Job description / Role
Serco Middle East is recruiting for a new Managing Director to run the Integrated Facilities Services (IFS) division. This key role for the organisation is responsible for driving sustainable business growth through the acquisition of new business through the Middle East Growth Team, and transitioning / implementing these deals driving through into successful delivery, meeting required revenue and profit targets for each contract.
This role will be a challenging role, to not only continue the excellence in delivery which has been a hallmark of Serco's IFS business to date, but also to continue to deliver the growth agenda and build on the established critical relationships with our key customers. The role will also be incredibly rewarding, as the services provided by Serco are helping people everyday to make their lives better, whether this is in a business context, or in regards to Healthcare or Education.
At the end of this advert are the key technical competencies and experiences required for the role. Please review these carefully.
The role will report into David Greer, Chief Executive Officer, and is based in the Serco Middle East Head Office in Rolex Towers in Dubai.
The MD will manage
- The Portfolio Contract Managers who will lead the Contract Managers in delivering committed business contracts.
- The Assurance Manager who will ensure compliance with the Serco Management System.
The following Key Relationships will also be crucial to the success of this role.
- Managing Director, Growth.
- Middle East Growth Team.
- Prime Customer Stakeholders working with Operations Director and Contract Directors.
- Executive Management Team.
- Relevant Support Functions Stakeholders (HR, Finance, Marketing etc).
Below are the Key accountabilities for the role.
- Take responsibility and accountability for the contracts that make up the IFS sector in the Middle East.
- Lead Stakeholder Engagement activities across the Sector and assume prime responsibility for Client Account relations at Mubadala and supporting responsibility for Client Accounts at Dubai Airport and Dubai RTA.
- Working with the Contract Directors, take responsibility and accountability for delivering the service to the customers of the IFS sector and achieving business objectives and performance targets. The Contract Directors oversee the operation of each contract and have total accountability for the delivery of business targets in including; finance, human resource management, programme control, public relations, marketing, business development, administration, safety, quality and security.
- Be directly accountable for the achievement of the Division's targets.
- Manage day to day relationships with customers across contract/s to resolve issues and problems.
- Develop the pipeline for the IFS sector to grow the business in accordance with agreed targets.
- Take overall responsibility for managing safety, regulatory, reputation and security risks associated with incidents and/or failures of service delivery of prestigious or critical public services.
- Manage and develop multiple customers across a range of operational activities or locations.
- Perform and carry out other duties as instructed / directed by the Chief Executive Officer.
Strategy and Plans
- Participate as a member of the Serco Middle East Divisional Management Executive team.
- Own the development of robust strategies for the IFS business that aligns to the corporate strategy and will deliver sustainable growth and enhance reputation within the specified market.
- Play a proactive role in shaping the IFS strategy of the parent organisation;
- Develop, own and implement plans that will deliver business strategy to maximum effect.
- Actively participate in collective decisions concerning Middle East strategy and issues as a member of the Middle East Executive Team.
- Plan for future development in IFS in line with strategic business objectives.
- Conduct regular reviews of plans, monitoring and take action to ensure business targets are met, including submitting accurate and timely reports.
- Focus on the future direction of the Division, to include implementation of continuous improvement initiatives, and strengthen the customer relationship to enable the success of future rebids.
Growth and Financials
- Be responsible for existing and new IFS contracts in the Middle East.
- Take direct accountability for the achievement of the business targets across the IFS business units within the territory.
- Encourage and support initiatives across the Middle East and Group which maximise resource to win cross-organisational opportunities.
- Work closely with the Growth Director to ensure strategies are in place to maximise the delivery of organic growth and new business in line with the commitment to the business targets.
- Ensure effective financial management is in place to achieve turnover, profit and cash targets and to meet legal requirements.
- Support the growth of other Serco businesses by effective transfer of knowledge and capability.
- Support the organic growth of the business by providing expertise and leadership to rebids in own area.
- Ensure Governance is applied in line with the Serco Business Governance and Life Cycle Process.
Customers and Markets
- Be responsible for enhancing Serco's relationships with high-level customers across all government departments relevant to the IFS business activity.
- Lead in the development of a network of relationships with key customers, potential customers, partners and stakeholders to anticipate and meet customer's existing and future needs and enhance Serco's reputation.
- Shape markets and gain early market intelligence in the relevant business areas.
- Ensure the business delivers a level of service and added value that fosters the development of a long-term partnering relationships.
- Ensure the optimisation and utilisation of all facilities and assets to deliver the best value to the customer.
- Develop and leverage capabilities across Serco to meet new and future customer requirements.
- Maintain knowledge of Serco market place, customer trends and issues and associated solutions to facilitate the development of strategic opportunities.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the IFS Industry landscape including technological solutions, service offerings and delivery capabilities to facilitate high performing partnerships offering innovative solutions.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of competitors and their strategies in own and related markets.
- Represent Serco when meeting with the customers, stakeholders, the financial community and the public in order to enhance reputation and foster a partnership approach to relationships.
- Lead customer service excellence and a continuous improvement culture, so that the business remains at the leading edge of service delivery and value.
- Develop an excellent relationship with the contract/s customer/s, to anticipate future needs and continue to deliver growth and margin for Serco; and value for money for the customer.
Organisation and People
- Contribute towards Serco-wide corporate governance/good practice development, through membership of a board or steering committee.
- Provide leadership to the business such that all team members understand and adopt the strategy and plans, involving the team members as appropriate, and are motivated to achieve their objectives.
