Job description / Role
Our dedicated Building Surveying and Asset Management Team will proactively undertake surveys and project manage schemes in addition to providing various other services, including contract administration, employer’s agent, project monitoring, specification writing, condition surveys, estate assessment and dilapidations. Surveyors work in close contact with their clients, advising them, amongst other things, on financial and legal matters that arise during the projects. We pride ourselves on the quality of our service to our clients and enjoy long term relationships them.
Overview of Role
We are currently recruiting for a Head of Department for Building Surveying and Asset Management to set up, lead, manage and deliver the agreed annual and medium-term business plan for project management, employer’s agent and contract administration duties. Team management and business development will naturally be a key requirement.
The Head of Department will be responsible for managing the department, in addition to separately delivering technical service lines. They would also act as an ambassador for Rider Levett Bucknall, demonstrating both internally and externally a commitment to client objectives, high professional standards and Rider Levett Bucknall’s ethos and culture.
• Assist the board in development of the business plan, implementation and ongoing review.
• Assist in identification of individual key target clients and contacts, including individual turnover and contribution targets for incorporation within business plan.
• Attend monthly sector meetings to report on progress against business plan, identify business development activity for forthcoming month and to feedback results of previous month’s activity.
• Build customer relationships to ensure high standards of technical service, secure repeat business and develop profitable workload
• Identify opportunities with existing clients to follow up, including cross selling Rider Levett Bucknall other services or regions.
• Prepare proposals and fee submissions
• Attend external functions to raise the profile of Rider Levett Bucknall and to generate new contacts.
• Continually seek opportunities to publicise Rider Levett Bucknall externally or to publicise specific achievements or projects internally.
• Act as Owners Representative or Employers Agent
• Space utilisation planning and churn to maximise efficiencies
• Advising on modern methods of construction
• Determining the condition of buildings, identifying and analysing defects, including proposals for repair and on-going maintenance costs of individual buildings and estates
• Advising on energy efficiency, life cycle costing and environmental impact
• Advising on schemes and projects and determining requirements
• Preparing scheme designs with costing, programmes for completion and specifications of work
• Organising documents for tender, and advising on appointing contractors, designers and procurement routes
• Fund and development monitoring, including independent certifier roles
• Quality monitoring, technical due diligence and compliance inspections
• Advising on the management and supervision of maintenance of buildings
• Dealing with planning applications and advising on property legislation and building regulations
• Advising on the compliance and health and safety aspects of a building
• Preparing insurance assessments, valuations and claims
• Pre-acquisition and disposal surveys
• Funding Applications & Grants, Project Appraisal, Development Framework, Project Feasibility and, Project Monitoring.
• Act as a role model for other staff to demonstrate commitment to Rider Levett Bucknall philosophy and culture, for maintenance of good morale.
• Take line management responsibility for a team of staff, including carrying out development reviews, pay reviews, performance issues etc.
• Identify on-going training needs for team members and arrange for implementation with HR Manager
• Identify recruitment needs, and interview prospective candidates where appropriate.
• Develop career plans for team members and monitor progress of individuals to achieve these plans.
• Monitor fee income and cost of resources to ensure pre agreed business plan target profit margin is achieved.
• Undertake development initiatives as agreed to assist in the achievement of both personal and business objectives.
• Understand and apply the ethics of professional practice.
• Identify and apply legislation relevant to providing a professional service.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a positive proactive approach to the role, and will be committed to delivering service excellence, with good commercial results.
• Degree qualified in Building Surveying or similar technical discipline
• Strong technical delivery experience
• MRICS or membership of other relevant professional body
• Ability to successfully manage complex projects in a proactive and diligent manner
• Previous experience of managing a team
• Experience in generating business development opportunities within current sectors
• Strong track record in delivering projects from inception to completion
• Track record of working with stakeholders
• Client facing, ensuring a high standard of technical delivery
• Excellent communication skills
• Able to build long-term relationships
• A track record of working with teams and managing projects by prioritising workloads and delivering deadlines
• A team player, outgoing, friendly, flexible, enthusiastic and ambitious
• Middle East and/or UAE experience would be beneficial
About the Company
RLB's 35-year presence in the Kingdom continues as we expand our services throughout the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, working on projects in central, eastern and western provinces.
Our extensive expertise covers cost consultancy, project management, facilities management and claims services.
We provide expert management of the relationship between value, time and cost from inception to completion. We do this through our global and local team of experts, who possess a passion for both core services and innovation.
With 4,600 employees worldwide, Rider Levett Bucknall has a truly global reach, and with such scope can offer a local presence to its clients almost without exception. We are committed to our core services and pride ourselves on our dedication to customer care and leading edge service provision.
Operations Manager - Civil Buildings Contractor
BAC Middle East
Director - Civil Construction
Gulf Enterprises Exports
Construction Manager - Civil
Ignite Search & Selection