Job description / Role
Serco Middle East is recruiting for a new Managing Director to manage the Growth team who are responsible for ensuring the organisation can meet and exceed its Business Development targets across all 3 key sectos (Integrated Facilities Services (IFS), Transport and Aviation / Defence). This key role for the organisation is responsible for driving sustainable business growth through the acquisition of new business through the Middle East Growth Team, working closely with the Managing Directors of each sector to ensure that the new business is in line with the sector strategy and will result in sustainable, deliverable growth..
This role is a new position in the Serco Middle East organisation, with the responsibility for Business Development having recently been removed from each sector and centralised under the Chief Executive. The growth agenda is built on both the established critical relationships with our key customers as well as finding new key clients in the current marketplace as well as looking at where expansion into new markets is required and feasible.. The role will also be incredibly rewarding, as the services provided by Serco are helping people everyday to make their lives better, whether this is in a business context, or in regards to the various sectors such as providing rail services, or Air Traffic Control services to citizens and residents in the countries in which we operate.
At the end of this advert are the key technical competencies and experiences required for the role. Please review these carefully.
The role will report into David Greer, Chief Executive Officer, and is based in the Serco Middle East Head Office in Rolex Towers in Dubai.
The MD will manage
- The Middle East Growth team comprising Business Development and Growth Support.
The following Key Relationships will also be crucial to the success of this role.
- Managing Directors of the Sectors.
- Prime Customer Stakeholders working with Operations Director and Contract Directors.
- Director, Bid Development.
- Executive Management Team.
- Relevant Support Functions Stakeholders (HR, Finance, Marketing etc).
Below are the Key accountabilities for the role.
- Take responsibility and accountability for Growth and Business Development across all sectors in the Middle East.
- Working with the Managing Directors, take responsibility and accountability for delivering an effective Business Growth Strategy for each sector with particular focus on Key Account Management, External Communications and Proactive Stakeholder Engagement
- Be directly accountable for the achievement of the Division's Business Development and Growth targets.
- Develop the pipeline for each sector to grow the business in accordance with agreed targets.
- Manage and develop multiple customer relationships for the key accounts in the region.
- Perform and carry out other duties as instructed / directed by the Chief Executive Officer.
Strategy and Plans
- To work with key stakeholders in developing business development strategies and plans aligned to the Middle East and Serco Group strategies, that will achieve short, medium and long-term profitable growth targets and then implementing those plans.
- To shape the long-term business development strategy of the Middle East region.
- To actively participate in collective decisions concerning Middle East strategy and issues as a member of the Middle East Executive Team.
Growth and Financials
- To develop and manage a long-term and sustainable bid pipeline to ensure growth targets are achieved.
- To help win major bids, re-bids or new bids for new customers.
- To encourage and support initiatives across the Middle East and Group which maximize resource to win cross-organisational opportunities.
- To critically evaluate opportunities and ensure bids are executed to a high standard and resourced appropriately and resources are optimized.
- To ensure Governance is applied in line with the Serco Business Governance and Life Cycle Process.
Customers and Markets
- To shape markets and gain early market intelligence.
- To deliver market development plans both domestically and internationally to ensure products and services remain at the leading edge.
- To lead and engage in the development of a network of senior relationships with customers, potential customers, partners and stakeholders to be positioned for profitable growth.To ensure effective marketing communications such that existing and potential customers and influencers understand our value proposition and brand where appropriate.
- To develop and leverage capabilities across Serco to meet new and future customer requirements.
- To maintain knowledge of Serco market place, customer trends and issues and associated solutions to facilitate the development of strategic opportunities.
- To maintain up-to-date knowledge of the Industry landscape including technological solutions, service offerings and delivery capabilities to facilitate high performing partnerships offering innovative solutions.
- To maintain extensive knowledge of competitors and their strategies in own and related markets and maintain a current catalogue of competitor analyses.
Organisation and People
- To provide leadership such that all employees involved in growth and business development understand and adopt the strategy and plans and are motivated to achieve their objectives.
