Job description / Role
At Amazon, we are working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. If you want to help us build the place to find and buy anything online, this is your chance to make history. We are looking for a dynamic, organized self-starter to join the Employee Relations team as the Employee Relations Manager for Middle East.
We are seeking a progressive, hands-on, customer-obsessed individual who will help to develop our employee relations agenda of creating a positive employee relations climate that supports employee safety, capability, engagement and a high performance, customer-obsessed culture. Understanding of local legislative guidelines, collective bargaining agreements and local union practices and demands is critical to help direct the people agenda and maintain Amazon standards and practices.
This position supports Amazon’s operations businesses within the Middle East. The central objective of Amazon’s Employee Relations team is to ensure our organization’s treatment of employees is fair, respectful, and consistent.
The individual will be responsible for the following types of proactive work:
- Independently own large scale, country-wide projects that improve the associate experience at a site and network level
- Define, develop the existing arrangements for collective consultation and communication as required for the ongoing evolution of the business, and in compliance with all country labor Laws in the Middle East and Amazon ER policies.
- Partner with Senior Operations leadership and HR teams to create and sustain positive employee relations programs and best practices designed to achieve engagement targets which are aligned to Amazon’s ER philosophy.
- Design, deliver and evaluate training programs to build up employee relations capability for both operations and HR
- Collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data from multiple sources including employee feedback mechanisms to identify trends and insight that can be used to inform business decision making to ensure positive employee relations.
- Conduct and oversee employee relations vulnerability risk assessments to identify opportunities and vulnerabilities.
- Partner to engage in continuous improvement in communication vehicles and practices. Support and advise Operations leadership and HR partners on effective change management
- In partnership with HR, analyze, diagnose, design, and revise people programs, policies, and practices to sustain positive employee relations that are compliant with the relevant employment law.
- Ensure employee relations compliance within the Middle East legislation in partnership with our HR and Legal Partners
The COUNTRY Employee Relations Manager also will work reactively on critical employee relations issues that are crisis-oriented and typically can only be successfully completed within limited time. Balancing time between projects and crisis-response is a critical component for success in the position.
This position reports to an Employee Relations Principal for Emerging Markets. This is a full-time position that will require significant travel, up to 50% of the time over the course of the year, including occasional travel globally. Due to the nature of the travel, the base location is flexible. The role can be located in Egypt, UAE, Saudi Arabia or Jordan.
- 7+ years direct experience in employee relations, labor relations, or labor/employment law with an emphasis on labor and employee relations work
- Experience in manufacturing/distribution/call center locations with experience working with an hourly workforce and / or unionized settings.
- Degree Level Education
- Solid understanding of Middle East employment and labor laws
- Strong team, interpersonal and persuasion skills, enabling individual to establish influential partnerships working with peers, senior leaders and across organizational lines
- Acts with sense of urgency, bias for action, fast pace, and desire to thrive in a dynamically growing environment
- High-quality judgment and sound decision-making
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, flexible, able to change direction quickly and in leading through both ambiguity and constant change
- Successful record of creating, improving and executing programs at scale, ability to drive and measure program effectiveness and high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Concrete project and time management skills with ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects to closure
- Fluent in English and at least one Middle Eastern language
- Technically proficient in Microsoft Office Suite systems including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Advanced degree or other specialized training in labor/employee relations a significant plus.
- Previous Operations experience.
- Ability to connect with people across a wide variety of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
About the Company
Amazon.ae, formerly Souq.com, is an English-Arabic language e-commerce platform, owned by Amazon, Inc. It is the largest e-commerce platform in the Arab world. On March 28, 2017, Amazon.com Inc. confirmed it would be acquiring Souq.com for $580 million. On May 1, 2019, Souq.com became known as Amazon.ae.