Job description / Role
At Jumeirah we are committed to encouraging and developing our colleagues, in a world class environment. We value diversity and equal opportunity, employing over 14,000 colleagues from over 100 different countries including locations in Asia Pacific, CIS, Central Asia, Western and Eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
Designed to resemble a billowing sail, the Burj Al Arab soars to a height of 321 meters dominating the Dubai coastline. At night it offers an unforgettable sight surrounded by choreographed colour sculptures of water and fire. This all-suite hotel reflects the finest that the world has to offer.
About the Job:
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Executive Sous Chef to join the culinary team at the Burj Al Arab. The Executive Sous Chef will assist the Executive Chef in producing and maintaining a high standard of food preparation and presentation required by the hotel.
The Executive Sous Chef’s main duties will include:
• Assist the Executive Chef in writing standard recipes which allow the property to run at an acceptable food cost.
• Assist the Executive Chef in minimizing payroll costs by maximizing the productivity and efficient scheduling of employees.
• Monitor all kitchens operating costs and takes corrective action where necessary to reduce expenses.
• Assist the Executive Chef in developing menus, buffets and "specials" which meet the needs and which comply with company and hotel policies and procedures and minimum standards
• Assist in writing and updating the relevant section of the Departmental Operations Manual.
• Assist in maximizing employee productivity and morale and consistently maintain discipline following hotel guidelines and local legislation.
• Ensure that operating and kitchen equipment is maintained to a good standard with minimum breakage.
• Maintain good working relationship with colleagues and all other departments.
• Have a complete understanding of company policies and adhere to them relating to Fire, Hygiene and Safety.
• Check incoming produce, ensuring that all food merchandise is in accordance with order sheets, receiving records and purchasing specifications.
• Maintain and enforce good hygiene and sanitation procedures.
• Identify market needs and trends in terms of food for both hotel guests and local market, and monitor and analyze the menus and products of competitive restaurants.
In order to be considered for this role you will possess an internationally recognised Culinary qualification or Bachelor’s Degree. You will have at least 1 – 2 year experience working as an Executive Sous Chef role in a five star hotel.
You should have experience gained in European Kitchens/Cuisine with a Michelin star restaurant background and be able to demonstrate experience of working with multicultural teams of 200+ colleagues.
You will also possess extremely strong leadership and communication skills as you will manage a large team of culinary colleagues and will assist in the coordination of manning and recruitment activity, as well as maximising the productivity and scheduling of employees.
As well as the operational experience you will be comfortable working to budgets so able to control all food costs and have a strong eye for attention to detail.
You should have a very good command of the English language; verbal and written and have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
About the Benefits:
This position offers a highly competitive salary and package which includes; housing allowance, annual flight allowance, medical and dental coverage, pension, life and accident insurance, retail and leisure discounts, complimentary use of Jumeirah F&B Outlets and reduced hotel rates.
About the Company
Jumeirah Hotels & Resorts are regarded as among the most luxurious and innovative in the world and have won numerous international travel and tourism awards. The company was founded in 1997 with the aim to become a hospitality industry leader through establishing a world class portfolio of luxury hotels and resorts. Building on this success, in 2004 Jumeirah Group became a member of Dubai Holding - a collection of leading Dubai-based businesses and projects - in line with a new phase of growth and development for the Group.