Head of Secondary - September 2023
Job description / Role
About the Role We are looking for a dynamic, hard-working and talented individual to join our Senior Leadership Team as Head of Secondary at GEMS Wesgreen International School, Sharjah from September 2023.
The Head of Secondary will support the Principal/CEO by contributing to and implementing the educational strategy of the secondary school through visionary and inclusive leadership. You will lead the day-to-day operations of the secondary school overseeing all aspects relating to curriculum, teaching and learning and the pastoral welfare of the students.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Supporting the Principal / Vice Principal in the effective and efficient leadership and management of the secondary school, including the successful implementation of the school improvement plan
- Ensuring the smooth and effective day-to-day operations of the secondary phase
- Overseeing the continued development of the secondary curriculum across all key stages
- Developing highly effective pastoral systems to ensure the overall personal and academic wellbeing of the students
- Ensuring high levels of student retention and being instrumental in all marketing activities to promote the school to the wider community
- Overseeing continued improvement in student progress and attainment through high quality teaching and learning and the successful implementation of High Performance Learning
- Ensuring the effective use of assessment strategies and data across the secondary school to inform quality teaching and learning, curriculum development, target setting and ensure students are reaching their academic potential
- Embedding highly effective strategies and opportunities for parental engagement, including regular, high-quality communication between home and school (Pulse)
The successful candidate will:
- Be a vocational and inspirational educator who supports an inclusive learning environment, with the ability to raise standards for all students
- Have had successful experiences of leading and managing staff resulting in improved learning and student outcomes
- Be knowledgeable and confident of the recent developments relating to GCSE and A Level qualifications and other relevant external pathways
- Have extremely high standards and expectations for all, with excellence as the primary goal
- Be strategic and considered in their actions, with a proven track record in school improvement and self-evaluation processes
- Be someone who is visible within the school community, with presence and exuding gravitas both in their appearance and actions
- Believe strongly in and fully support the wider extra-curricular life of the school to develop fully rounded students
As a GEMS employee you can be guaranteed of an excellent, well-resourced professional environment, including working alongside highly driven, committed colleagues and polite and dedicated students. You will have access to significant further professional development opportunities not only at school level but also as part of the wider GEMS network.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate will have significant middle and/or senior leadership experience and will have worked in NCfE schools for at least 7 years. You will also have a degree and Qualified Teacher Status. Further professional development in the form of NPQML / NPQSL or Masters in Education is desirable but not essential.
About Your Benefits \All positions attract an excellent remuneration package including a competitive tax free salary, individual furnished accommodation, tuition fee concession, private medical insurance, annual airfare to country of residence, and end of Service Gratuity.
About the Company
GEMS Education is a pioneering education company with an international network of award winning K-12 schools. Over the past 55 years GEMS has grown from one school to being a truly global company with one incredible mission â€“ to make quality education available to every student. Over 20,000 education professionals unlock the potential of over 250,000 students across 14 countries each and every day, preparing children of all ages for real world success.