Job description / Role
Be a part of our international consultancy business that spans our five global hubs, where we oversee work for world leading organisations across the public and private sectors. Our Middle East and North Africa hub started in 1998 and has successfully operated in a wide range of countries, delivering project and programme management and cost consultancy services.
Environmental Manager - Major Exhibition Programme
The environmental manager will ensure the proper implementation and administration of the environment assurance standards, and the programme construction environmental management plan (CEMP). In addition, the role is responsible to provide construction projects, including international participants, with guidance on sound field environmental management practices.
The position will also have a focus on the environment requirements leading to the event phase; this will include overseeing the transition of all assets from the contractor (main contractors and overlay contractors) to the events operations team, other business departments and external stakeholders. During event phase, the role will ensure that all operating departments, external service delivery providers, organisations, partners and countries adhere to the project’s environmental requirements, which include, event time environment management policy, procedures, and standards.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Assisting the senior manager in supervising the implementation of the environment program by all relevant parties during the construction phase of the project.
• Assisting the senior manager in setting the environment strategy and framework for the event phase of the project.
• Monitoring and regularly reviews the different regulations in terms of environment and provides relevant modifications/inputs to the senior manager.
• Working with peers in other disciplines (sustainability, quality, health and safety and worker welfare) to ensure integrated strategies and systems that avoid unnecessary duplication.
• Providing environmental advice and guidance to the project teams as required.
• Providing on-boarding sessions to consultants and contractors on the programme environmental requirements, as needed.
• Maintaining an active field presence through tours, joint inspections, audits and project meetings to encourage project level environmental performance.
• Monitoring and reviews environmental studies, plans and reports prepared by the consultants and contractors.
• Undertaking performance monitoring, including audits on supervision consultants and preparation of audit reports, to provide assurance that the standards and CEMP are implemented at project level.
• Overseeing the implementation of environmental mitigation measures and auditing plans by the supervision consultants and contractors.
• Ensuring project level environment data logs and reports are submitted on time and reviewed for content and accuracy.
• Contributing to programme-wide and projects monthly reports.
• Delivering targeted quarterly campaigns and communications across the programme to drive awareness on expectations and mitigate risks.
• Monitoring that induction and training programmes are developed and implemented at project level to promote environmental awareness and compliance.
• Overseeing the commissioning and formal handover of all assets and ensures environment completion audits are conducted by supervision consultants.
• Supporting the handover of assets, through the integration of environmental requirements in the operations and maintenance manuals and the provision of training and knowledge transfer.
• Assisting in the development of environmental strategies and plans to be implemented during the operational phase of the project.
• Providing environmental support and guidance to the project event time functional areas, providers and relevant stakeholders.
• Ensuring that all event time service providers comply with all relevant environmental procedures, standards and guidelines, and promotes the development of a positive organisational culture.
• Managing key interfaces in the field, including stakeholder management and market engagement as needed.
• Working closely with event operations functional areas during operations to manage relevant environmental aspects in the field.
• Supervising the preparation of timely and accurate departmental statements and reports to meet department requirements, policies and standards.
• Monitoring and reviewing the environmental studies, plans and reports prepared by event time service providers and other stakeholders.
• Supervising the day to day activities, carries out periodic inspections to ensure compliance with environment standards and identify non-compliance.
• Planning and conducting audits, including preparation of reports, and oversees the implementation of environmental mitigation measures and auditing plans by the relevant parties.
• Assisting in the development of a training programme, covering all the various aspects necessary to raise environment awareness and competency across all levels of the organisation.
• Managing the collection and analysis of environment and sustainability data and reporting, including statistics, performance, and KPIs.
• Assisting with communications, awareness and campaign activities, including the development of event time environmental visual standards to identify good practices across the site.
Your experience, knowledge and skills need to include:
• Minimum of 8 years of professional experience in environmental management and compliance, preferably on major development projects and/or events.
• A good understanding of UAE and specifically Dubai Environment legislation.
• Understanding of operations environment guidelines and legal requirements.
• Knowledge across key event operational functions, and experience in operations environment management for major events is beneficial.
• Worked with multinational and diverse teams.
• Ability to lead and inspire or motivate other staff.
• Fluent in Arabic (written and spoken) is a plus.
• Strong project management skills, including planning and organisational skills.
• Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability.
• Effective communication skills, cultural sensitivity and influencing skills to develop strong relationships.
• Ability to manage key stakeholders and strategic partners’ engagements.
• A relevant university degree (BE or BS) in an environmental discipline.
• With professional environmental certification (ISO, IEMA, NEBOSH or equivalent).
“Mace is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our people to excel.”
About the Company
Mace is an international consultancy and construction company that has delivered world class projects since 1990. Today we employ over 6,000 people across five global hubs in Europe, Middle East North Africa and India, North America, Asia Pacific and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Four simple values guide our behaviour in our pursuit of a better way; Safety first - going home safe and well, Client focus - deliver on our promise, Create opportunity - for our people to excel, Integrity - always doing the right thing. We aim to attract the best and brightest people, whatever their background, to bring new perspectives to some of the most complex and inspiring projects around the world.
We support our people who are aiming to achieve an academic or professional qualification that will help them develop personally and deliver to the highest standard for our clients. At Mace you can deepen your knowledge, expand your skills and define your own path.