Job description / Role
ITP Media Group is looking for a Head of Engineering who can provide exceptional technical leadership in all aspects of digital media. You will report directly to our Group Digital Director and will ensure our line of products continue to advance the company's KPIs and overall vision. This role will be a combination of people management, vision setting, execution, and technical leadership and these areas will evolve and differ as we add more people to our team and grow.
What you will get to do:
- Grow our Engineers: Cultivate growth in our engineering team by helping them advance their careers and technical expertise. You'll run effective 1:1s, inspire confidence, and communicate clearly when making decisions that impact your team.
- An experienced development leader: You've driven every stage of a software product from conception to launch to maintenance. You've lead development teams through multiple product releases. You've grown organizations and implemented processes that scale. You've enjoyed watching a product change and evolve over multiple releases, and you've grown a product into a platform.
- Hire a lot: Partner closely with our Talent team to recruit, hire and retain top-tier talent.
- Inspire technical direction: Empower the team to make great technical decisions by leading and facilitating architecture discussions. Bring your best practices to boost engineer’s productivity.
- Be a leader: Be the primary representative and advocate for the engineering team internally and externally.
- Collaborate: Partner with product, design, and other leaders in the company; ensuring engineering is considered during all phases of development.
- Thoughtful planning: Gather product requirements and plan engineering projects, capacity, and longer-term roadmap.
- An experienced developer: You've rolled up your sleeves and made something
- Platform-minded: You build products with wider applications in mind. You understand how complexity grows and how to handle it. You think at the platform level, but aren’t afraid to step outside a platform to innovate.
- An innovator: You take risks to innovate, and know how to balance risk against limited resources and time. You drive a culture of problem solving from first principles, and you keep abreast of technologies and trends that multiply our effort.
You Should Have:
- 15+ years’ experience as an engineer
- 10+ years’ experience as an engineering manager
- Run teams of 10 to 50 engineers
- In-depth knowledge of Drupal 8, plus experience of previous Drupal versions (particularly Drupal 7)
- Excellent knowledge of PHP, including Object Oriented techniques and design patterns. Any experience of other modern PHP frameworks such as Phalcon, Laravel, Yii or Symfony is a distinct advantage
- Experience with modern JS libraries and frameworks like Angular, React & React Native
- Experience using RESTful APIs and asynchronous JS
- Familiarity with native create tools, like Xcode, Android Studio/IntelliJ, and Gradle
- Experience with native Android and iOS SDKs preferred (bonus for Swift/Kotlin)
- Expertise in React Native development & Published at least 10 or more iOS or Android apps
- Excellent understanding of CSS, web browsers, HTTP, cookies, caching, and HTML5 web storage.
- Experience with Search technology like Solr & Elastic Search
- Experience with caching technology like Redis, Varnish & Memcache
- Become well versed in building product-quality software on AWS including experience in designing for high availability, building multi-zone and multi-region architectures, and designing across appropriate SQL and NoSQL data layer technologies.
- Configuration and deployment experience in AWS Cloud:
* AWS apps technologies such as RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, DynamoDB, RedShift
* AWS IaaS Technologies such as EC2, S3, EBS, ELB, VPC, Route 53, CloudFront, WAF
* Hands on experience in DevOps – including Configuration Management, Environment Management, Release Management and Automation
- Strong knowledge of software principles, application architecture, data structures, coding conventions, and security practices.
- Ability and/or interest in working across the technology stack (back-end to front-end).
- Strong communication skills that allow you to convey complex ideas in writing or in person.
About the Company
ITP Media Group (ITP) is one of the largest media companies in the Middle East, with a portfolio of more than 100 brands. The company delivers quality up to date content to its readers, viewers, delegates and guests through digital, print, events, awards, video content, social media platforms and social media influencers. These brands include major international and regional names such as Time Out, Arabian Business, Harper’s Bazaar, Hello! Middle East, Construction Week and Condé Nast Traveller ME. ITP strives to offer its customers the largest audience in the GCC with the highest engagement levels by adopting a 360 degree approach.
Editorial excellence differentiates ITP in its markets and is core to the company’s success and leadership. Our intention is to provide our audience with highly engaging content, but above all, honest, straight reporting: clear, open and impartial commentary, analysis and balanced viewpoints drive our work at all times.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Manager - Strategy Consulting - Technology Practice - Tier One Firm
NSI & Bluefin Talent