Job description / Role
The purpose of this role is to provide financial information and reporting analysis to university management in order to make informed business decisions.
- Establishes and enforces proper accounting methods, policies and principles.
- Sets financial accounting objectives and provides recommendations for improvements.
- Supports in developing financial solutions and models that contribute to the achievement of the University's strategic objectives, diversifying revenue and driving value for money whilst planning and providing for financial sustainability.
- Builds and maintains relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, relating to academic and other staff at all levels and ensuring a high level of responsiveness and accountability to the University community at all times.
- Directly supports the Director of Finance in effectively controlling and managing the University's budget, through income generation and cost effectiveness.
- Undertakes other duties that may be required upon request of not only the Director of Finance, but the Chairman, Chancellor and Vice Chancellor as well.
- Monitors and analyses accounting data and produces financial reports or statements on a monthly basis.
- Provides reports to external stakeholders ex. Statistical Bureau.
Validation of data on the system
- Validates accounting, payment and receipt transactions performed by the individual accountants and ensures accuracy of the entries in the accounting system.
Manage External Auditors
- Provides relevant data to auditors and facilitates the process until closure.
Follow up on System enhancement project with ERP team
- Reviews and develops workflow within the accounting function and ensures continuous improvement of the same from both effectiveness and efficiency perspective.
- Assigns projects and directs staff to ensure compliance and accuracy.
- Manages and oversees the daily operations of the accounting department including Accounts Payables and Receivables, Payroll, and GL.
- Prepares financial statements, cash management, investment management, banking relations and others.
- Plans and allocates resources to effectively staff and accomplish the work to meet departmental productivity and goals.
- Manages the team's performance, provides regular feedback, and ensures individual employee development needs are addressed.
- Coordinates events with ADU teams on payments received and creates financial records.
- Prepares all supporting information/documentation for the annual audit and liaise with internal and external auditors as necessary.
- Manages and prepares the cash flow forecasts in accordance with the policy.
- Develops and maintains in a timely manner accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the intended stakeholders in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Supports on service delivery in the finance function, ensuring it is fully aligned to the University's Mission, Vision and Values.
- Helps to ensure that resources are used to provide a professional, cost effective, customer driven and high quality service, with an appropriate focus of energy on efficiency, compliance, control, risk and insight.
- Assists in continuously building capabilities of the team to ensure good succession planning in all finance functions.
- Champions the Finance Department by fostering a team spirit, thus ensuring that staff are motivated to work to their full potential and individual contribution is optimized.
- Bachelor degree in Commerce or business.
- Professional certifications such as CPA, CMA or ACCA.
- Masters in Finance or Accounting is a plus.
- 6 years of experience with a min of 2 years in a managerial role.
- Ability to work under pressure, Ability to Make decisions and defend them, Familiarity with Oracle products
- English is a must, Bilingual (English + Arabic) is a plus.
- Critical Thinking & Innovative Approach
- Ability to work flexibly and operate strategically within a busy and complex environment; dealing with competing demands in order to produce high quality responses; pay attention to detail and possess a very high standard of accuracy; be highly motivated with proven organisational and administrative experience.
- Interpersonal skills
- An ability to interact and build networks with colleagues across all departments and external stakeholders; demonstrate a strong service focus with the skills to positively influence and negotiate; demonstrate an awareness of and empathy for the cultural environment and specific needs of the academic community.
- Staff Management
- Proven ability to lead, inspire and manage a team; coach, train and mentor staff as required; manage and develop talent and ensure robust succession planning measures are in place; establish robust staff management practices and procedures; pro-actively tackle issues and disputes in a constructive manner and implement performance management measures.
- Problem Solving
- Capable of working on own initiative and also in a team; to multi-task within a busy environment; able to prioritise tasks and work under time constraints; ability to prioritise and be a dedicated professional, committed to delivering a service whilst carrying a wide-ranging and considerable work load.
- Written: Can produce written communications that reflect the standing of the University.
- Verbal - A demonstrated ability to interact with people at all levels, both internal and external to the organisation; demonstrate emotional intelligence and communicate with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- IT Technology
- Highly developed computer skills with use of IT as a driver of efficiency; experience of databases, spreadsheet applications, financial information systems and other Microsoft Office products.
About the Company
Abu Dhabi University is the largest private university in the UAE and is committed to becoming the institution of choice for students across all Emirates and more widely in the region.
With four Colleges offering over 40 undergraduate and postgraduate programs, campuses in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Dubai and Al Dhafra Region, and multiple affiliations with globally renowned institutions, a UAE-wide, truly international quality education is guaranteed for all of our students.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Ziad Galadari Group