- To ensure outstanding growth and business development teams are recruited, professionally managed and developed and behave in accordance with the Governing Principles.
- To drive the sales and bid governance as a tool to win and execute business in order to operate within best practice procedures and meet corporate and legal requirements.
- To plan and control bid costs to minimise risk to Serco.
The following are the key Skills and Experiences required for the role.
Serco is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities and is committed to ensuring the safety of all of its employees through its Zero Harm initiative.
- Typically degree qualified or equivalent post-graduate training/qualification.
Technical and Professional Skills and Knowledge
- Prior experience of working and living in GCC is desirable.
- Proven track record of winning new business and delivering challenging growth targets.In depth knowledge of customer base and at least one of Serco's Business Sectors (Transport, Aviation and Defence or Integrated Facilities Services).
- Good understanding across all Serco functions to ensure appropriate levels of performance and challenge.
- A pervasive knowledge of business organisations at strategic level.
- An understanding of the Middle East regional business environment from stakeholder behaviour to current contract circumstances.
- A natural consultancy style which constructively challenges the business and builds relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey complex information in an easily understood format.
- Capacity to contribute to strategic business management issues.
- Ability to influence senior management, establish and maintain collaborative partnerships and provide thought leadership at senior healthcare events.
- Highly skilled influencer with excellent negotiation skills.
- Ability to manage a defined budget, ensuring cost efficiency and value for money; and to forecast and prepare team budget plans and manage the implementation of spend against agreed objectives.
- Exposure to and interpretation of the financial management of simple and complex organisation.
- Able to demonstrate the competence in the productive use of resources to achieve end result within stiff constraints.
- Ability to operate within the ethics and values of the Serco group.
- Minimum 10 years Business Development experience for a company of similar industry and size is required and
- Minimum 5 years at an executive board level experience is required.
- Experience of forging partnerships and alliances with public and private sector customers and other relevant stakeholders.
- Evidence of successful completion of significant new business in similar sectors to Serco.
- Proven ability to set, monitor and achieve safety objectives.
- Previous Bid Management experience is desirable.
Additional Features of the role
- Ensure compliance with the Serco Management System and all relevant business processes, procedures and work instructions to deliver all work with appropriate quality and governance standards.
- Ensure security and integrity of all data provided including reporting performance, finance and customer information; reference Serco non-disclosure policy.
- To exercise personal duty of care for their own health, safety and welfare and for those affected by their acts or omissions; reference SMS GSOP-HSE1-6 Serco organisational HSE responsibilities.
- Ensure compliance with all training requirements of Serco and ensure adherence to these requirements at all times whilst in employment.
- Report any accidents, incidents, breaches or potential breaches to appropriate management or the Serco "Speak up" process.
About the Company
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Serco customers are looking for expertise in managing their people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise economic decision makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver quality services directly to the public.
Serco supplies to governments, government enterprise, agencies and companies who seek a trusted outsourcing partner with a solid track-record of service excellence. Serco people offer operational, logistical and technical expertise in the Transport, Justice and Immigration, Defence, Education and Healthcare industries as well as in the commercial sectors of Facilities Management.
Serco Middle East have been in the Region since 1947, starting out delivering Air Traffic Control Services in Bahrain; a service we are proudly still running today and have expanded to include many other Airports in the region.
We have expanded significantly since that time across the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. We have been supporting the RTA to operate the Dubai Metro since 2009, are preparing to launch the flagship Saudi Arabia Passenger Rail service from Riyadh to Qassim in 2016. We deliver Facility Management services to both Cleveland Clinic and Healthpoint Hospitals in Abu Dhabi, large-scale medical facilities in Saudi Arabia and a range of educational and commercial properties in the UAE. We also deliver postgraduate education to Officers in the Qatar Armed Forces through the Joaan Bin Jassim Joint Command and Staff College in Doha.
Focusing on our core values, and creating a positive environment for employees to thrive, we look forward to a bright future as we continue to grow with the region.