systems. The tasks also require the development of test benches as well as the generation of test vectors and sub-system test and validation coverage analysis.
- The role requires the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team that will be engaged in the design and development of CubeSats and Small Spacecraft.
- As an engineer you will be asked to perform a variety of tasks related to the development of projects within the NSSTC including (but not limited to) generating the embedded real time system and sub-system hardware requirements and providing performance parameters to the embedded software engineers, collecting requirements from the various systems and sub-systems that define the function of the real time embedded computer
- Experience with STM32 processors and its software tools.
- Experience with the STM32 processor systems or other similar class of processor
- Development and digital design with FPGAs.
- Understanding and expiring with Real-Time Operating Systems.
- On-Board computer development management - requirements generation, version control, task distribution, validation and verification
- Micro-processor simulators and Debugging systems
- Debugging Hardware with target Software
- Computer parallel bus architectures
- Experience with Error Detection and correction techniques (EDAC), bit errors and block errors as well as scrubbing techniques
- Efficient use of Interrupts (both masked and un-masked)
- Utilization of watchdog timers and FDIR
- All type of volatile and none volatile memory devices and systems that are suitable for Space applications
- Program and data memory system development
- Mass memory (onboard solid-state recorder) system architectures, data and file management
- Direct memory access techniques
- Serial data links; Space-wire, RS232/RS422, Ethernet, I2C, CAN etc
- Wireless data links: WIFI, Bluetooth, Zigbee etc.
- Input / Output sub-systems - Digital and Analog data collection, Digital and Analog controls
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.