- Ensure outstanding IFS teams are recruited, professionally managed and developed and behave in accordance with the Governing Principles.
- Work closely with other Serco leaders to ensure the effective transition of new business.
- To ensure that the business has an efficient and effective operating structure that maximises value for Serco and the customer including leveraging shared service facilities as appropriate.
- Excellent people leadership skills. Must be skilled in communicating, cross cultural management, organisational culture development and motivating staff.
- Politically incisive in communicating effectively with government agencies, board members, media/press, contractors and staff.
- Highly motivated and flexibility to work in a time-sensitive environment to respond quickly and effectively to unanticipated high workloads, events and emergencies.
- Excellent analytical reasoning ability and capable of making decisions on complex matters.
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of safety and environmental issues related to IFS operations.
- Ensure that a best practice framework is in place for the delivery of the contract/s using processes, procedures and systems which are aligned with those of the company.
- Work with colleagues to develop operational good practice, exploit potential synergies and economies of scale.
- Ensure appropriate corporate governance is in place to comply with health, safety, assurance and other legal requirements, and ensure that Corporate Responsibility is effectively delivered.
- Reward the team, aligned to market rates, and recognise people for delivering great service.
Sector Relevant Competence
- Maintain a strong understanding of the IFS Sector including knowledge of new technologies and opportunities in the sector and where Serco may be able to gain a competitive advantage.
- Lead the development of the team's technical competence, ensuring this is up to date and relevant to the current and prospective customers
Serco is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities and is committed to ensuring the safety of all of its employees through its Zero Harm initiative.
The following are the key Skills and Experiences required for the role.
- Typically degree qualified or equivalent post-graduate training/qualification.
Technical and Professional Skills and Knowledge
- Prior experience of working and living in GCC is desirable.
- In depth knowledge of customer base and Serco IFS business. Including non-clinical support services into hospital environments.
- Experience of delivering multiple service lines into hospital, education or commercial facilities.
- An understanding of existing and emerging health care and FM laws and regulations is preferred.
- Good understanding across all Serco functions to ensure appropriate levels of performance and challenge.
- A pervasive knowledge of business organisations at strategic and operational levels.
- An understanding of the Middle East regional business environment from stakeholder behaviour to current contract circumstances.
- A natural consultancy style which constructively challenges the business and builds relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey complex information in an easily understood format.
- Ability to see problems as opportunities and to manage well under pressure.
- Capacity to contribute to strategic business management issues.
- Ability to influence senior management, establish and maintain collaborative partnerships and provide thought leadership at senior healthcare events.
- Highly skilled influencer with excellent negotiation skills.
- Ability to manage a defined budget, ensuring cost efficiency and value for money; and to forecast and prepare team budget plans and manage the implementation of spend against agreed objectives.
- Exposure to and interpretation of the financial management of simple and complex organisation.
- Able to demonstrate the competence in the productive use of resources to achieve end result within stiff constraints.
- Ability to operate within the ethics and values of the Serco group.
- Minimum 10 years Business Development and operational experience for a company of similar industry and size is required Specialist IFS experience is essential.
- Minimum 5 years at an executive board level experience is required.
- Experience of forging partnerships and alliances with public and private sector customers and other relevant stakeholders.
- Experience of building and leading ad hoc, multidiscipline teams.
- Proven track record of winning new business and delivering challenging growth targets.
- Demonstrated ability in leading, managing and developing multi-cultural teams to implement large scale projects.
- Experience of managing complex, safety orientated business organisations.
- Proven ability to set, monitor and achieve dynamic safety objectives.
Additional Features for the role
- Ensure compliance with the Serco Management System and all relevant business processes, procedures and work instructions to deliver all work with appropriate quality and governance standards.
- Ensure security and integrity of all data provided including reporting performance, finance and customer information; reference Serco non-disclosure policy.
- To exercise personal duty of care for their own health, safety and welfare and for those affected by their acts or omissions; reference SMS GSOP-HSE1-6 Serco organisational HSE responsibilities.
- Ensure compliance with all training requirements of Serco and ensure adherence to these requirements at all times whilst in employment.
- Report any accidents, incidents, breaches or potential breaches to appropriate management or the Serco "Speak-up" process
About the Company
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Serco customers are looking for expertise in managing their people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise economic decision makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver quality services directly to the public.
Serco supplies to governments, government enterprise, agencies and companies who seek a trusted outsourcing partner with a solid track-record of service excellence. Serco people offer operational, logistical and technical expertise in the Transport, Justice and Immigration, Defence, Education and Healthcare industries as well as in the commercial sectors of Facilities Management.
Serco Middle East have been in the Region since 1947, starting out delivering Air Traffic Control Services in Bahrain; a service we are proudly still running today and have expanded to include many other Airports in the region.
We have expanded significantly since that time across the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. We have been supporting the RTA to operate the Dubai Metro since 2009, are preparing to launch the flagship Saudi Arabia Passenger Rail service from Riyadh to Qassim in 2016. We deliver Facility Management services to both Cleveland Clinic and Healthpoint Hospitals in Abu Dhabi, large-scale medical facilities in Saudi Arabia and a range of educational and commercial properties in the UAE. We also deliver postgraduate education to Officers in the Qatar Armed Forces through the Joaan Bin Jassim Joint Command and Staff College in Doha.
Focusing on our core values, and creating a positive environment for employees to thrive, we look forward to a bright future as we continue to grow with the region.