Job description / Role
Job Title Harbour Master
• To implement applicable laws and regulations and to manage traffic of all vessels visiting the Port.
• To liaise with the government authorities for handling port Authority’s related activities and issues.
• The role holder is also responsible to liaise with HSE to ensure HSE & ISPS compliance in the port, and ensure all marine service requirements for the port are complied with
• Ensure effective and efficient execution of applicable laws and regulations in the port he is nominated for.
• Oversee that all processes and activities related to the port are carried out in compliance with the guidelines laid down
• Oversee and control the marine movement within the Port Limits
• Ensure maritime laws and regulations set by the Federal Government, Abu Dhabi Government, DOT and Abu Dhabi Ports are enforced in the port and ensure complete adherence to the guidelines
• Be fully aware of international maritime conventions adopted by the UAE and ensure complete compliance with these conventions
• Assist the Chief Harbour Master in developing and implementing maritime strategy for the port
• Work with Abu Dhabi Ports security team as well as the maritime and border security agencies to ensure that the port is secured from a maritime perspective
• Report any navigational hazard (change of depth, wreck, etc)to Marine Information Officer in order to be incorporated in UKHO documents
• Ensure HSE compliance in port related operations and also to monitor the HSSE licensing system. Ensure that safe working environment prevails in the port in order to keep marine risks at a minimum
• Set and follow up performance standards covering Port control, vessel operations and qualifications, training, licensing and performance of personnel for marine operations in the port, and report deficiencies to Chief Harbour Master when necessary
• Review third party risk assessments and ensure implementation of control measures
• Periodically review and amend Navigational Risk Assessment for the Port
• Ensure issue of marine notices and navigation warnings for the ports as well as vessels in liaison with Chief Harbour Master Office
• Coordinate and cooperate with marine operations administrators, Coastguard, and other maritime related authorities in the respective port
• Oversee anti-pollution monitoring, emergency response planning and enforcement of anti-pollution regulations
• Act as a marine incident commander.
• Work with incident management team for conducting investigation and recommending corrective action for marine related incidents and follow up the implementation of corrective action
• Liaise with HSE to ensure full adherence to the ISPS Code (International Security for Ports and Ships) in the port (where applicable)
• Work with the team to timely remove any wreckage that has been created due to various operations being conducted at the port in order to ensure smooth flow of operations
• Report monthly and annually on Port’s marine operations performance
• Make any other report as requested by Chief Harbour Master office
• Perform any other ports related duty as assigned by Chief Harbour Master
• Reporting to: Chief Harbour Master
Key Internal Contacts
• Chief Harbour Master- Work with the HM Division to manage all the harbour operations in the port
• PRC&L- Provide guidance and advice to the HM Main Office
• HSSE Division- Ensure Abu Dhabi Ports are secured from a maritime perspective
• Abu Dhabi Ports Committee- Work with various committees to work on latest developments
Key External Contacts
• DOT, NTA and other government authorities- Ensure effective implementation of rules and guidelines and develop and maintain interaction procedures for vessels berthing and sailing
Objectives and Role Profile
People Management Responsibilities
• Develop departmental budgets in conjunction with the Unit’s budget, track expenses and ensure adherence
• Finalize the manning needs of the department and obtain requisite approvals
• Manage the team by evaluating the performance of team members, providing feedback on an ongoing basis, identifying development needs and coaching them to ensure ongoing capability development
• Conduct trainings for the Abu Dhabi Ports team on various aspects on which the role holder has subject matter expertise
Key Tasks and Performance Indicators
HSE & Security responsibilities
• Lead the Division/ Department toward implementing HSE policy and procedures.
• Align departmental objectives with Corporate HSE objectives and annual action plan.
• Lead the process of identifying hazards in the workplace, risks monitoring and impacts evaluation and ensure that corrective and controlling actions are implemented.
• Maintain an appropriate level of awareness, knowledge and preparedness across the Division/ Department to maintain safe working environment.
• Encourage individuals to report HSE observation, near miss and incident.
• Review Division/ Department HSE Performance and monitor continual improvement.
• Class 1 Master
• Written and Spoken English is essential, Arabic is preferred
• A minimum of 5 - 8 years of relevant experience
• Master and Pilotage experience.
• Port administration (Harbour master) experience
Amount of Travel
• Work At Home
About the Company
As a master developer of ports, we at Abu Dhabi Ports are firmly focused on the big picture – diversification of the UAE economy. Our objective is to act as a catalyst for development and trade in the emirate, allowing our customers and stakeholders to benefit from the highest levels of service, marked by excellence and transparency.
Today, we are competing with the best ports and industrial zones in the world having earned a reputation for exceptional, value-added services.