Job description / Role
• Contribute to the success of Commercial Bank of Dubai PSC and its subsidiaries through providing a professional in-house service as legal advisor
• Being the main point of contact for all matters related to Islamic Finance and Shariah Compliant transactions, products and services
• Provide all kind of legal support to the Bank,
• To be the first and primary contact for Islamic Finance,
• Handle varied work stream of banking and finance retail and corporate matters and support divisions of the Bank (Lending, Investments, Treasury, Private Banking, Trade Finance, Corporate Finance, Financial Institutions, Compliance, Marketing, etc.) and related products and structures,
• Should be able to provide support to conventional lending and finance teams,
• To be a key figure in the development and growth of the Islamic finance products and services,
• Exposure to specific matters related to debt and equity capital markets, trusts and funds, structured finance, corporate finance, project finance, trade finance, asset management, M&A, asset recovery and restructuring,
• To assist the Bank in procuring that appropriate forms of legal documents are used for dealings with third parties which contain adequate protections and remedies to address credit and event risk, and to help determine that transactions with third parties are valid and enforceable under the laws of all relevant jurisdictions,
• To assist in the negotiation and completion of contractual documentation with customers and counterparties,
• To control the quality and cost of legal services provided by external law firms and overseas counsel (as appropriate),
• Liaise with the Shariah Board and Auditors,
• Review or draft Islamic and conventional standard-form documentation and ensure that it remains appropriate in the light of all legal, Shariah and regulatory developments and all internal policy requirements,
• Conduct Legal Researches and Studies both on Conventional and Islamic Finance,
• Raising the legal awareness throughout the Bank employees,
• Degree in Law from a recognized and well regarded university
• 8+ years of legal experience in Islamic and conventional banking industry
• Good understanding of banking concepts and procedures
• Familiarity with Islamic finance structures, documentation, & products
About the Company
In 1969, when we at Commercial Bank of Dubai started out little did we know that sheer grit and determination would get us where we are today. An Emiri Decree issued by His Highness the Late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, the founder of modern Dubai, laid the cornerstone of Commercial Bank of Dubai. We started out as a joint venture of Commerzbank, Chase Manhattan Bank and Commercial Bank of Kuwait. A minority stake was held by a few UAE businessmen.
By 1982, little more than a decade later, we evolved into a National Public Shareholding company. A feat complimented by an exponential increase in the capital base and mammoth restructuring of our operations. The feather in the cap came when the Government of Dubai became a key shareholder.
Over the decades, we have transformed ourselves into a progressive and modern banking institution. We are supported by a sturdy financial base and reigned by a strong and stable management. The proof of which lies with our customers who have stood by us over the years.