Job description / Role
The purpose of the role is to monitor, interpret and advise on international/cross-border taxation law. In particular, our East and West African territories: Liberia, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Ghana, Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda. The role is also responsible for compliance related mandates, such as monitoring tax attributes, overseeing the Group's tax compliance obligations and working with the Business Unit Finance teams to manage end to end tax compliance and information reporting oversight (e.g. tax provision calculations, filings and payments).
* Provide advice on tax implications of operating across multiple borders (e.g. withholding taxes, foreign taxes, local taxes on foreign income and regional tax issues such as EU tax harmonisation).
* Monitor international and local market tax developments, considering ways for the Group to address such developments as they impact on the company.
* Prepare and review tax calculations, tax returns, disclosure filings, and tax payments for the Group
* Oversee the tax compliance relationship with external service providers and regularly liaise with the external service providers to ensure filings and payments are complete, accurate and made on time
* Test and report tax compliance and audit status of the Group
* Manage the withholding tax compliance process, including liaising with relevant parties to ensure all required returns, payments and supporting documentation is complete and accurate, up to date/on file, and where required, submitted on time
* Ensure compliance with relevant transfer pricing rules, including collating and coordinating update of relevant Group transfer pricing documentation relating to the Group's inter-company transactions, and liaising with external service providers where required.
* Ensure compliance with country specific reporting and regulatory requirements, including collation and coordination of tax provision/accrual calculation and other tax related information as required for Group reporting purposes
* Calculate international tax profits, earnings and credits for controlled foreign businesses
* To manage all tax issues across Europe, African and Middle East markets
* Liaise and build relationships with the Finance Managers and Directors, acting as a partner in all respect of tax
* Identify and implement appropriate tax planning projects
* Liaise with internal audit and third party advisors
* Perform similar or related duties and supporting Group projects, as required
* At least 5 years' experience of working in an international tax environment.
* Relevant tax reporting, compliance and planning experience gained in a "Big 4" accounting firm or equivalent experience from internal tax team
* Expertise in East and West Africa
* Experience in transfer pricing, withholding tax, duties and importation
* Detailed knowledge of year end reporting for multi-national groups under IFRS
* Exposure to international tax issues and planning
* Good interpersonal skills
* Excellent presentation skills
* Good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact with senior staff
* Strong attention to detail
* Excellent organisation and time management skills
* Very strong analytical and reporting skills
* Proactive and self motivated
* Practical, hands on approach
* Strong IT skills including advanced level Excel
* Educated to degree level
Additional training /Certification or membership of professional bodies
* CPA/CA/ACCA or tax qualifications such as CTA (Chartered Tax Advisor, UK) or ADIT (Advanced Diploma in International Taxation, UK)
About the Company
We recruit the very best talent for middle management positions across a range of functions and sectors.
Think you've heard all that before? Read on.
We're here to make recruitment better. Better for our clients, our candidates and our own recruitment professionals.
We build relationships, not databases, and add real value that helps organisations and individuals grow. We are a team of functional and sector specialists delivering a genuinely consultative service that is underpinned by the depth of both our market knowledge and the client & candidate networks we have built.
As a part of the Redgrave Group, we work alongside Redgrave Partners, a leading executive search firm. This helped to inspire our unique approach of introducing a search led methodology to the middle management space.
Our clients love it. And as a result, we are one of the fastest growing professional recruitment groups on the planet.
Whether you're hiring or changing jobs yourself, you can't afford to get it wrong. Argyll Scott will ensure you get it right.