Job description / Role
The Food Development Manager operates within a manufacturing environment where continuous improvement and close contact with brands are essential to ensure both sides' successful growth and development
Key Performance Area:
- Manage the development of products from idea generation to distribution in the marketplace.
- Evaluate opportunities within the market and based on product portfolio to develop new concepts
- Oversee coordination of concept art and sample creation, securing approvals during the process and finalizing all products and packaging prior to launch.
- Manage and maintain a range of documentation: products' brief, costing, assembly manual, product specifications, etc
- Communicate with brands the different stages of product development and length of the process
- To ensure the consistency in food quality meets or exceeds brand's standards of excellence
- Manage multiple projects within established timelines
- Ensure communication between brand and CPF regarding new product development and consider and represent the best interest of both sides
- Ensure all duties are carried out in line with brand mission statements, company policies and procedures, contracts and market guidelines
- Ensure that Production Managers are informed on new brand's standards, requirements, policies, and products characteristics
- Identify core training/competency requirements for production pre-launch
- Assess the performance of the different areas of the production floor and identify where new processes can be elaborated for product development
- Search / evaluate new ingredients in order to improve the cost and / or quality of the products
- Drive costs savings through efficient use of resources at disposal and coordinate food procurement to gain economies of scale
- Identify new opportunities, whilst applying market knowledge to evaluate the commercial viability of new products and ensuring it is of value for the business
- Cultivate a strong relationship with retail customers to ensure company stays ahead of competitors
- Design, install and commission new production plant
- Provide solution for environmental and food safety considerations, especially in production line design
- Ensure site holds the necessary equipment and structure for the development and production of goods
- Oversee the launch of new products
- Track effects of improvement projects and report on progress
- Carry out equipment and material trials and ensure all settings and procedures are documented in accordance with site and brand procedures
- Maintain and improve current knowledge of any new industry, products, innovations, techniques and equipment development
- Standardize and oversee the menu and recipe development in brands where there is no host brand mandate
- Ensure all culinary standards in all sections comply with company policies and procedures and are stated in the department work instructions
- Ensures all hazards have been assessed with completion of risk assessments
- Establish food processes for teams that are safe and that do not jeopardize quality of products
- Attend weekly NPD meeting and contribute with any adjustments or additional information needed
- Review improvement project process weekly
- Effect a detailed shift handover with designated deputy in the case of absence
- Work closely with support functions (QA, QC, Marketing, Logistics, Maintenance) so as to identify resources and support required in launching new products
- Maintain clear records of each brands know-how by establishing the particular food offer and the best practice
- Assisting in the budget setting, including food cost, kitchen manning and kitchen investment for each site
- Responsible for functional budget, including : ? Equipment ? Any other budgeted figures to agreed amount
- Responsible at all times for ensuring optimum customer service in terms of quality, quantity and punctuality
- Responsible to ensure a attainable new production development and launch, in terms of labour, time frame and budget
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor Degree / Hotel Management degree/ Food Science Degree.
- Experience in the food manufacturing field.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience in casual dining/fine dining or catering operations
Skills & Knowledge:
- Good strong communication skills.
- Experience in modern manufacturing
- Good strong leadership & negotiation skills
- Good strong presentation skills.
- Good strong planning, organizing & autonomous decision-making skills.
- Computer literate.
About the Company
As a leading international franchise operator, with nearly 90 of the world’s most recognised brands in its portfolio, Alshaya Group brings great shopping, dining, leisure and hospitality experiences to millions of customers across the Middle East & North Africa, Russia, Turkey, Europe and beyond.
Alshaya Group is a dynamic multinational business and family owned enterprise with a consistent record of growth and innovation. For 35 years, Alshaya has been a pioneering force in brand franchising, using its exceptional knowledge and experience to expand at pace.
Our portfolio of well-loved international brands includes Starbucks, H&M, Mothercare, Debenhams, American Eagle Outfitters, P.F. Chang’s, The Cheesecake Factory, The Body Shop, M.A.C, Victoria’s Secret, Boots, Pottery Barn, KidZania and, coming soon, Hampton by Hilton.
From one retail franchise store opened in Kuwait in 1983, Alshaya Group has consistently grown and diversified and today offers customers an unparalleled choice of brands across multiple sectors; Fashion & Footwear, Health & Beauty, Food, Optics, Pharmacy, Home Furnishings, Leisure & Entertainment, and Hotels. A diverse, skilled team of 53,000 people from 120 nationalities support more than 4,000 stores, cafes, restaurants and leisure destinations, a growing online business and a commitment to delivering great customer experiences.