Job description / Role
- Working hours for Instructors for University College include teaching 15 - 18 credit hours per week, providing program support and committee work and holding daily office hours.
- Instructors are also required to proctor and grade examinations occasionally including weekends.
- For all English courses, there is a set curriculum and pacing guide, but instructors are encouraged to be pedagogically creative in producing and presenting their own materials and activities in classes. Instructors should be comfortable with educational and instructional technologies including learning management systems such as Blackboard and the use of Smartboards and the integration of dynamic classroom technologies.
In fact, as the United Arab Emirates University has the goal to be "The University of the Future", it is imperative that instructors have previous experience in teaching and facilitating online and blended courses.
UAEU is specifically looking for candidates with a Curriculum Development specialization to expand current English course offerings so subsequent, more advanced courses can be offered to student
- Applicants should have a minimum of three years of experience in similar programs and be comfortable in a multi-cultural environment and online modality.
- Applicants should also be sensitive to the particular cultural considerations of students in the Arabian Gulf region and a diverse expatriate workforce.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, both student-centered instructional approaches and teaching academic writing are essential.
- Applicants should be flexible, independent, and enthusiastic about working in an environment with rapidly changing policies and new educational initiatives, especially those pertaining to online and blended learning modalities, while adhering to punctuality, deadlines, project commitments, administrative policies, and procedures.
- Interested applicants should have a positive, proactive attitude and enjoy volunteering to contribute to dynamic course and program growth and curriculum/materials/design for new educational initiatives.
- An individual with assessment experience, including item writing, vetting, performing analysis using discrimination, standard deviation, and distribution, international benchmarking, ensuring exam validation and reliability, creating data sets to find correlations, and using software to standardize markers is required.
The minimum qualification is a master's degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or a closely related field.
The UAE mandates all teachers to receive equivalency for their degrees.
University College is seeking well-qualified and experienced English language instructors to teach a range of credit- bearing English courses including English for Academic Purposes and General Education English tutorials.
University College caters to matriculating students with an IELTS 5.5/Toefl iBT 62/EmSAT1250 and up.
As well as a relevant master's degree, having an additional master's degree or qualifications in another field is also an advantage.
- Training or qualifications in online and blended teaching and learning are highly preferred.
- Additional specific teaching qualifications such as RSA/Trinity CELTA or DELTA, PGCE, or a similar teaching-focused postgraduate diploma from an accredited institution can be beneficial towards a candidate's application
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.