Job description / Role
• Manage, lead and direct all teams in school that deal with site/facilities, operations and cost control.
• Manage all associated areas to maintain high levels of health, safety, security and financial control.
• Support the Principal and Taaleem to develop the business in line with the strategic platforms; Growth, Operational Excellence, Developing our People, Customer Endorsement.
• Develop and maintain effective partnerships and engage in positive communication with all staff, senior leaders and the Principal
• Provide leadership for the Facilities Manager and Head of Security. This includes ensuring they adhere to their accountabilities and KPIs, supporting their professional development, conducting appraisals, and addressing performance issues
• Adhere to the school’s policies and procedures and ensure all supervised staff do as well
• Supporting the recruitment of Administrative staff
• Line Management of IT Technicians, Drivers and Administration Assistants
Purchasing and Contract Management
• Serve as the lead in receiving deliveries of stock, confirming all goods meet the requirements specified in the orders, and processing signed invoices and delivery notes
• Provide school based oversight of service related contracts, which includes ensuring providers deliver services per their contract and confirming to Central Office Procurement that all services are rendered as required
• In collaboration with school staff and Central Office Procurement where applicable, assist in the purchase of local supplies and services as required.
• Purchases must adhere with the Taaleem Procurement Policy
• Provide Central Office Procurement with any requested documents in a timely manner to facilitate the payment of any monthly invoices
• Take responsibility, within the limitations of the school budgets, for the proper upkeep of all school furniture, fixtures and fittings and report back to the Principal or delegated person over any issues that may require repair and/or replacement so proper funding can be planned/allocated in advance whenever possible
• Monitor security, cleaning, catering, and other relevant contracts for the school to ensure efficiency, effectiveness and value for money.
• In coordination with Central Office Procurement, prepare any tender documents for renewal or any contract changes
• Responsible for the letting of school premises to outside organizations and school staff, and for the development of all school facilities for out of school use with particular reference to the local community
• Work in conjunction with the school Facilities Manager, Principal, and Central Office Operations on short (immediate), medium (up to and including summer works) and long-term (3-year cycle) maintenance and improvement requirements.
• This includes creating a rolling program of maintenance comprising of decoration, renovation/upgrades and repairs.
• In addition, judicious use of the school’s maintenance budget for minor repairs as well as regular improvements requires proactively seeking the views and vision of the Principal and Central Office Operations
• Relations with ESM and DPA
Health and Safety
• As lead health and safety officer for the school, ensure that all aspects of the school meet / exceed all related requirements stated by Taaleem, government authorities, and the school.
• Any concerns and/or improvements should be immediately reported to the Principal, the Central Facilities Manager (MEP related matters) and the Head of Procurement and Operational Support (all other matters).
• Support the Principal and/or their delegate with the administration of the Crisis Management and Reporting protocol if/when required
• Track accidents and injuries at school. Lead efforts for changes / improvements to any grounds, building, equipment, and/or facilities that may have caused or contributed to accidents or injuries.
• Report such occurrences and remedies to the Principal, the Head of Procurement and Operational Support, and Central Facilities Manager
• Ensure adequate and proper signage related to health and safety are in place
• Ensure effective and safe transportation is provided. This includes school bus transportation and Taaleem drivers as applicable
• Liaise with the school’s HR Advisor and Central Office Procurement and Operational Support section to ensure the preparation, maintenance (if applicable) and departure of staff in Taaleem Provided Accommodation (TPA) meets all requirements.
The primary focus is on TPAs outside of Taaleem Residences in Dubai Studio City.
Responsibilities, which can be delegated to the school’s FM manager to lead, can include
• Support of preparing units, inspecting units and getting teacher’s signature on the inspection checklist
• Cleaning of units at end of tenancies, the changeover of keys
• Submit the final inspection report to Operations Assistant at Central Office with all the payment receipts against utilities which impacts Full and Final Settlements
• Ensuring repairs are adequately performed.
• Familiarize and adhere to the Housing Procedures Document issued by Procurement and Operational Support on all aspects of TPA and the specific roles and timings pertaining to schools
• Manage the school expenditure, revenue accounts and capital budgets in accordance with the Taaleem’s financial regulations and in line with auditor’s recommendations
• Obtain agreement on expenditure with budget holders and provide regular financial reports as required
• Provide regular reports on the financial state of the school to the Principal and SEB
• Use financial management information, especially benchmarking tools, to identify areas of relative spend and advise accordingly. Suggest ways of effecting budget efficiency
• Oversee the school accounting function, ensuring its efficient operation according to agreed procedures, and to maintain those procedures by conducting an annual review
• Provide all information required by the internal auditors and implement any recommendations
• Manage the ordering, processing and payment of all goods and services provided to the school
• Support the preparation of invoices and collection of all fees and other dues
• Maximize income generation including writing bids and securing funds for the school
• Manage reconciliation on monthly basis all school records with those of Taaleem including salaries and supply cover (in conjunction with Principal)
• Ensure that buildings and premises comply with all requirements of the Ministry of Health and Safety Regulations, Municipality, Civil Defense and other Governmental bodies including the education regulator
• Ensure security, cleaning, and contracted staff such as canteen, clinic, and lifeguards have the correct government documentation in place (i.e. occupational health cards) to be authorised to work in the school. Advise the Central Facilities Manager and address any gaps immediately
• Be able to provide copies of all facilities maintenance and other school services contracts to authorities as and when required
• Always be prepared for an inspection from government transportation authorities demonstrating full compliance with government requirements per the Central Office Operations issued checklist
• Provide reports and fines from government inspections including RTA/DOT and update the bus checklist with any new requests resulting from an inspection to the Central Office Transportation Controller immediately
• Ensure compliance with Taaleem policies and procedures, and that other employees are trained in and familiar with relevant policies and procedures including, procurement and health and safety
• Responsible for regulatory and legal compliance in Operations, and all relevant government authorities
• Bachelor Degree or Industry Related qualification at similar level.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in similar role (e.g. facilities, procurement) ideally in an Educational Institution or related service provider Industry.
• Team management, operations management and compliance experience, working with regulatory bodies, strategic planning and business development, strong IT skills and logistics.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and communication skills.
• Ability to problem solve and support staff with complex issues.
• Emphatic to all staff and supportive to overcome problems that affect personal circumstances.
• Visionary in terms of the development of systems and structures yet attention to detail on day to day operational tasks.
About the Company
Taaleem’s main activity is the development and management of early childhood, primary and secondary schools. With quality at the forefront of our offering, we tailor each project to answer the specific educational requirements of a wide range of families by offering top international curricula including British, American, the International Baccalaureate and our custom early childhood programme.
Taaleem, which means education in Arabic, is committed to inspiring students and helping them to identify and develop their passions and talents. We only recruit the best international teachers who are capable of delivering our international curricula in a creative and engaging manner.
Taaleem is seeking to raise the educational standards in the region. The combined experience of its core team of senior education leaders in international education policy, operations and global management best practices means Taaleem is well positioned to ensure the creative of truly exceptional schools that satisfy the most comprehensive and exacting education developmental requirements.