Job description / Role
Souq.com is the largest ecommerce site in the Arab world. Every month, Souq.com attracts more than 41 million visits to its catalogue of more than 8.5 million unique products in 35 different categories, including consumer electronics, household goods, fashion, watches, perfumes, toys, and baby products. Established in 2005, Souq.com today operates both as an award-winning retail business and an online marketplace that allows SMEs, merchants, brands and distributors to distribute their products online.
THE SUCCESSFUL SVM WILL BE ABLE TO
• Act as the ‘business owner’ for assigned categories, possessing a complete understanding (inclusive of the strategic context) of internal and external variables that impact your business (this entails owning forecasting, monitoring, understanding and reporting on the business, along with responsibility for driving projects and promotions to achieve business objectives)
• Have a thorough understanding of the industry, seasonality and business trends/events, and continually monitor competitor/industry developments
• Maximize Amazon’s business profitability and selection expansion opportunities
• Have a complete understanding of the customer needs, both existing and potential, and use that knowledge to advocate for and drive delivery of site features that provide Amazon customers with an unparalleled shopping experience
• Manage vendor relationships - manage supplier/partner contracts, manage day-to-day relationships, and negotiate and secure marketing funds
• Create business plans for new opportunities and develop and execute project plans for the launch of new features, incorporating merchandising and pricing strategies
• Coordinate cross-functional teams, and communicate with internal and external parties, while meeting tight deadlines
• Conduct financial analysis of business opportunities to meet and exceed revenue and profitability targets
• Define strategies to deliver best-in-class customer experience while delivering profitable growth in the retail category
• Develop knowledge of supply/ demand trends and success drivers of your category
• Establish relationships and negotiate agreements/deals with leading manufacturers and brands. Drive new product launches and additions in the category
• Execute and lead projects to more efficiently source stock, manage prices, execute promotions
• Collaborate with vendors and merchandizing teams on promotions and marketing initiatives and coordinate with the Merchandising team to execute these activities
• Collaborate with operational teams to ensure healthy inventory levels while managing stock-out/ overstock risk
• Participate in day-to-day operational aspects of the category, including gathering and addressing customer feedback, price monitoring, business improvement initiatives.
• Be an ambassador within the industry and continuously enhance Souq's position.
• While this role will be hired for UAE Region, the employee would be required to work out of KSA.
• Excellent business judgment with strong written and oral communication skills
• Superior analytical abilities and quantitative skills. Comfortable with complex financial data.
• Polished communication skills - speaking, writing, presenting and negotiating
• High threshold for working in an ambiguous, fast paced environment start-up like environment – figuring it out and adapting as you go
• Ability to operate simultaneously and effectively in both tactical and strategic modes
• A willingness to roll up sleeves to get it done
• Experience in vendor negotiations, pricing and promotion, inventory management, and product development
• Proficient in Excel
• Ability to think and lead in a high-energy, fast-paced environment
• Comfortable with “hands-on” management of tasks, and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
• Ability to own, manage and speak to a P&L
About the Company
Amazon.ae, formerly Souq.com, is an English-Arabic language e-commerce platform, owned by Amazon, Inc. It is the largest e-commerce platform in the Arab world. On March 28, 2017, Amazon.com Inc. confirmed it would be acquiring Souq.com for $580 million. On May 1, 2019, Souq.com became known as Amazon.ae.