Job description / Role
We are looking for a dynamic, independent and qualified Legal Counsel as a part of the new joint venture Gulf Entertainment? with Cinepolis.
The role would be to safeguard business interests and optimize Cinepolis current and future profitability by providing pragmatic, contextual legal advice and negotiation services in relation to leases, construction contracts, project management services and related matters.
Gulf Entertainment LLC is a JV between the Al Tayer Group and Cinepolis which will bring the best of cinema exhibition to the region.
About Cin?polis: Cin?polis was founded in 1971 in Mexico and currently operates in 13 countries (outside the GCC) including US, Spain, India and Brazil. It is the second largest cinema exhibitor in the world in terms of cinema attendance operating over 5,000 screens.
About Al Tayer Group: Established in 1979, Al Tayer Group is a privately-held, diversified company with operations in 12 countries in the Middle East and beyond.? With over 9,000 employees from over a 100 different nationalities, the Group has its headquarters in Dubai, UAE. It operates across 9 key sectors including Retail, Motors and Real Estate"
- Act as legal point of contact for all key business relationships, driving identification and negotiation of key terms.
- Attend internal and external meetings to drive the conclusion of all key contracts.
- Escalate complex legal issues to Board, shareholders' counsel and Cinepolis General Legal Counsel to ensure the appropriate scrutiny and legal support is provided.
- Monitor the legal and regulatory environment, including changes to laws and regulations that may impact the Company's commercial and operational interests.
- Identify and assess legal, commercial and operational risks during pre-contract risk assessment, deal negotiations and execution, to protect Company interests.
- Develop action plans to address identified deficiencies and/or opportunities for improvement to minimise risk exposure for the business with particular focus on lease exposure and constructional fit-out.
- Drive contract negotiations with principals and opposing counsel with a view to securing optimal risk allocation and maximising benefit for the Company.
- Lead, or co-lead with external counsel, the drafting, negotiation and finalisation of key contracts.
- Oversee the formulation of new business and company structures to ensure legal terms are in the best interests of the Company.
- Monitor the legal and regulatory guidelines and framework to ensure changes to existing and new laws and regulations are reflected in internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and mitigation of legal risks.
- Advise relevant senior management of relevant changes to the legal and regulatory framework that could impact the Company's business.
- Oversee internal elements of pre-trial work/arbitration/dispute resolution and manage the risks associated with external legal representation to ensure the company is adequately protected.
- Evaluate potential litigation cases to present recommendations to senior management to decide on appropriate legal action.
- Support in managing litigation and arbitration.
- Manage external legal advisors and oversee the quality of deliverables to ensure the service levels provided are aligned to the Company's standards and expectations.
- Co-ordinate closely with the legal departments of each shareholder to ensure alignment.
- Develop and maintain long-term business relationships with all relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in either law or a non-law subject with a law conversion qualification in the UAE
- Minimum 8 years' legal experience ideally in both private practice and in-house, with at least 4 years' post-qualified experience in a construction and/or real estate role, leading negotiations in the GCC region.
- Solid knowledge of regional and applicable international legal and regulatory frameworks and guidelines as they apply to the construction and real estate industries
- Strong business and commercial acumen
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Strong analytical thinking, influencing and decision-making skills
- Strong networking, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Requirement to travel within GCC as and when required
About the Company
Established in 1979, Al Tayer Group is a privately-held, diversified company with operations in 12 countries in the Middle East and beyond. With over 7,800 employees from 95 different nationalities, the Group has its headquarters in Dubai, UAE.
Al Tayer Group operates leading, quality-focused businesses in automobile sales and service, luxury and lifestyle retail, perfumes and cosmetics distribution, engineering as well as interiors contracting. The Groups portfolio includes several of the worlds leading brands such as Armani, Bvlgari, Banana Republic, Ford, Ferrari, Gucci, Gap, Harvey Nichols and Maserati. The Group operates over 180 stores across multiple markets in the Middle East. In addition, Al Tayer Group has investments in commercial real estate, contracting, supply chain management, precision tools manufacturing and travel agency services.