Job description / Role
The Instructor in the Department of Medical Education will be responsible for supporting the delivery of effective instruction, assessment, research and evaluation in both undergraduate and postgraduate programs at CMHS. It will be an opportunity for the post-holder to demonstrate effectiveness in disseminating best practices in medical education, research and service roles at the institution in an environment of experiential learning where students and faculty are facilitated to grow intellectually and professionally.
- Provide an orientation for faculty, external health care partners and students new to the medical school and to particular aspects of teaching and learning in medicine (including development of schedules, evaluation and analysis of outcomes).
- Participate in teaching undergraduate students in the area of research principles and methodologies, data entry and management
- Support faculty with the development and upgrade of their sessional objectives and alignment to outcomes
- Conduct data management function for medical education research
- Assist in follow-up fulfillment of quality assurance (CAA) requirements and suggestions
- Participate as a PBL/TBL facilitator in at least 2 courses per year
- Contribute to internal faculty development organization, delivery and evaluation
- Support development of e-portfolios across the undergraduate curriculum. This includes development of appropriate mechanisms to ensure students are closing the feedback loop.
- Demonstrate scholarship in medical education
- Assist in organization of medical education-focused regional/national conferences, meeting, workshops , journal clubs
- Identify and troubleshoot appropriate activities and projects that are in alignment with the mission and objectives of the College and Department.
- Answer student and faculty questions and serve as a resource to enhance understanding of education related issues.
- Other duties as assigned by the line manager.
- Bachelor degree preferably in medicine or allied health professions (e.g. nursing, pharmacy, etc.)
- Plus Masters in relevant field and/or PhD in health professions education
- A minimum of three years' experience in their specialized discipline
- Some experience of teaching small and large groups
- Strong interpersonal skills, innovative, team player
- Leadership and organizational skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Effective teaching and presentation skills, both theoretical and practical
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to interact with people at all levels of the organization
- A high degree of computer literacy and demonstrated ability to integrate technology into the learning environment and teaching methodologies
- Current knowledge of medical education, trends and issues
- Theoretical and practical experience of educational research methodology
- Data management and analysis skills to enable research and evaluation
About the Company
Founded in 1976 by the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, UAEU is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling about 14,000 Emirati and international students. As the UAE’s flagship university, UAEU offers a full range of accredited, high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs through nine Colleges: Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Food and Agriculture; Humanities and Social Sciences; IT; Law; Medicine and Health Sciences; and Science. With a distinguished international faculty, state-of-the art new campus, and full range of student support services, UAEU offers a living-learning environment that is unmatched in the UAE.
As a research-intensive university of international stature, UAEU works with its partners in industry to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world. The University has established research centers of strategic importance to the country and the region which are advancing knowledge in critical areas ranging from water resources to cancer treatments. UAEU is currently ranked the number one research university in the GCC, number two in the Arab World, and #370 globally.
UAEU’s academic programs have been developed in partnership with employers, so our graduates are in high demand. UAEU alumni hold key positions in industry, commerce, and government throughout the region. Our continuing investments in facilities, services, and staff ensure that UAEU will continue to serve as a model of innovation and excellence.